1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BakFlip G2 or Undercover Tonneau Cover?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Cobhc, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Mar 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    cahams5

cahams5 Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    They leak and fall apart have had 2 one they replaced because of glue issue and the 2nd one is no better. they claim now that its improvedwould go with something else.

2. Mar 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    Rockinroad

Rockinroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR-5
    I don't know why cahams5 keeps posting the same old comments about his BakFlip...there are 100's of positive reviews about the BakFlip all over the web and the truck forums. The product is solid and proven to last. All of the BakFlips are compatible with the Tacoma and mount over the rail system. There is now a tie down system available to work with the BakFlip rails as well. Please contact me directly @ 800 653-7089 ext. 704 My name is Morrie and I will be happy to talk to any of you guys who want more info.

3. Mar 18, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    dand

dand You can't see me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SE VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 MBM TRD Offroad MT
    1st stage commencing
    all 8 of his posts deal with BakFlip covers.Seems like a spurned little bitch,lol.

4. Mar 18, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    GregLee98

GregLee98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    I have a Bakflip F1. Love it. Tough and durable. Installed the drain tubes and it is watertight. Dry bed, secure bed. Love it.

5. Mar 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    cahams5

cahams5 Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I would shop around and the reason I keep posting my comments is they are true..after 2 of them..They are not water tight even with drain tubes and they do warp and they do fall apart at the rivot areas..so

6. Mar 19, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    cahams5

cahams5 Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    The reason I am addressing you his is a her but her his also so said it the worst covers, and would advise anyone to shop around before purchasing this cover.

7. Mar 20, 2012 at 4:57 AM
    GregLee98

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Cat-back Exhaust URD MAF Calibrator 3 inch Top Gunz Customz Lift Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar (275/75R/17) Tires Power Tailgate Lock linked to power door locks Back-up Sensors Bakflip F1 DIY Auto-dim Rearview Mirror Power Sliding Rear Window Mod by BenWA 4x4 Switch Light Mod 400W Inverter Anytime Mod 110V In Cab Mod with 25' Extension Cord Rear Differential Breather Relocation Mod Chirp on Lock Mod A/C Off with Defrost Mod Brighter Reverse Lights Mod Tailgate Theft Deterrence (Clamp) TRD Seat Covers Extra D-Rings in front of bed
    People should shop around, that's being smart.
    Continuing to post negative comments over and over is being a pest and actually reduces your credibility.

My Bakflip cover does not leak and is great. I'm very satisfied with it.
    Its too bad you had a poor experience.

8. Mar 20, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    GregLee98

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    If anyone has questions about the Bakflip, I have the F1. Send me a PM. I'd be happy to answer whatever questions you have.

9. Mar 20, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    If anybody wants a Bakflip cover TALK TO MORRIE!!! I live in Ne and was in Ca and talked with Morrie once about eight months prior about the cover (Bakflip F1). I arrived in Ca for Christmas 2011 and made a last minute phone call to order the cover which I was able to pick up at the factory the next day. Morrie gave me the best price I had found and I searched for the eight months since our first email contact. The factory is large and very impressive when walking through and the covers seem to be made to order. There are new technologies developing with the Bak covers that I am interested to see, and Bak industries is not ignorant to the fact that they needed improvements from the first models. It seems as though Bak industries stands behind their products if there is a problem none of which I have had yet but had noticed in other forums. Morrie, I appreciate our conversations for this purchase and you thanking me for my service; thank you for your customer service. I have not had the opportunity to install the cover yet so I have no review of my own (Deployments seem to talk most of my time right now). I will give a full review when I get back. I do however like the flush look, the use of bed space and the dent resistancy.

10. Mar 23, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    TRDSport10

TRDSport10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhode Island & Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC TRD Sport 4x4 - Silver
    TRD Exhaust, Tube Steps, Towing Hitch, Paint Protection Film, Bed Mat, Wheel Locks, Spare Tire Lock, First Aid Kit, Ashtray Cup, TRD Air Filter, TRD Oil Cap, TRD Radiator Cap, FJ TRD Hub Caps, FJ TRD Shift Knob, BackFlip F1, TSB Rear Springs, Coupe TRD Battery Hold Down Bar, KatzKin Leather Seats with W.E.T. Seat Heaters, WeatherTech: FloorLiners DigitalFit, Side Window Deflectors, ClearCover License, LampGard
    BakFlip F1 installed November 2010, straightforward installation. Only draw back, it would have been nice to not have to give up the utility of the stock Tacoma bed rail tie-down system. Very convenient to use, just remember to put tailgate up before closing the last panel.

No issues with leakage, reasonably dry, but not as dry as the Camry or Corolla trunks (but not expected to be).

Overall, very satisfied with the BakFlip F1 on my silver TRD Sport, and have recommended Bak tonneau covers to several friends.

11. Apr 4, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    Eltacos

Eltacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    BFE CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    LED conversion on every accessible bulb, TRD exhaust (dealership threw in for free along with the Blu-Logic).

I went the G2 route
    IMAG0159_93f5fc1c73dd15301554a9f8c398a7cec7c20b3f.jpg

12. Apr 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    JOHNNYSTACO

JOHNNYSTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    2011 4 door black Prerunner SR5
    Front Billet grille Tinted tail lights, Tinted windows, 35%-back & 20%-front, Blacked out symbols, Removed mud flaps, Retrax tonneau cover 49" LED tail brake & signial taillight
    honestly i got the Retrax rolling cover its amazing.. barely any water gets through
    this isnt my truck i just found a pic online
    [​IMG]

13. Dec 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I have the G4 Elite fold a cover and love it, It is my best mod to date. The best part for me is the way it opens at the cab area.

14. Dec 19, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    cahams5

cahams5 Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Mine is cracking ,has come apart at the hinge areas warped at the front part of the bed,,leaks after numerious attempts to adjust it.

15. Dec 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    Rockinroad

Rockinroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR-5
    The all new Roll-X was introduced earlier this year and is the most waterproof, durable, and secure cover that BakIndustries has ever made. When open it does not block the back window like all of the BakFlips do. The bast bang for the buck of the BakFlip line up is either the BakFlip FiberMax or VP. Check out the cutting edge action Roll-X promo....the promo on youtube has had almost 35,000 views in just 3 weeks! We specialize in Bak's products and offer the friendliest and most product smart customer service of any online dealer. We are there for you before and after the sale....
    Thanks,
    Morrie

800 653-7089 ext. 704

www.bakfactoryoutlet.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e5Pa5WbH4o

16. Jan 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    adrenaline66

adrenaline66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Northern Virginia/D.C. Area
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    AIRAID sealed CAI w/Dry Filter, Flowmaster Cat Back SS Exhaust, Demello Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, BAK-FLIP Solid Tonneau Cover w/Ladder Racks and Bike Carrier.
    O.K., I'm admiitidly late on posting on this one, just found the post based on one of my posts. I would like to say in advance this may be long winded, but I'm not compensated for any positive remarks an this is honest.

I started out with an Extang Solid Fold with the hopes of putting a Bike Rack on top. In hindsight: Not possible without damaging the cover. Solid Fold is a great cover, easy install/removal, and looks great. Definately worth the money.

Heard about BakFlip through a website, did research, and was hooked. I purchased the BakFlip CS (HD w/Rack) factory direct. Great customer service and pricing. Sidenote, there was an error on website, stating BakFlip CS included extra items: turns out items were supposed to cost extra, but I pointed out the website - once they confirmed their error, they honored the extras at no cost.

My BakFlip arrived in a timely manner (around May, 2012), but there were cosmetic issues with the rail finish. I called customer service and told them, they offered to send me a new one or I could keep the one I had since the 3 Year Warranty covered the finish (I could have it replaced within that time if the finish worsened). I opted to keep it.

Install was a snap, instructions were spot on, took less than 30 minutes by myself.

Testing operation: Worked flawlessly - almost. I noticed the tailgate wasn't closing fully, but the latches did engage. After a closer look, I noticed that the ends extended a 1/4" too far (both rails). I had 3 options: (1) Request replacement, (2) Cut 1/4" off Tailgate End, or (3) cut 1/4" of Notch at forward portion. I chose Option 3 for a cleaner look, it was less time consuming than requesting a replacement and there was no need to cut any rubber gaskets. This option also allowed me to trim the overhang at the forward end (I felt overhang was a bit long, IMHO).

Worked great and looked awesome (I will post pics later).

Now the Bike Rack: I went with YAKIMA as they had an option that I felt would work with a little time, measurement, and work. I measured where I wanted to put the cross bar and drilled/tapped the rails. Used the YAKIMA Bolts and Blue LockTite. Looked and worked great.

Now I have the best of all worlds: A Hard Tonneau Cover, Rack System, and Bike Rack that works together and all parts are easy on/off. There are drawbacks though, like with bikes on, I can only have the front rack on. That has nothing to do with the BakFlip or YAKIMA Designs, it's due to the length of the bikes and that the TACO DC has a shorter bed. Another is that I have to take the Bike Rack Cross Bars off to fold the BakFlip up, but I knew that ahead of time and expected it. That said, this is a truly modular system that takes minutes for me to convert it for tasks at hand.

I also have to mention that I noticed Morrie is a TACO Owner, what better product support can you get than from a person who owns a product he makes equipment for? Just mu $0.02.

17. Feb 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    WeberSarge

WeberSarge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ohio, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRD 4X4 Quad Cab , '77 FJ40
    Stock for now...
    Just joined today , nice writeups on the covers , thanks .
    My '08 came with an Access Limited from Agricover , love it ! Just a few drops around the tailgate from driving 70+ in a hard rain last week , otherwise stays bone dry and rolls up well out of the way . I'd never considered putting a cover on a pickup since it ruins the ability to haul , but this thing is downright cool . Nice part is it retains the factory tie-down system which is a great help , thanks Mr. Toyoda ....
    Sarge

18. May 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM
    wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Manual

Hey all, just joined the forum today, got my first new tacoma about a month ago, and I'm loving it so far!

Adrenaline66 -
    This is exactly what I was thinking of doing, and is why I've been scouring threads about the bakflip covers. Any chance you could post some pics on your bike rack setup? I was thinking of putting a set of the bolt top loaders mounted on the top of the panels of the bakflip and then using raingutter towers to put a set of crossbars on when I need the rack.

I'm wondering if I can still fold the cover up with those brackets on there (I think I probably can) but was wondering how you did it?

Thanks for the great info, looking forward to some pics if you're up for it!

-Nathan

19. May 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    Seacat3011

Seacat3011 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Bucklin, KS-Hays, KS
    Vehicle:
    13 Pyrite Mica 4X4 Off Road
    Black Steelcraft 4" tube step, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau, Rampage LED Tailgate Light Bar, Ultragauge, AVS Vent Visors, Flyzeye V2W
    So does the Bakflip work with the factory bedrail system?

20. May 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    adrenaline66

adrenaline66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Northern Virginia/D.C. Area
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    AIRAID sealed CAI w/Dry Filter, Flowmaster Cat Back SS Exhaust, Demello Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, BAK-FLIP Solid Tonneau Cover w/Ladder Racks and Bike Carrier.
    Hi Nathan,

I will Post some pics tomorrow, the 7th in the evening. I think my system works great, but there may be issues the way you are thinking:

The BakFlip is strong, but thin. If you drill into it, you may have leaks and void any warranties. Also, the panels wouldn't fold properly with the towers, the panels pretty much fold flat.

If you go with the BakFlip CS, which comes with the rack, you can drill/tap the rails as I did. This also gives you the option of connecting the Bike Trays to the supplied rack. A little time and research, I'm sure you will come up with what's best for you.

Again, I will post some more pics tomorrow.

photo.jpg
    photo copy.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top