1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bug screen for bumper slot & horn...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ToyTrainGuy, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Apr 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    ToyTrainGuy

ToyTrainGuy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Deland, Fl.
    We have a lot of bugs in Florida, so in March I requested info about how to cover the bumper slot intake so that bugs would not splatter themselves all over my new radiator & condenser. Again, the other day, I asked again about the same subject, but no one replied either time. I guess no one else cares, but just in case, what I ended up doing was taking a piece of stainless wire mesh & covering it with household screening. I was stunned on how easily the grille pops out to get better access to the bumper slot. I just bent the 1/4" squares SS wire mesh into a L-shape, pushed it up behind the bumper slot from the top with the grille out, & fastened the other leg of the L-shape to the top of the aluminum bumper (behind the facia). I am using a FIA screen for the grille, but now the bugs can't blow through the bumper slot either. I am surprised that no one makes a kit to do this.
    Also, while in there, I was surprised to see "covers" snapped over the horns! Anyone know why they were there? The horn is too loud? Weird....

2. May 15, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    ToyTrainGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Deland, Fl.
    Making the bug-screen was easy, but figuring out how to post a picture is not for some us. Do you need to put the picture on another website like Flickr, before you can add an image here? When I hit the "include an image" link I get post your URL, but I am lost if it does not include the "browse" button. Help!

3. May 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    ToyTrainGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Deland, Fl.
    Looking down behind the grille on the left side, you can see the top of the aluminum bumper where I used a self-tapping screw (on both sides) to secure the L-shaped S.S. wire mesh, covered with household screen, placed behind the Bumper-Slot. I also secured the mesh to top of the bumper-slot using tabs & S.S. screws. A total of four screws is all that was needed.

[​IMG]

4. May 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    ToyTrainGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Deland, Fl.
    This was only a 3-hour drive in Florida, during Love-Bug season. Fia makes a great screen for the grille, don't they think the bugs will come in the bumper-slot too?? I fashioned the bumper-slot screen (above) a few days before this & my radiator / condensor still look like the day they left the factory.
    [​IMG]

5. May 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    straycat241

straycat241 maXXXed out mid travel

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD off road 4x2
    airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii
    omg that's a lot of dead bugs!!

6. May 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    ToyTrainGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Deland, Fl.

Yes, a lot of dead bugs (in just a 3-hour drive), which is why I was desperately looking for info on bug screens.

After this onslaught of bugs, I popped off the Fia grille screen to clean it & stuck a garden hose up from the bottom of the bumper to flush out the customers in the bumper-slot. By the way, to clean the bugs off the rest of the truck quickly, a used dryer-sheet with a little soap works wonders. The dryer-sheet is not abrasive, but has just enough grit to get the guts off fast. Some bug guts can actually etch into your paint if not washed off quickly.

7. May 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Not to mention their guts eat into the clear coat.

8. May 17, 2011 at 3:17 AM
    ToyTrainGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Deland, Fl.
    Here's a close-up of grille & bumper-slot. Imagine what my "2K miles virgin" radiator / condensor would have looked like without the screens.

This summer we are taking our new Taco on a road-trip, driving "no interstates" from Orlando area to Dallas Texas. Hopefully, the bugs won't be as bad as this. Love-bug season is in May & September in Florida, do other states have this problem?

[​IMG]

9. Jun 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    vierzwanzig

vierzwanzig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SW 4x4AC/MT 2.7l
    the list is growing
    nope... FL just caught the love bug from sleeping with cuba. You stay away from Georgia... shes my daughter and shes a good girl.... Alabama you can have.

10. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:01 PM
    Hey

Hey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Old thread but it's the same now in the area I'm in. Is there a seller that makes these ready to snap on our trucks?

11. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
  12. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:11 PM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
  13. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:12 PM
    Hey

Hey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow! This is exactly what I need. Link?

14. Oct 13, 2020 at 12:23 AM
    muddog321

muddog321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DCSB 4wd TRD w/e-locker Pyrite Mica
    TW 1-piece driveshaft with 1310 u-joints All Pro and Budbuilt skid plates OME Dakar rear springs 3" with 5100 5100 front set at 1.75" (3rd groove up) with stock springs Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16 2018 TRD Offroad wheels 16x7J with +25mm offset Powerstop rotors with Z36 pads and rebuilt with OEM caliper kit Complete rebuilt rear brakes drums, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders Rebuilt rear and all wheel bearings front /rear Yukon 3.73 ring/pinion rebuild Denso 130A rebuilt alternator AGM 24F Battery New OEM idlers and tensioner assembly New AC compressor New PS hose and flushed Walker SS Quiet Flow muffler Denso Iridium long life plugs #3421 (SK20HR11) OEM coolant, cap, and thermostat NAPA CV axles and new seals ECGS bushing Rhino front guard Shortened mud flaps Alziria Black Tail Lights Nilight Headlights X-Bull Traction Boards Maaco full single stage paint job 2023 Nat CV to Knuckle seals 710573 New SKF wheel bearings/hubs BR930978 in 2024
    Google it! Covercraft and AutoAnything sell for $231.

I made my own using dog screen (heavy stuff) at Home Depo and some push pins.

IMG_4441.jpg

deanosaurus likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top