1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on Purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jking3002, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    jking3002

jking3002 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    I've got a 2010 RC 4x4. Just added a toolbox last week. I'm trying to decide between the following mods-

New Head Unit- Looking at something single din. Fairly simple. Maybe something like this- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC248U/Kenwood-KDC-248U.html?tp=5684 I'm open to suggestions.

OR Bed Extender- Would obviously go with OEM.

I listen to music every time I'm in the car, and I don't find the stock HU to be awful, but it isn't very good either. I also do some light hauling (mostly stuff I don't HAVE to do, just makes things more convenient at work) about once a week or so and figure maybe once a month I'll be hauling something long enough that I wish I had the extender.

Opinions?

2. Apr 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Personally, I'd go with the new head unit. It was the first thing I did to my Tacoma. True, the stock stereo isn't that bad, but an aftermarket is definitely nice.

Do you have an iPod or iPhone? Any need or want to use hands free calling via Bluetooth?

I have this head unit and love it. Hands free calling, Bluetooth audio streaming, (3) 5v preouts; front/rear/sub, iPod connectivity, auxillary input and the ability to pretty much change the face to any color combination you want.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105KDA815/JVC-Arsenal-KD-A815.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|JVC+Mobile

3. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I bought the Kenwood KDC-MP345U from Crutchfield a year ago.
    Absolutely love it. By far the cheapest mod I did & kick myself for waiting so long.....
    For an inexpensive HU, it sounds so much better over stock & with stock speakers. It has the usb, aux input & Ipod controls built in.
    I was able to install it myself thanks to the kit & thread help here too.
    Google online Crutchfield coupon & save another $20 off the list price whatever you buy. :thumbsup:

4. Apr 30, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    jking3002

jking3002 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    Thanks a lot for the advice! Went with a new HU. I'll probably even get fogs before I end up with the extender. I don't need it for personal use, and buying something to use for favors and for work (when it's equipment that should be provided) shouldn't come before buying something for me.

I got the Kenwood KDC-BT848U. It has a lot of the features I like (great for Bluetooth and use with the iPod, and the display can change colors). I got the HU plus the harness, and the dash kit for about $270. Bought it here locally and had install for free. Could have saved maybe 50 bucks via Crutchfield, but then would have had to install myself. Basically, paid 50 bones to get it today and have someone install it. Worth it to me.

Went with the silver dash kit as I've seen on other Tacos. I think it looks better than the black.
    [​IMG]

5. May 1, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    IMO you'll get more use out of a new HU.

Products Discussed in

To Top