Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

oil filter relocation

Old 04-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
paul's08 is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
paul's08's Tacoma Gallery
oil filter relocation

My son is interested in putting an oil filter relocation kit on his 1998 4runner 3.4 V6.
My first thought was to use one of the combination oil filter base/cooler that came on my 2008 TRD Tacoma, an adapter plate on the motor and have hydraulic hoses made up.
Has anyone used this method or know what the cost is for the Toyota oil filter/cooler base?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Why go to all that bother? I just bought one of the kits that Performance sells... I think it was something like $65 at the time, and then picked up 2 hoses to fit. The adapter goes on the block, and I ran the hoses up along the firewall and put the filter on the top of the passenger side fenderwell. That was on my '96 with the 3.4 liter.

It worked great there. It made oil changes a whole lot more pleasant.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Honestly I think the oil filter is in a pretty good location. I don't have to reach next to a hot exhaust manifold to get at it.

I think you would have to piece together a kit since I have not seen a relocation kit for the 2nd gen Taco.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Honestly I think the oil filter is in a pretty good location. I don't have to reach next to a hot exhaust manifold to get at it.

I think you would have to piece together a kit since I have not seen a relocation kit for the 2nd gen Taco.
It's for the 4Runner, not his truck.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
It's for the 4Runner, not his truck.
I saw 4 runner and then I saw 08 Taco. My brain short circuited at that point and I thought his son got one and he was interested in getting one for his 08. I fail.