1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck Bed....Bed...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tanzak88, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alright, so for now I'm kind of scrapping the Roof Top Tent idea, and going with something a little more... affordable.

I went out to the truck, took some measurements, (eyeballed a few) and put together a mental plan of how I want to build it. I drew up a fairly quick (without drawing to scale) plan for a sleeping platform.

At first I was thinking of cross-bed supports and a tri-fold plywood platform that would be hinged in thirds, and laid across the supports length wise, creating a supported sleeping platform. I quickly realized that if I were to do it that way and still want to stow the "bed" in the truck, then my sleeping platform would only be 5' long. Too short for me.

The plan that I came up with, once put on paper, seems pretty slick. In theory, it should work out well and only use one 10' 1x8 and one sheet of plywood... but knowing me, I've probably slipped up somewhere and it will be a disaster.

On with the plans and my idea.

Keeping the bed above the wheel wells, we're dealing with a 57" wide sleeping platform (sweet!). Using one sheet of plywood, I'll be able to make a 6' long sleeping platform (you could make it to the end of the tailgate if you wanted, but I don't need it that long and extra plywood will come into play later).

Materials I've decided on using for this will be:
    (1) 10' 1x8
    (1) 4x8' 5/8" plywood (I don't see a need to go with 3/4, even with my girlfriend and I in the back... heh..heh...)
    (5) hinges
    Screws
    Indoor/outdoor carpet.
    Staple gun/staples

Plan:
    (2) 57" 1x8 cross supports (in the cutout bed pockets)
    (2) 57x24" plywood leafs to make up the "in-bed" platform
    (1) 48x24" plywood leaf to make up the foot/tailgate end of the platform
    Remaining plywood to be used as hinged supports for the tailgate platform, and the middle of the 1x8's.

The plan below isn't drawn to scale, unfortunately. Piece "C" will overlap the 1x8 by about 3". There will be a support under the middle of the 1x8, and drop pins through the plywood into the 1x8 to prevent the leaf from sliding off the tailgate.

(I may not need to use the front most 1x8... seems pointless to me actually, and would also only require an 8' 1x8 instead of 10')

The plan says 3/4" plywood, but I've decided to save even more moola... if possible.

TruckBedPlan_348570aeee366c387120e059291f11c56c890475.jpg

There will be an air mattress on top, to save on space. A double mattress from Canadian Tire will be 54"x74", so it will have to squeeze a half inch on either side, to get by the tailgate opening (minor).
    Whatchu guys think? :cool:

2. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    tanzak88

Member:
    I'll start building it on Sunday, if I can get the materials for it.

3. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Should work! I ALSO sleep in the bed. Just got a piece of 4 inch foam, cut to the shape inside the wheel wells. I also have an OEM rubber matt to smooth the bed out and provide further insulation.

I then use a truck tent for shelter. Vastly cheaper than a RTT, and feels huge inside. It has been in torrential downpour, not a DROP inside, very very comfy.

[​IMG]

Good luck!

4. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    tanzak88

Member:
    Nice! Looks like a Truck Tentz II?

I have a canopy, so I'll be using that- I just loaded it up with weatherstripping. Tailgate, canopy window etc... should keep the dust out and be good to go :)

5. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    good luck! subbed

6. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Says Sportz III on the bag.

Really didn't like the canopy idea. No headroom, felt very cramped. Really dislike the look as well (makes my truck look too SUVish).

It should keep ya dry though!

7. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
  8. Apr 29, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    tanzak88

Member:
    Yours looks good, Nick.

So I found a sheet of 1/2" (I live on a ranch)... not sure if it will be thick enough, but I went on with it anyway.
    Pics of just the sheets laying in there on the edges of the box. No supports yet. Think I'm going to put it off until Sunday when I have some 5/8's.... I was bored but its the basic idea. Realized that I should probably just build it on the lip, and throw the 1x8's out the window, since I'll gain .75" of clearance underneath.

Once I get the 5/8's I think I'll do the front two pieces with it, and use one of the 1/2" ones for the tailgate piece, and just cut it down to be a bit wider to tuck against the box sides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Apr 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    You're on your way! Just don't sit up :D

10. May 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    RedTaco2134

RedTaco2134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle:
    08 Long Bed TRD Sport
    295/70/17 Cooper STT Pro, Revtek 3" lift. TSB rear and Blistein 5100's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097063
    I vote foam, instead of air mattress. I use a 4in. piece of foam to lay on when we go camping and we camp on river banks where the bank is mainly rocks, form fitting FTW!

11. May 2, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    Well if thats all you need, yes. But the point of the platform is to get you above the wheel wells AND hold most of your gear below it.

12. May 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    I picked up my 4 inch foam. Can't feel the bed at all. Have an OEM rubber mat as well.

No storage underneath but sure is comfy!

[​IMG]

13. May 15, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    rancher 420

rancher 420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    north east ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 plain jane 4x4
    aftermarket fogs with HID LEER 100R cap pioneer head unit tinted windows silverstar reverse lights tow hitch cobra 75 c.b. vent visors new recovery hook in the front camping set up in the back ( rug, air mattress, fan, and heat)
    where did you get that foam mattress at, and how much?

14. May 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    x2

15. May 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    x3

16. May 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    bozotaco

bozotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
    I did the same thing in my Toy last fall. I built mine with ski trips in mind, so the space under the bed is intended only for skis. I finally took it out last week to try the topper free look out, as well as move my motorcycle. The bed was great, supper comfy for sleeping, and practical. Yours looks a bit more thought out than mine, good luck.

74303_591961971739_43808691_34329564_2340397_n.jpg

17. May 15, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    Oh sorry guys didn't see all the posts asking about the foam mattress.

In town there is a foam guy, Sun Valley Foam. Got it for around $120 for the full sheet then he custom cut it to my bed size for free. I purposely had him cut it a touch big (half inch or so) so I squish it in and it stays tight to the sides. You cannot feel the bed at all (0%) so should be great. Yet to sleep on it but I'll let you guys know.

For more money he said he could get any grade of foam you want basically. Mine is the lowest (and feels -really- nice) foam, which is a 'camping' grade. Basically if you sleep on it for months at a time it will slowly lose loft and you will have to give it a break and let it puff up for a bit. He has mid and high grade foams though where this is not a concern. For me, I only use it for 2-7 days at a time, then it comes out for at least a week.

Here is the place:

Sun Valley Foam

Products Discussed in

To Top