LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wife hit by drunk driver last night....

Old 04-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #21
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with chris. I believe people who bring frivolous lawsuits are total douchebags but that is a serious accident with potential long term medical problems.

That shit ain't covered in the US of A, lawsuit is your only recourse. Keep it in mind.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #22
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
LAWYER UP!

Fuck the kid. Im not a sue happy guy, but you need to take this dude to the fucking cleaners! Im glad your Wife is OK for now....But you REALLY need to consider getting a lawyer.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x100000000^1000000000
Old 04-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #23
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Hope your wife feels better soon and you get your vehicle taken care of.

You have to look out for your financial future and your wife's health. Might not be a bad idea to consult with a lawyer....
Old 04-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #24
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
With all due respect. I would get a Lawyer and stop talking but it's probably too late for that. Good luck, anyway. Glad to hear your wife is alive.

Steve
Old 04-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #25
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
LAWYER UP!

Fuck the kid. Im not a sue happy guy, but you need to take this dude to the fucking cleaners! Im glad your Wife is OK for now....But you REALLY need to consider getting a lawyer.

Exactly do what ^^^^ he said.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #26
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Glad your wife is doing okay, hopefully you can get this all settled.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #27
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Good thing shes okay!! You shouldn't have much trouble getting what you need covered

x2
Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
YEah OK...I filled out a form I will have a slew of lawyers calling me Monday morning. I There are such things as "punitive damaged" that go beyond treble damages when DUI, texting or ant other distraction to driving was apparent herein South Carolina. Given that DUI issues are treated seperatly from normal fender benders I likely should hand it all over to an attorney. I think the Ambulance ride and ER will will amount to over $2000 in expenses. Not counting any appointments she will have with doctors. I hope there are no more medical expenses. I would rather her healthy then needing any medical procedures.

The Rav will probably be fixed. Fair market value is $15,600 according to NADA. SC Law requires FMV to be paid out and if the vehicle repair doesn't meet or exceed that amount they will likely fix it
Old 04-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #29
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
No one wants to get this call at 1AM.. Apparently she was just driving along through an intersection and a drunk kid makes a left hand turn in front of her. Didn't even know what happened. He was arrested for DUI. She is feeling like she played in an NFL game and XRays showed some aggravated damage to a disc. Getting slapped by a airbag as not fun. We left the Hospital at 4AM and went to see he beloved 06 RAV....

Looks like it can be fixed.. but being an 06 who knows. only 54k Miles......

So now the process begins with their insurance company.........Geico. Just looking to be made whole. not win the lottery. Crumple zones work well...
Dude, sorry to hear that. I saw a few accidents in the area on Scanner Radio (follow it on my phone) and I bet one was hers. Where did the accident occur?

As you probably know, Horry County was at one point (still?) the highest county in the nation for drunk driving fatalities so she's damn lucky and I'm glad for you and her that it wasn't worse. It could've been MUCH worse.

Best of luck in the recovery process.

BTW, I agree with everyone else, GET A LAWYER. Harry Pavilack would love that case, lol
Old 04-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #30
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Dude, sorry to hear that. I saw a few accidents in the area on Scanner Radio (follow it on my phone) and I bet one was hers. Where did the accident occur?

As you probably know, Horry County was at one point (still?) the highest county in the nation for drunk driving fatalities so she's damn lucky and I'm glad for you and her that it wasn't worse. It could've been MUCH worse.

Best of luck in the recovery process.
Thanks man..OH I know....Could have been a knock at the door....We were spared........It was on the corner of Robert Grissom Parkway and 21st Ave near Broadway at the Beach.

I was going to go it alone but I have since found out South Carolina has "punitive damages" for DUI offenders. to teach them and their insurers a lesson. I don't know anything about how to go about seeking those becasue THOSE are definitely something I support. Even if those damages were awarded to the state to help victims who lost family members for educating their kids and not in cases like this. I would get a lawyer to see these damages paid especially since the offender did not even care to see if my wife was ok and apparently not cooperating with police.

looking at that pic again makes me think these vehicles today are made of aluminum foil or crumpled paper.

BTW LOVE Scanner Radio on Android. I listen to Chicago Police more action

Some of these lawyers won't take a light injury case. I refuse to use a alwyer like Axlerod who advertises everywhere for hit and run $5000 settlements. Nor will I select a lawyer who defends DUI suspects....
Old 04-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #31
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
Be cautious about insurance companies, even your own. They are there to make money, not spend it on you.
Make sure you get compensation for a new vehicle (most likely) and get something in writing about medical checkups and coverage for follow-up visits.

Seriously, it may not be a bad idea to hire a lawyer. They're cheap since they work on commission paid for by the other party (or his parents). Normally I wouldn't advise this but since it involved possible damage to her spine you need to protect yourself.
X1
Old 04-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #32
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I agree with you totally. Make him pay. DD has got to stop.

Broadway, can't say I'm shocked. That area is like the Philly/NJ bridges eastbound on a Friday or Saturday night: many many drunks.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #33
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Glad she's ok! If a drunk driver ever hit me I'm not sure i could control myself. I'd spend the night in jail for sure Maybe more then one night...
Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #34
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Rav will probably be fixed. Fair market value is $15,600 according to NADA. SC Law requires FMV to be paid out and if the vehicle repair doesn't meet or exceed that amount they will likely fix it
I've heard from unreliable sources that the typical threshold is half the FMV. If the crumple zones collapsed, then repairing the chassis will require quite a bit of pulling.

Quote:
looking at that pic again makes me think these vehicles today are made of aluminum foil or crumpled paper.
Either the front end crumple or the passenger crumples. Laws of physics unfortunately. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g
Old 04-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #35
Kylie's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleblond View Post
Glad she's ok! If a drunk driver ever hit me I'm not sure i could control myself. I'd spend the night in jail for sure Maybe more then one night...
X2
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I've heard from unreliable sources that the typical threshold is half the FMV. If the crumple zones collapsed, then repairing the chassis will require quite a bit of pulling.

Either the front end crumple or the passenger crumples. Laws of physics unfortunately. See:

BTW found this 2010 RAv seems a lot less damage and they are calling it a total...http://toddskee.com/wordpress/?p=246

I don;t understand why an insurance company would rather pay out $15,000 rather than $8,000 to fix a car. In South Carolina they only have to pay FMV is the repairs meet or exceed the FMV value (then there is that Vehiclefax thing that further devalues the car another 10%....when a wreck shows up . That has to be considered as well in a loss scenario. Especailly since we can prove we have been car shopping in the past few weeks....via Email quotes.

Seen that vid, VERY telling.....

I am guessing its a total considering what I have been reading......

Quote:
RAV has a crumple zone build-in in the front and rear. I have a 2004 RAV4 base Auto got totaled in a 25 to 30 mile per hour front collision. The design is aimed to allow the front end to take the most damage while preventing the impact to intrude to the cabin. The airbag did not even deploy in this case. The driver is O.K.. However the two main frame posts (where the bumper attached to) in front were bent. The dealer shop estimated at $14000 for repair (while book value is at $17000 excluding TTL). That is the major reason my insurance offered me a total compensation.
Based on that I guess we will be stuck looking for another SUV for her sooner than I wanted and in more of a rush.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleblond View Post
Yeah Im pissed he did not have the courtesy to help her..a complete stranger had to get the door open but would not allow her out since she was in shock and pain. Those airbags pack a wallop and the seatbelt injury can create hematomas. The more I think about it the more pissed I get....

Here they have a DRAM law where they can go after the bars who serve these drunks. Thankfully she is not injured enough to go to that length but I am glad to hear IF she were injured and remained hospitalized they could go after anyone who provided the drinks. She has been in bed all day on painkillers and xanax. This is a woman who NEVER stops moving. she can't sit for a minute. Always doing something. Its painful to see her like this even though I am greatful she was not seriously hurt.

The adjuster will be calling me....I think I will refrain from all talk that is not Property damage related and tell her I am seeking legal help with this. Usually insurance companys have 2 adjusters, one for property and the other for injury and they are settled separately.

Thanks for your advice guys....I am not one to sue at the drop of a hat and i won't this time. I will let the expert do what they do becasue its a DUI case.. They may settle this. I don't see how they have a leg to stand on with their guy in jail.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #38
ChRis. is on a distinguished road
ChRis.'s Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear your wife is ok. I would opt to have the car totaled if the choice is given. The car will never be the same after extensive damage like that.

Make sure you keep it an open medical claim with whichever insurance you are dealing with. Don't settle and close out the claim because your wife's injuries can cause possible future medical issues.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #39
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah Im pissed he did not have the courtesy to help her..a complete stranger had to get the door open but would not allow her out since she was in shock and pain. Those airbags pack a wallop and the seatbelt injury can create hematomas. The more I think about it the more pissed I get....

Here they have a DRAM law where they can go after the bars who serve these drunks. Thankfully she is not injured enough to go to that length but I am glad to hear IF she were injured and remained hospitalized they could go after anyone who provided the drinks. She has been in bed all day on painkillers and xanax. This is a woman who NEVER stops moving. she can't sit for a minute. Always doing something. Its painful to see her like this even though I am greatful she was not seriously hurt.

The adjuster will be calling me....I think I will refrain from all talk that is not Property damage related and tell her I am seeking legal help with this. Usually insurance companys have 2 adjusters, one for property and the other for injury and they are settled separately.

Thanks for your advice guys....I am not one to sue at the drop of a hat and i won't this time. I will let the expert do what they do becasue its a DUI case.. They may settle this. I don't see how they have a leg to stand on with their guy in jail.

My wife and I have been part time bar tenders for five years now. We have no control over someone who decides to drive after drinking or not. Just two weeks ago we had a young man get shitty and told us he was leaving. He even asked us to call him a cab. We did. Thirty minutes later we learned he drove home hitting three parked cars and a nice night in the drunk tank.