Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Overhead console

Old 04-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
webfishn2 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Subs
webfishn2's Tacoma Gallery
Overhead console

Anybody experienced a problem with the overhead console temp and compass "going blank?" Mine is that way now on an 05 Double Cab.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Search
Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
I understand that it's a common problem involving some soldering to fix. See this extensive thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-temp-fix.html. In addition, there's someone on eBay that does the soldering repair if you're uncomfortable with doing it.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Toolex is on a distinguished road
Toolex's Tacoma Gallery
ya theres a chip on the circuit board that comes lose. You need to pull the console off, which is very easy (one screw i think), then look at the board and you should see one of the small chips has come off the board. sodder it back together. There should be a thread with pics if you search.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
sam_i02 is on a distinguished road

Name: Samir
sam_i02's Tacoma Gallery
not hard to do if you (or a friend) have used a soldering iron before
Old 04-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
One Convenient Locations ......In Africa
Sleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSleeper362 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: HMM-263 MALS-29
Name: Corporal
Sleeper362's Tacoma Gallery
Can you retro fit one of these overhead consoles into a truck that doesn't have one fairly easily? Forgive my lazyness. When I search all I get are fix threads not install threads.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper362 View Post
Can you retro fit one of these overhead consoles into a truck that doesn't have one fairly easily? Forgive my lazyness. When I search all I get are fix threads not install threads.
Yes, probably. I was able to do it and in my case, the wiring and temperature sensor were already there, so it was a 5 minute plug-in job. The console is hard to find used and expensive though.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Normco is on a distinguished road
Name: Norm
Normco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, but there's a better way.

I tried this and decided it was not worth it. For a LOT less money and a LOT less hassle, you can get a Gentex mirror. Install was a breeze. Hardest part was getting the wire from the sensor through the firewall grommet.
And...I still have the hidey-hole in the console for the G-door opener.

If you do decide to do it, be sure to check the pins on the plug in the overhead. There are two kinds, 5-pin and 8-pin. You want to make sure your display unit matches. They are NOT plug-and-play compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper362 View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Overhead console-gentex.jpg  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #9

Navy:
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normco View Post
I tried this and decided it was not worth it. For a LOT less money and a LOT less hassle, you can get a Gentex mirror. Install was a breeze. Hardest part was getting the wire from the sensor through the firewall grommet.
Well, it's another way, I don't know whether it's necessarily better.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Normco's Tacoma Gallery
Console display is a good-looking unit...

The console display is a good-looking unit, and my first choice. I went with the Gentex because I couldn't find all the necessary parts for less than an arm and a leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Well, it's another way, I don't know whether it's necessarily better.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #11

Navy:
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The console display is a good-looking unit, and my first choice. I went with the Gentex because I couldn't find all the necessary parts for less than an arm and a leg.
It wasn't a bad choice, Norm. Tell me though, did you have to give anything up, like the backup screen or auto dimming?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
North Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorth Star is one of the sharper tools in the shed

North Star's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to the dealership. They'll help you out.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Normco's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't give up anything.

Didn't give up anything. My truck was a base model Access Cab. No camera, no auto dim. I gained the auto dim, and the temp/compass.

So... if you have the same set-up I had....

Quote:
It wasn't a bad choice, Norm. Tell me though, did you have to give anything up, like the backup screen or auto dimming?
Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #14

Navy:
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So... if you have the same set-up I had....
LOL, I might have gone your route, Norm, but we'll never know. As I said before, yours wasn't a bad choice.

Sorry for the hijack, OP. Hope you found the answers you were looking for.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you do decide to do it, be sure to check the pins on the plug in the overhead. There are two kinds, 5-pin and 8-pin. You want to make sure your display unit matches. They are NOT plug-and-play compatible.
My understanding is that 2009 and up use a different plug than 05-08. So if you're a 2006, don't get a 2009 - 11 console as it won't work.

As for the blank console, yeah it's an easy and quick solder fix. In fact this problem apparently is so prevalent on the 05-06 consoles, there are people on Ebay who sell the service of a resolder .. send it to them & they'll do it for you for like $30. But you can easily do it yourself.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, probably. I was able to do it and in my case, the wiring and temperature sensor were already there, so it was a 5 minute plug-in job. The console is hard to find used and expensive though.
how do you know if the wiring is already there? Any tips on how to do this or where to buy?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #17
webfishn2 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Subs
webfishn2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice and fix!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #18

Navy:
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
how do you know if the wiring is already there? Any tips on how to do this or where to buy?
Jordan,

Here's a link to a thread that will help you and answer your questions. There are also others, but I didn't bookmark them:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ure-gauge.html

If you find that the wiring is there, it's dead simple to do. After viewing the thread, if you find the wiring is there, but not the temperature sensor, give me a shout as I have an extra sensor.

Finding the console is not so easy. You'll need one from a '09, '10 or '11. Older models won't work in your '11. I suggest that you keep an eye on eBay and the buy/sell section here (where I found mine). You could also buy it new and junk yards are always a possiblity. Remember that Toyota calls it an "Accessory Meter".

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Jordan,

Here's a link to a thread that will help you and answer your questions. There are also others, but I didn't bookmark them:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ure-gauge.html

If you find that the wiring is there, it's dead simple to do. After viewing the thread, if you find the wiring is there, but not the temperature sensor, give me a shout as I have an extra sensor.

Finding the console is not so easy. You'll need one from a '09, '10 or '11. Older models won't work in your '11. I suggest that you keep an eye on eBay and the buy/sell section here (where I found mine). You could also buy it new and junk yards are always a possiblity. Remember that Toyota calls it an "Accessory Meter".

Good luck!
Alright, I checked and there are 2 wires going to that place. One is the light, and the other I THOUGHT was for a garage door opener? Maybe I was wrong. I will take a pic soon and see if you can tell. I hope its it. I really want this mod. My favourite part about modding vehicles is getting all the OEM mods. Love it
Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #20

Heres the two plugs. Small one was the light, then the other was just there not plugged into anything. Its NOT the camera one either, because that one is there tucked up also.

Heres the sensor I think I found on the frame in the center behind the grill. Is this it?