Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

V6 Exhaust Sound

Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
JimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura about
JimmyBuckets's Tacoma Gallery
V6 Exhaust Sound

I have a new 4.0l v6 Tacoma and have been thinking about putting a cat back exhaust on, but there is a guy at work that has one with an exhaust and I think it sounds horrible. The sound seems to be the way these v6's sound. I'm sure it has something to do with the stock headers, but I really don't want to get that far into it. The sound reminds me of a big 4 cylinder engine. Is there anything out there that is a nice deep mellow sound that opens up under heavier load? Anyone else agree it seems hard to get a nice note out of our engines with an aftermarket exhaust?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
If you go into the exhaust forum there is a thread of sound clips. So you can decide for yourself.

EDIT: It is the performance and tuining section.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It really all depends on your taste. I think Chokemasters sound gay on all cars but some love them. I have a Banks kit. The video is in my sig.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
i dont have one myself, but a lot of members on here will tell you that Magnaflow or Dynomax has the best sound
Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
davydude is on a distinguished road
Name: davydude
davydude's Tacoma Gallery
40 series Flow master...
Not crazy about the sound on my 09 Taco, but love it on my 06 Tundra...

SHARK tip
Old 04-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
JimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura about
I guess I was hoping to get some understanding of why these sound the way they do. I know on my Subi the headers are what give it the signature Subi sound. So is it the headers or maybe the firing order. Something just can't be changed with a catback. Thanks guys
Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBuckets View Post
I guess I was hoping to get some understanding of why these sound the way they do. I know on my Subi the headers are what give it the signature Subi sound. So is it the headers or maybe the firing order. Something just can't be changed with a catback. Thanks guys
Your Subi sounds like a Subi because it is a boxer engine.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
you have an H-4 engine in your subi. thats why it has a unique sound.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
I run dynomax, has a nice deeper tone than most cat backs I have heard. The best exhaust I have ever heard on a tacoma was the wicked flows cat back. Sound even better with doug thorley long tubes.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Flowmaster 50 series American Thunder cat-back system and it gives a low deep sound and I really like it.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
BAmuffler's have the best sound and performance..
Old 04-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #12
"The only downfall with the header is the loss of the Subaru sound. The lumpy, thumpy sound everyone has come to love becomes a nice smooth buttery sound, for everyone to fall in love with all over again. Because of the unequal nature of the OEM header, the exhaust pulses are paired together causing that lump sound. The PERRIN header changes the note of the exhaust because of it equal length design. The sound pulses from the exhaust are equalized and spread out, causing the smoother, more refined sound coming from the exhaust."

http://www.subimods.com/perrin-heade...th-08-wrx.html

Thanks for the input guys...buying exhaust is tough for me since I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of people modding. Any other input is welcome.