Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bad mileage what to check?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #22
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJosh View Post
how'd you clean the MAF? just unplug it and spray with some cleaner and snap back into place?

I cleaned mine by soaking the sensor portion in rubbing alcohol (90% I believe) for about 20 minutes. After soaking it I mixed it around to be sure any stuff that had loosened came off.

I let it dry for another 20 before installing.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #23
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Did you put any kind of roof rack or roof basket on? Those things catch a ton of air and can have a huge effect on fuel economy.

My DC 4x4 AT has always gotten about 14-15 mpg mixed.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #24
Baadboy11 is on a distinguished road
Baadboy11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardground View Post
Question I have for you is what mpg were you getting before? I have a 2011 DC OR manual with 12k on it and am getting between 18 and 19 mpg now. At first I was getting on average 16 and my worst (second tank) was 14.5. Just calculated my last tank at 18.7 a couple hours ago and my best ever was 19.3. This is with 87.

BUT.....this is what I had to change to get this type of mpg. First had to drop from 75 mph to 65 on the highway, this is an easy 2mpg change. Second (city driving) shift to 5th at 30 mph and 6th at 35 mph depending on terrain, this is a huge part of it with the manual since a lot of people just run the high rpm's in town. Third slow acceleration on all starts and highway ramps; shift quick and keep the rpm's down. Fourth shut the truck off as soon as you stop and don't start it up until you are going to move; use to let the truck run while parked, just a waste. Fifth, how many times do you turn the engine over per tank. Sixth, cruise control for people who do not know how to maintain a speed (which is most people sad to say) will help you to.
I was getting around 16 driving crazy...I have however seen 18.5 out of this truck during a random three weeks. (which included 3 fill ups at three different stations) same driving habits then it was back down to 14ish... wish I could figure out what the heck happend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
What used to be your mileage?
See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvtalon View Post
Did you put any kind of roof rack or roof basket on? Those things catch a ton of air and can have a huge effect on fuel economy.

My DC 4x4 AT has always gotten about 14-15 mpg mixed.
Nope totally stock on the outside except for tires but they are the same size as stock.

Seems like a crazy spread of mpg on the dc 4x4's. Some people say 20 others are around 14.....
Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #25
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
When my truck was new 5+ years ago, I regularly got 19+mpg. Even saw a few tanks on occasion that ended up being 20.5mpg.

Last fall when I still had stock tires I was regularly getting 14mpg with the exact same type of driving that I have always done. I took it to my stealership for routine service and they said they'd have a look at the mpg issue. I have no idea what they did, but it went up to 17mpg or so after they were done with it. Now it's back down to 15.5mpg since I've switched tires to 265 duratracs. Hoping to see 17mpg this summer when the truck doesn't have as much warming up to do.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #26
capitan el taco is on a distinguished road
capitan el taco's Tacoma Gallery
fact: the double cab 6spd is an awesome truck. does anything a full size can(mostly) and is way easier to get around the city in (size wise) while still housing four people comfortably.

2ndfact: these trucks go through fuel like there is a whole in the tank. escpecially the 6spd with its low gearing.

love it or leave it
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #28
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 4x4 crew cab and i regularly get just under 14 mpg. The best ive gotten so far is 14.7 mpg.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #29
avidoffroad.com
McJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
I cleaned mine by soaking the sensor portion in rubbing alcohol (90% I believe) for about 20 minutes. After soaking it I mixed it around to be sure any stuff that had loosened came off.

I let it dry for another 20 before installing.
I'm gonna try that! Thanks!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #30
I'm not expecting miracles here, I'd just like to get back up to 16+. As of now I get 14.5 mixed highway and city. Also the fact that I got 18+ for a few weeks mixed with the fact other people seem to be able to get 18-20 regularly make me think that something is amiss.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #31
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardground View Post
Question I have for you is what mpg were you getting before? I have a 2011 DC OR manual with 12k on it and am getting between 18 and 19 mpg now. At first I was getting on average 16 and my worst (second tank) was 14.5. Just calculated my last tank at 18.7 a couple hours ago and my best ever was 19.3. This is with 87.

BUT.....this is what I had to change to get this type of mpg. First had to drop from 75 mph to 65 on the highway, this is an easy 2mpg change. Second (city driving) shift to 5th at 30 mph and 6th at 35 mph depending on terrain, this is a huge part of it with the manual since a lot of people just run the high rpm's in town. Third slow acceleration on all starts and highway ramps; shift quick and keep the rpm's down. Fourth shut the truck off as soon as you stop and don't start it up until you are going to move; use to let the truck run while parked, just a waste. Fifth, how many times do you turn the engine over per tank. Sixth, cruise control for people who do not know how to maintain a speed (which is most people sad to say) will help you to.

So you know I fill my tank every other day, so I check this every other day.

If you are doing all of this to a T and your mileage sucks then I have no idea. haha
Good advice here with the short-shifting and low revs.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #32
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I have a DC 4x4 auto and before lift and tires, I've seen as much as 21mpg averaging about 19-20 but now my average is about 17-18.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baadboy11 View Post
07 crew cab 4x4 offroad with the 6 spd trans. I've been getting a whopping 14.5 mpg lately babying it mixed city/highway. Tires are same size as stock, and no major mods. What can I check before I sell this thing for a full size that gets the same mileage

[b]Oh and if anyone else has the same specs (crew cab, 4x4 6spd) what mileage are you getting?[b]

I calculate by filling it up setting odo, then filling it up again and dividing miles by new gallons.

Oh and just recently did 60k service all synthetic and stock spark plugs, didn't fix mileage.
I have a 2011 CC SB 4x4 6spd and the best mileage I have gotten was 16.5. I average 15.
Mine is bone stock, too... aside from a canopy.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #34
Alright MAF cleaned and throttle body cleaned...the throttle body was really dirty. So we will see if that helps in the next couple days.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #35
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baadboy11 View Post
07 crew cab 4x4 offroad with the 6 spd trans. I've been getting a whopping 14.5 mpg lately babying it mixed city/highway. Tires are same size as stock, and no major mods. What can I check before I sell this thing for a full size that gets the same mileage

Oh and if anyone else has the same specs (crew cab, 4x4 6spd) what mileage are you getting?

I calculate by filling it up setting odo, then filling it up again and dividing miles by new gallons.

Oh and just recently did 60k service all synthetic and stock spark plugs, didn't fix mileage.
the 6MT gets at least 2MPG less than the auto tranny
Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
the 6MT gets at least 2MPG less than the auto tranny

why do you suppose that is? Does the auto really keep the rpms that low or something?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #37
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
17mpg hwy when I bought my new '09. About 8 months later I got 22 mpg average on a 30 hour road trip. I havn't checked it again almost 1 year later. I got tired of checking. I figure, if I wanted great mpg, I wouldn't have traded in my 2005 civic for a truck!!

Have fun!!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #38
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
OP - what were you expecting? 15 is perfectly normal and is listed in Consumer reports for 15 mpg. I hope your not listening to the DB's in here who hyper mile and try to make everyone else drive slow or the government rating which is total BS.
Yeah, and also lots of ppl that brag about their MPG do a lot of suburban driving. This is the only type of driving that you will get good MPG. I can get up to 30 MPG driving 40-50MPH. If you do shorter trips, live in a windy area, rev-up higher between gears and considering you have a manual transmission 15 MPG is still normal.

During winter doing shorter trips, I can get 10 MPG average during the trip.

The thing is, if you are getting way lower MPG than you did get in VERY SIMILAR condition (wind, temperature, acceleration, highway speed, idle time...), it may signify a problem.

Just my take on this have a good night.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #39
ocloninger is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Steve
ocloninger's Tacoma Gallery
If your truck is way out of alignment it might hurt your mileage too
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #40
hardground is on a distinguished road

hardground's Tacoma Gallery
I drive about 40k miles per year so if I get my mpg to 18 over getting 15 that saves me $1800 a year. You on the other hand don't seem to drive that much so I would not worry about it. You might only save $500 a year. If you are worried about it do what I told you. If I drove 12k miles per year I would probably only be getting 14 mpg and loving every minute of it. Believe me it sucks doing 65 on the highway and would not recommend it to anyone unless they have to.