Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

BakFlip G2 or Undercover Tonneau Cover?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #21
00 Toy is on a distinguished road
00 Toy's Tacoma Gallery
I have the G2 and it is working OK for me. I like the way it looks and the protection is good.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #22
frankmusic is on a distinguished road
Name: Frank
frankmusic's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up It works PERFECTLY!

I also purchased the G2. It's extremely easy to install and appears to be quite well made. I would definitely recommend it.

The only problem that I had experienced was basically my fault from the get-go. I had placed some taller items in the back of the bed. I left the two rear panels in the 'open' position without using some bungees to secure it. WRONG!!!

After traveling about 45 mph+ the rear lifted panels began to do a flapping dance in the wind. What a racket it made. YIKES! It certainly got my attention. So, I quickly pulled over and secured it down properly.

Other than that faux pas - I love it.

(Now, the serious issues that cropped up with the Pop-N-Lock tailgate handle is for another thread.)
Old 02-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #23
njtaco09 is on a distinguished road
Name: James
njtaco09's Tacoma Gallery
I Just installed the fold a cover about a month ago and love the ability to open both sides. I just wish I could get the toolbox that goes with it because im using two plastic bins with a bed bar right now.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #24
I love my taco
tfortunato is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
tfortunato's Tacoma Gallery
I have the G2 with the Pop N Lock handle and I love both of them. Had them for over a month, they work great for me.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #25
Dreamer
TexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud of

Name: Kellan
TexasBlue's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember... having a cover on the bed doesn't provide any meaningful increase in fuel economy. But of course, there are plenty of other reasons to get a bed cover (looks, security, weather protection, etc).
Old 04-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #26
swatbob is on a distinguished road
swatbob's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been looking at the Armorlid one piece tonneau cover. Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #27
copdude33 will become famous soon enoughcopdude33 will become famous soon enough
Army:
copdude33's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both and would recommend the undercover. It's more sturdy, wont dent like the HD bakflip, is cooler in the sun, and hardly a drop of water gets in. The HD Bakflip leaked like hell regardless of how much weather stripping I used. The under cover is durable and light weight and you can take it on and off in less than 2 minutes. Hangs up nice in the garage if I want to go without it.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:32 AM   #28
Deano is on a distinguished road
Army: combat medic Vietnam
Name: Dean
Deano's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered the undercover so glad to hear the good reviews. Need to keep my hunting and fishing stuff dry underneath. Didn't need a large shell that everyone can see in and see what you have inside. Also doesn't limit my sight putting the boat in the water on the trailer. Think i made the right decision from what i read here
Old 08-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #29
Rockinroad is on a distinguished road
Rockinroad's Tacoma Gallery
My name is Morrie, and I sell BakFlips exclusively through www.bakfactoryoutlet.com. I talk to customers all day about the relative benefits of the different covers. The tilt up covers generally turn your truck bed into a station wagon because of their height limitation. Folding covers are better, but all of them have to be removed if you want to use your whole truck bed which leaves you with no cover when your get to where you're going. The BakFlip is the ONLY cover that gives you 100% use of your truck bed without removing it. Off Roaders especially appreciate the BakFlip because after they unload their bikes and ATVs they just close the cover and lock up their gear without having to leave it exposed in the back seat of their truck. Please feel free to contact me at 866 506-0142 ext. 704 for special forum prices on all of our products and be sure to check out the brand new BakBox at www.bakflip.com/bakchat
Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #30
I love my taco

I've had my bakflip now for over 6 months and it leaks horribly. I think my next bed cover will have to be a 1-piece cover that lifts up and down.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #31
While BakFlips are not 100% waterproof in all conditions they do keep your truck bed dry in most situations. You should contact customer service at BAK to see if they can help you with any extra seals or installation modifications that may raise the level of performance for you. 818 365-9000 ask for Jessie or Oscar.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #32
I love my taco

I'll call today. Thank you for the information.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #33
punkpsy is on a distinguished road
Name: Leo
punkpsy's Tacoma Gallery
Question

out of curiosity, most of u that have these covers just have the plastic bed liner????

or do u have a spray on type.?

I keep reading how some leak and some don't but I am now wondering if you have the plastic or spray on. please let us know.

I plan on spraying my bed liner with line x, and thinking about a cover myself.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #35
Deano is on a distinguished road
Army: combat medic Vietnam
Name: Dean
Deano's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the undercover on my 2010 for some time now and love it other than the darn lock covers. One especailly keeps flipping up in the wind of normal driving and kind of worry about snow and ice getting in the lock during our midwest winters. I am a hunter and fisherman and hunt durning the winter. Contacted the co. and they sent me new locks but they have the same covers. Need to have a spring loaded or snap cover on them as i can see. How hard would that be to make? Other than that i love the cover and keeps my gear dry. Pops off in min. if you need to haul something and is light to lift but a two person job. Not a big thing for me. Main thing is it is DRY inside. Such a great cover and a poor lock cover if you live in cold climate. Hope they come up with a update replacement. Find out if the snow and ice freezes them very soon. Anybody been through the winter with them? They just told me to use lock de icer. Poor solution. Still i am happy so far with the cover. Absolutely love the 2010 4X4 sport truck. Pulls my fishing boat with ease. Have 6,000 miles on the truck and cover. Good site
Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #36
krankusmaximus is on a distinguished road
Name: Craig
krankusmaximus's Tacoma Gallery
G2 bakflip - rail usage

Can anyone answer if you can still use the OEM toyota rail system with the G2 bakflip to lockdown dirtbike/quad?
Old 09-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #37
Hey Craig:
Morrie here form the BakFactoryoutlet.com. If you need a tie down system, then you can order our CS rails for an extra $100. The rail upgrade comes with 4 sliding tie downs that sit on the top of the rails. Please call if you want to ask any more questions. 866 506-0142 ext. 704
Old 12-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #38
FTL911 is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
FTL911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I have the Bakflip G2. It won't help fuel efficiency (no Tonnaeu cover will). The truck is most fuel efficient with no cover. I haven't paid much attention to whether it leaks or not.
I totally disagree...And the windtunnel tests prove it. Any time you can smooth out the air flow over a huge divit such as a truck bed, you improve the efficiency in how that object (the truck) moves through the air, reducing drag, and thus improving fuel economy.
You should have taken, or paid attention in physics class
Old 12-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #39
wyotracker is on a distinguished road

Name: will
wyotracker's Tacoma Gallery
put a cover on mine 2 weeks ago with no noticable mpg differance -
Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #40
BakFlip was tested by SEMA and improved HIGHWAY mileage by up to 11%. Of course, if you drive 90 and are using passing gear all the time that number goes down, but if you just cruise at 70-80 you'll definitely see a significant improvement on your trips! i see an extra 50 miles out of my tank with my cover closed over the Highway on my trips to LA!

Products Discussed in this Thread