View Poll Results: which is tougher I4 or V6
I4 77 42.54%
V6 104 57.46%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
roycameron is on a distinguished road
roycameron's Tacoma Gallery
I4 vs V6 which is tougher/more dependable

Just bought I4 4X4 access cab 5 speed SR5 and love it. Used to have V8 F150 4X4. All my buddies asked me why I did not get the V6. I simply think the I4 is tougher and will last longer, who agrees?
Old 04-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycameron View Post
Just bought I4 4X4 access cab 5 speed SR5 and love it. Used to have V8 F150 4X4. All my buddies asked me why I did not get the V6. I simply think the I4 is tougher and will last longer, who agrees?
The I4 is often argued as the more likely engine to last longer due to cylinder positioning, though I am no expert in this field. I think, by and large, you will get skewed results with I4 folks voting for I4 and V6 for V6...
Old 04-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Prez of @battleborntacomas and ASSHOLE!
MOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
MOT's Tacoma Gallery
V6 Super Charged All Day!
Old 04-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
I bleed Black and Gold
cheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant future

Name: Adam
cheehab's Tacoma Gallery
I can only speak for my v6, but I have never had any problems with it in 112,000 miles. Regular oil changes and spark plugs are the only maintenance I have performed for the motor.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOT View Post
V6 Super Charged All Day!
hahahaha now thats funny! Im pretty sure that was meant to be sarcastic cause everyone knows a force inducted motor isnt lasting forever. And i think the original question is pointless. Of coarse tha 4cyl is tougher!!!! Been proven since toyota made toyotas!! But fuck it . . . . . boosted 4 banger for the win!
Old 04-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you look at toyota trucks history with v6's and i4 motors, the i4 would probably be the logical choice in this specific situation. My old 89 4runner had the 22re motor and had 316k on it when I sold it, never had any problems. My dad also has a 89 4runner but has the v6, he's replaced both head's and gaskets 2 times in the 5 years he has owned the truck. From what I understand this is a common problem with the 3.0 v6 motor.

But we all know that technology gets better over time and it's likely that either motor will be tough and dependable. I mean, they are built by Toyota so either way you'll get your moneys worth out of your truck.

I love my 4.0 v6!!!! I don't miss my weak 22re i4 at all!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
hahahaha now thats funny! Im pretty sure that was meant to be sarcastic cause everyone knows a force inducted motor isnt lasting forever. And i think the original question is pointless. Of coarse tha 4cyl is tougher!!!! Been proven since toyota made toyotas!! But fuck it . . . . . boosted 4 banger for the win!
Ill tie my v6 to your i4 and pull it to Oz-t's house in Canada where he will then say "You need new tires."
Old 04-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco07 View Post
Ill tie my v6 to your i4 and pull it to Oz-t's house in Canada where he will then say "You need new tires."
S'truth yo
Old 04-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco07 View Post
I'll take the pics
Old 04-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
I'll take the pics
Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Both are tough and dependable.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
It's hard to say which engine is more tough or dependable. Both i4 and V6 in the 1st gen Tacomas have proven to be very good engines. The problems with 3.0 V6 ended with that engine and truck generation. The 3.4 following the 3.0 has a very good reputation as does the 2.7 and 2.4 of the same generation. So far the 4.0 and the new 2.7 both seem to be very tough/ dependable motors so far and no matter which engine you get it is still a Toyota either way and will be very tough and dependable.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both the 4.0l v6 and the 2.7l i4 , they are both very good engines bound to last well beyond 200,000mi . There is no clear winner here. Routine maintenance by the book will yield typical Toyota engine longevity!!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
Super Mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
I've had both the 4.0l v6 and the 1.7l i4 , they are both very good engines bound to last well beyond 200,000mi . There is no clear winner here. Routine maintenance by the book will yield typical Toyota engine longevity!!
2.7l*
Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

bizjettech's Tacoma Gallery
Remember the old saying.......there is no substitute for cubic inches
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #16
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizjettech View Post
Remember the old saying.......there is no substitute for cubic inches
proves 0 on dependability, only power. That would mean v-8 dodges outlast toyota motors
Old 04-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #17
bstaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
bstaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have had good luck with the I4 (140,000) and hoping to have good luck with the 4.0 V6.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #18
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
Whats wrong with forced induction??? Where are you getting your facts??? Anyways If anything I4 is a simpler setup I think both are built well though
Old 04-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
Whats wrong with forced induction??? Where are you getting your facts??? Anyways If anything I4 is a simpler setup I think both are built well though
I've seen many high mileage Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda four cylinders. Think like 300-500K miles. I've seen a few Toyota 3.4s with 200-300K. Time will tell on the 4.0s, but it looks like we have a few guys here with 200K plus. I think the 4.0 will eventually be known as a good, respectable choice once more owners run their miles up. But I will always see the 4 cyls as being tougher. Especially since Toyota went all aluminum on the 4.0 It's fine as long as you don't get it hot, that is my biggest worry with mine.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #20
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
I've seen many high mileage Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda four cylinders. Think like 300-500K miles. I've seen a few Toyota 3.4s with 200-300K. Time will tell on the 4.0s, but it looks like we have a few guys here with 200K plus. I think the 4.0 will eventually be known as a good, respectable choice once more owners run their miles up. But I will always see the 4 cyls as being tougher. Especially since Toyota went all aluminum on the 4.0 It's fine as long as you don't get it hot, that is my biggest worry with mine.
I know a few members on here with 200k+ mi with no problems on the 4.0, just normal wear and tear and maintenance...yup only time will tell