Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

BakFlip G2 or Undercover Tonneau Cover?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #41
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL911 View Post
I totally disagree...And the windtunnel tests prove it. Any time you can smooth out the air flow over a huge divit such as a truck bed, you improve the efficiency in how that object (the truck) moves through the air, reducing drag, and thus improving fuel economy.
You should have taken, or paid attention in physics class
Perhaps you should have paid attention to the test results.

http://www.trucktestdigest.com/TTDfe...teUporDown.htm

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/e...s_cures_f.html

Quote:
Episode 43: Seasickness Cures, Finger in the Gun Barrel, Tailgate Gas Efficiency

• Sticking your finger in the barrel of a gun as it's firing will cause the gun to blow up and leave you safe: mythbusted. You can get a barrel to balloon slightly, but it won't explode and you will lose your hand.
  • You save more gas with the tailgate down in a pickup truck: mythbusted. You save more gas with the tailgate up.
  • Seasickness cures: they tested various non-pharmaceutical remedies, a placebo, and an over-the-counter pharmaceutical drug and found that ginger pills were a plausible remedy. The pharmaceutical drug worked as well, but made them loopy.

There are tons of other tests and articles all supporting the same thing. So now you can go back to being the smug know it all.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #42
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
On the subject though, I have the Bakflip G2 and it doesn't leak in the rain. The only time water has leaked in is during a car wash with pressurized water that sprays along the seals. Even then the water that got in was minimal and the center of the bed was still dry.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #43
cahams5 is on a distinguished road
cahams5's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down BAk Flip

BAk Flip is falling a part taking it off. Cracked warped and is just 2 yrs old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobhc View Post
Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinion on something. I just got a 2008 Indigo Blue Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Shortbed. I really want to get a cover for it for better fuel efficiency and because it will start raining soon and I want the trunk dry. Which one should I get?

The Under-cover Tonneau
http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A1608A0A0.aspx

or

The Bak Flip G2 Tonneau
http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A2808A0A0.aspx

Have any of you had any experiences with any of them? I've heard that the G2 sometimes leaks but I've also heard its great and perfect and 100% all weather proof. Does anybody have any of these on their Tacoma?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #44
stephan305 is on a distinguished road
stephan305's Tacoma Gallery
can anyone tell me where to get a new skid plate,not the factory one.but a custom one.i have a 1999 prerunner with a 2 1/2 inch lift.even if it needs to be fabed.or any after market skid plate.it would be nice to get diamond plate to match my tool box and bed rail.just got superliner sprayedin the bed,turned out great! looks like a paint job.much better than any other brand.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #45
Rockinroad is on a distinguished road
Rockinroad's Tacoma Gallery
BakFlip Rules!

Morrie here owner of www.bakfactoryoutlet.com. We offer factory direct prices and industry best customer service. check us out before you make a final decision. I will personally handle your order 866 506-0142 ext.704
Old 01-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #47
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at those but went with the access limited. Fit is perfect, (you take the rails off and install with little spacers, provided).
Cover bolts rather than clamp on. http://www.agricover.com/downloads/p...structions.pdf

Seals tight and rolls out of way quck. When you roll up it does not block window.

I like mine.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #48
GeoTaco1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Geo
GeoTaco1's Tacoma Gallery
Who makes the backflip for Tacoma Rails?

I saw a video that showed a hard folding cover with patented self locking system that locks automatically as you push it down into the Tacoma rail system? I did not bookmark it and I dont't know who makes it?

Has anyone seen this type of folding cover?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #49
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco1 View Post
I saw a video that showed a hard folding cover with patented self locking system that locks automatically as you push it down into the Tacoma rail system? I did not bookmark it and I dont't know who makes it?

Has anyone seen this type of folding cover?
I think you answsered your own question. it is BakFlip. they are the only ones i know of that slam locks with no key. Bakflip is made by Bak Industries.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #50
GeoTaco1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Geo
GeoTaco1's Tacoma Gallery
The Bak Flip does not utilize the rails

Based on what I read, you have to take the rails out! Not a very Tacoma friendly option.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #51
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco1 View Post
Based on what I read, you have to take the rails out! Not a very Tacoma friendly option.
are you talking about having to take out the bed rails? I don't believe any bed cover requires you to do that...if you did, that would cause the bed to flop as the rails add stability. what the bakflip does is has its own rails that mount onto the bed rails.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #52
splitshot37 is on a distinguished road
Name: scott
splitshot37's Tacoma Gallery
BakFlip website only has Double cabs listed for '06 Toyota tacomas. Does anyone know if it matters if i have a regular cab but still the same bed length? http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/cart/prod_listbsHD2.asp
Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #53
Hello Splitshot:
I am th owner of www.bakfactoryoutlet.com and have an answer to your question. The 2006 Double cabs are 5' a bed length, the other cabs have a 6' bed length. Please measure your bed from the inside edge of the tail gate to the inside edge of the cross rail at the bulk head of your bed. We have a great forum price on the BakFlip for your Tacoma. Please call at 866 506-0142 ext. 704 and I will be happy to take care of you.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #54
cahams5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinion on something. I just got a 2008 Indigo Blue Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Shortbed. I really want to get a cover for it for better fuel efficiency and because it will start raining soon and I want the trunk dry. Which one should I get?

The Under-cover Tonneau

or

The Bak Flip G2 Tonneau

Have any of you had any experiences with any of them? I've heard that the G2 sometimes leaks but I've also heard its great and perfect and 100% all weather proof. Does anybody have any of these on their Tacoma?
i have a bak flip and i would not recommend it to anyone it is a hunk of yiou know what leaks warped and is cracking and it is only 3 years old.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #55
Old BakFlip report

There have been many upgrades to the BakFlip in the last 3 years. All panels on the G-2 and HD are aluminum which does not warp or crack. The BakFlip HD is an OEM product for Ford now and there are a ton of Tacoma World forum members who love their BakFlips. No hard folding tonneau does what the BakFlip does by allowing maximum use of your truckbed without removing the cover. The BakFlip is the most practical and versatile cover available today. Please contact me for the best price and unequaled customer service.

Thanks,
Morrie
866 506-0142 ext.704
Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #56
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Tacos View Post
Can you install the undercover if you have the toyota factory bed extender installed already? I'm hoping that the hardware required to hold the bed extender doesn't interfere with the undercover....anybody know..
Yes you can. I have this setup.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #57
stephan305 is on a distinguished road
stephan305's Tacoma Gallery
if you ever get your bedliner done.go with superliner,it looks more like paint and will hold up to anything you can put in it.plus does not interfear with after market bed mats or extender.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #58
cahams5's Tacoma Gallery
My first one fell apart the second one they sent fell apart warped at the top then came apart folding area-leaks and has been readjusted a billion times-I would shop around before I ever purchased one of these cover.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #60
cahams5's Tacoma Gallery
bak

Quote:

The Under-cover Tonneau

or

The Bak Flip G2 Tonneau

They leak and fall apart have had 2 one they replaced because of glue issue and the 2nd one is no better. they claim now that its improvedwould go with something else.

Products Discussed in this Thread