Notices

Bug screen for bumper slot & horn...

Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
ToyTrainGuy is on a distinguished road
Navy: Boilerman
Name: Clark
ToyTrainGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Bug screen for bumper slot & horn...

We have a lot of bugs in Florida, so in March I requested info about how to cover the bumper slot intake so that bugs would not splatter themselves all over my new radiator & condenser. Again, the other day, I asked again about the same subject, but no one replied either time. I guess no one else cares, but just in case, what I ended up doing was taking a piece of stainless wire mesh & covering it with household screening. I was stunned on how easily the grille pops out to get better access to the bumper slot. I just bent the 1/4" squares SS wire mesh into a L-shape, pushed it up behind the bumper slot from the top with the grille out, & fastened the other leg of the L-shape to the top of the aluminum bumper (behind the facia). I am using a FIA screen for the grille, but now the bugs can't blow through the bumper slot either. I am surprised that no one makes a kit to do this.
Also, while in there, I was surprised to see "covers" snapped over the horns! Anyone know why they were there? The horn is too loud? Weird....
Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You could have just bumped the other thread instead of making a new one.

As long as air is flowing through the radiator there will be dirt and bugs hitting it to. Personally I would rather have maximum air flow to the radiator to keep the engine cooled properly. I wash my radiator down whenever I wash my engine to get rid of any big residue. Post of pics of what you did.

Those covers on the horns are to keep water out. I took mine off to make my horns as loud as possible since there are many stupid drivers on the road.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You could have just bumped the other thread instead of making a new one.

As long as air is flowing through the radiator there will be dirt and bugs hitting it to. Personally I would rather have maximum air flow to the radiator to keep the engine cooled properly. I wash my radiator down whenever I wash my engine to get rid of any big residue. Post of pics of what you did.

Those covers on the horns are to keep water out. I took mine off to make my horns as loud as possible since there are many stupid drivers on the road.
Making the bug-screen was easy, but figuring out how to post a picture is not for some us. Do you need to put the picture on another website like Flickr, before you can add an image here? When I hit the "include an image" link I get post your URL, but I am lost if it does not include the "browse" button. Help!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Bumper Slot bug screen....

Looking down behind the grille on the left side, you can see the top of the aluminum bumper where I used a self-tapping screw (on both sides) to secure the L-shaped S.S. wire mesh, covered with household screen, placed behind the Bumper-Slot. I also secured the mesh to top of the bumper-slot using tabs & S.S. screws. A total of four screws is all that was needed.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
This was only a 3-hour drive in Florida, during Love-Bug season. Fia makes a great screen for the grille, don't they think the bugs will come in the bumper-slot too?? I fashioned the bumper-slot screen (above) a few days before this & my radiator / condensor still look like the day they left the factory.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat241 View Post
omg that's a lot of dead bugs!!

Yes, a lot of dead bugs (in just a 3-hour drive), which is why I was desperately looking for info on bug screens.

After this onslaught of bugs, I popped off the Fia grille screen to clean it & stuck a garden hose up from the bottom of the bumper to flush out the customers in the bumper-slot. By the way, to clean the bugs off the rest of the truck quickly, a used dryer-sheet with a little soap works wonders. The dryer-sheet is not abrasive, but has just enough grit to get the guts off fast. Some bug guts can actually etch into your paint if not washed off quickly.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat241 View Post
omg that's a lot of dead bugs!!
Not to mention their guts eat into the clear coat.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 AM   #9
Here's a close-up of grille & bumper-slot. Imagine what my "2K miles virgin" radiator / condensor would have looked like without the screens.

This summer we are taking our new Taco on a road-trip, driving "no interstates" from Orlando area to Dallas Texas. Hopefully, the bugs won't be as bad as this. Love-bug season is in May & September in Florida, do other states have this problem?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
vierzwanzig is on a distinguished road
vierzwanzig's Tacoma Gallery
nope... FL just caught the love bug from sleeping with cuba. You stay away from Georgia... shes my daughter and shes a good girl.... Alabama you can have.