1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No luck at the dealer last night

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toojayz, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Apr 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM
    toojayz

toojayz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4 DC MGM SB
    Well it didn't happen last night, I went to make a deal on what they said they had but they made a mistake on bed size. The truck had everything I wanted option wise and the exact color I want but it's a long bed instead of a short bed. Now I come to find out that a TRD sport 4x4 dc sb with the JBL isn't really available as there are NONE in at least a 2-300 mile radius and I'm not sure If I should just should bite the bullet and buy the long bed (which I don't want) with the JBL or, I can get any color without the jbl. We (the sales manager and I) searched literally for almost 2 hours last night and the sb/sport with jbl in the double cab are just no where to be found. I'm sure this has to do somewhat with the disaster in Japan with the tsunami and production may be slowed. Is it really worth the extra effort for the jbl system or should I just forget the jbl all together and save about $800 bucks? Sorry about my rant but it just sucks when you wait all this time to be ready to buy and you cant get what you want. :(

2. Apr 30, 2011 at 2:56 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I can't comment on the JBL system because I don't have one.
    But really I wouldn't settle. This is a huge purchase. If your heart is set on the SB I would wait or keep hassling the dealer. I'm sure they'll get one in eventually.

Nothing worst then settling. My last truck was a 2wd Ford f-150. It was a great truck but I settled because of the price. I always wanted 4x4 but never got it and always had that regret.

3. Apr 30, 2011 at 3:05 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    The jbl isnt really worth it. Save the 800 and buy an aftermarket system. If you're set on the SB don't waiver unless they give you a good enough deal to warrant taking what you don't want. The color is the one to REALLY not waiver on. Don't take a color you don't want just because it has a sound system that isn't all the great in the first place.

4. Apr 30, 2011 at 3:45 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Just say no (to JBL). You can do better in the aftermarket.

5. Apr 30, 2011 at 4:53 AM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    im happy with my long bed double cab, get what u want though

6. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    toojayz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    It's not that I don't want a long bed because I don't like it, I just don't need the long bed and my driveway isn't that big. Also, I think it may be a little more nimble while I trailer/ launch my boat. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all the replies guy's!

7. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:15 AM
    Ralph Pootawn

Ralph Pootawn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, Va
    Vehicle:
    '11 Timberland Mica TRD Off-Road
    N/A
    I didn't know they offered the Sport in short bed

8. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:34 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Get the truck without JBL, take the $800 and get a nice system installed.

I have a 2010 TRD Sport DCLB, with some kind of multi disc system. It is not very good. I had it back for warranty since it crackles and pops randomly.

Get the truck you want in the color you prefer, a sound system is an easy fix and will further personalize your vehicle for you.

Pretty much repeating what others mentioned.

PK

9. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    Largefarva

Largefarva Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    '08 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4x4
    This.

Your two options that are make or break for you are standard stereo system vs. bed length that you want. It's cheap to replace the stereo system....but next to impossible to replace the bed. I have the JBL system in my truck, and yeah I like how it sounds, but from what I understand by reading these forums is that the regular stereo system sounds pretty much as good as the JBL. Find the perfect truck for you without the JBL, replace the stereo if you don't like it, and I guarantee you that you will be happier in the long run. Good luck with your purchase. :)

10. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Tell the dealer to open up the mileage search to 1,000 miles and look again.

If they want to sell you a truck they will do it.

My son sells Dodge, and he recently went to Detroit to pick up a car for a customer. That was 750 miles each way.

Sounds to me like they are being lazy.

11. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:56 AM
    NoMallCrawlTaco

NoMallCrawlTaco © "HELL FUCK YEAH!" © COPYRIGHT FOR MY PROTECTION!

Member:
    Arizona
    4" Camburgs Icon AAL 3 Pac BLHM Tacoshi Grill More to come...
    Get what you want!
    Don't settle, believe me I have done it and then regretted it afterwards.

Waiting is going to take forever, and if they really want to sell you a truck they can find one and ship it in...

Make those ass hats earn their money, believe me, they make alot on your deal.
    So get the truck you want.

12. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    NoMallCrawlTaco

NoMallCrawlTaco © "HELL FUCK YEAH!" © COPYRIGHT FOR MY PROTECTION!

Member:
    Arizona
    4" Camburgs Icon AAL 3 Pac BLHM Tacoshi Grill More to come...
    High 5

They are being lazy...

13. Apr 30, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    I really don't think the JBL is a big deal. I have the factory 6 disc HU in mine and it's a pretty good set up for being stock, you can always upgrade with aftermarket system that is way better than jbl. I have a short bed on mine truck, and sometimes i do regret not having the longer bed, for like going to home depot for 2x4's but i do have a 5x9 trailer that i use maybe once or twice a year for stuff like that. just a little work to hook everything up.

14. Apr 30, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    Forewheel

Forewheel Active Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC SB TRD Offroad
    Bone Stock.....for now.
    Don't settle man, just be patient and make your dealer work for you. When I bought my truck the dealer had exactly what I wanted but in white....they were forcing it on me but I really wanted black, which they didn't have. I slept on it and stuck with my guns. It took a few extra days but they ended up finding exactly the truck I wanted about 400 miles away. Also, I have to disagree on the JBL system. I have it in mine and absolutely love it, especially the bluetooth part...being in outside sales I use it all the time. I'm also at a stage in my life where i'm not really into all the aftermarket car audio stuff anymore, if stock is good then I can live with it.

15. Apr 30, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    X2

16. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    booboy

booboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    PaCiFiC nOrThWeSt
    Vehicle:
    2010 TrD SpOrT 4x4
    I have a 2010 Sport Double Cab Short bed with the JBL set-up. Is the JBL set-up worth the extra $800... not really. Will it cost you more to upgrade a non JBL system... maybe. Depends on your taste. My previous truck I upgraded my sound system that ran me almost $2K but that was upgrading "everything" from speakers, H.U., subs and amps. To each is own. I really don't think you should settle brotha. I settled with my previous truck and was unhappy. The only thing that made me happy was my sound system oh... and that it was a v8. Good luck.

17. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    It will be a lot easier to remedy not getting the stereo you want than to remedy not getting the color or bed size you want. I would think an $800 aftermarket would sound better than the JBL anyway.

18. Apr 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    lwszabo

lwszabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR double cab
    toyota dark satin alloy wheel Tint OEM bed mat
    I would say color,bed length,cab configuration (along with engine and trans 2 or4 wheel drive) are the main options to concern yourself with. You can chage just about everything else! But also DO NOT settle,it almost always costs you in the end when you "trade up" the JBL to me means nothing its a factory upgrade over standard,but dont come anywhere close to what u could do with $800 to upgrade speakers and a small amp!!!!! If the truck would work use it against the dealership to give you a better deal,they may try to "push" this truck on you for the best deal.....Dont be in a hurry or let what happened in Japan rush you....

19. Apr 30, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    get your long bed and get aftermarket speakers..the speakers arent at all expensive and there is many things out there than the JBL system

20. Apr 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    toojayz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    Agreed 100%. I think I've decided to go without the jbl. I know I may be better than the standard setup but what if I go through all this and then decide I don't like the JBL either? I'm leaning towards not getting the jbl

Products Discussed in

To Top