Notices

Advice on Purchase

Old 04-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on Purchase

I've got a 2010 RC 4x4. Just added a toolbox last week. I'm trying to decide between the following mods-

New Head Unit- Looking at something single din. Fairly simple. Maybe something like this- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC2...U.html?tp=5684 I'm open to suggestions.

OR Bed Extender- Would obviously go with OEM.

I listen to music every time I'm in the car, and I don't find the stock HU to be awful, but it isn't very good either. I also do some light hauling (mostly stuff I don't HAVE to do, just makes things more convenient at work) about once a week or so and figure maybe once a month I'll be hauling something long enough that I wish I had the extender.

Opinions?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I'd go with the new head unit. It was the first thing I did to my Tacoma. True, the stock stereo isn't that bad, but an aftermarket is definitely nice.

Do you have an iPod or iPhone? Any need or want to use hands free calling via Bluetooth?

I have this head unit and love it. Hands free calling, Bluetooth audio streaming, (3) 5v preouts; front/rear/sub, iPod connectivity, auxillary input and the ability to pretty much change the face to any color combination you want.
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105KDA8...and|JVC+Mobile
Old 04-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the Kenwood KDC-MP345U from Crutchfield a year ago.
Absolutely love it. By far the cheapest mod I did & kick myself for waiting so long.....
For an inexpensive HU, it sounds so much better over stock & with stock speakers. It has the usb, aux input & Ipod controls built in.
I was able to install it myself thanks to the kit & thread help here too.
Google online Crutchfield coupon & save another $20 off the list price whatever you buy.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot for the advice! Went with a new HU. I'll probably even get fogs before I end up with the extender. I don't need it for personal use, and buying something to use for favors and for work (when it's equipment that should be provided) shouldn't come before buying something for me.

I got the Kenwood KDC-BT848U. It has a lot of the features I like (great for Bluetooth and use with the iPod, and the display can change colors). I got the HU plus the harness, and the dash kit for about $270. Bought it here locally and had install for free. Could have saved maybe 50 bucks via Crutchfield, but then would have had to install myself. Basically, paid 50 bones to get it today and have someone install it. Worth it to me.

Went with the silver dash kit as I've seen on other Tacos. I think it looks better than the black.