Notices

BakFlip G2 or Undercover Tonneau Cover?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
Cobhc is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
Cobhc's Tacoma Gallery
BakFlip G2 or Undercover Tonneau Cover?

Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinion on something. I just got a 2008 Indigo Blue Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Shortbed. I really want to get a cover for it for better fuel efficiency and because it will start raining soon and I want the trunk dry. Which one should I get?

The Under-cover Tonneau
http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A1608A0A0.aspx

or

The Bak Flip G2 Tonneau
http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A2808A0A0.aspx

Have any of you had any experiences with any of them? I've heard that the G2 sometimes leaks but I've also heard its great and perfect and 100% all weather proof. Does anybody have any of these on their Tacoma?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobhc View Post
Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinion on something. I just got a 2008 Indigo Blue Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Shortbed. I really want to get a Tonneau cover for it for better fuel efficiency and because it will start raining soon and I want the trunk dry. Which one should I get?
I have the Undercover on mine. I mainly went with it because I got it off of Craigslist for cheap. I never liked the fiberglass solid tonneau covers, but I think this one looks good because it matches all of the black plastic trim. It also takes only about a minute to remove.

Originally I really really wanted the Bakflip G2. I've heard good and bad things about them. I know atleast two members on TW have them.

I recently ran across the Fold-A-Cover G4, which is now what I really wish I had. I haven't heard anything about them from anyone, but it looks to me like they are built a fair bit better than the Bakflip G2. Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:37 AM   #3
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting a G2 only because I think it will suit my needs a little bit better than an Undercover.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
I'm getting a G2 only because I think it will suit my needs a little bit better than an Undercover.
I definately would be better off with the G2 or G4. I just couldn't pass up on a deal.

Plus, shipping to Alaska is a biotch!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:42 AM   #5
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Where did you find the G4?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Where did you find the G4?
Linky!

http://www.foldacover.com/Products/G...3/Default.aspx
Old 09-30-2008, 01:46 AM   #7

Thank you!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
i got a G2 bakflip. its great. it does leak a bit but only if the two star bolts that hold the whole lid on is loose. but if it is tight it won't leak. i like the fact that it folds all the way to use the whole bed if needed. if i had the cash i would get the fold-a-cover cause i like that it can open on both ends and it has it own key lock. the bakflip has no lock it with key. it does lock but to open it you have to open the tailgate then pull the cable to unlatch panel by panel. however if you do go with a fold-a-cover one thing i hate about it is that the metal strips that hold the panel are held in place by 3m double sided tape. only good thing about it is that you don't loose your rails.

overall i am happy with my bakflip. its flush with the bed and looks clean.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
Addicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the rough

Addicted's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Bakflip, and I love it. I haven't seen it leak, but I haven't paid very close attention to it either. However, get rid of the star bolts and just use regular bolts w/ lock washers. You get more room and they don't come loose.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
I got the Bakflip, and I love it. I haven't seen it leak, but I haven't paid very close attention to it either. However, get rid of the star bolts and just use regular bolts w/ lock washers. You get more room and they don't come loose.
i was thinking bout that. i heard some use wing nuts too. anyhow, what type of lock washers did you use? the ones they sent me were the prickly ones that look like stars.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
Addicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the rough

Addicted's Tacoma Gallery
yea, that's what I used. cheap and easy.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #12

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
yea, that's what I used. cheap and easy.
cool, i'm gonna go to home depot this weekend and get some. probably get the nuts with the rubber inner liner along with new lock washers just for added security cause i'm sick of having to tighten it like every 2 or so weeks every time.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
Fish Tacos is on a distinguished road
Fish Tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Can you install the undercover if you have the toyota factory bed extender installed already? I'm hoping that the hardware required to hold the bed extender doesn't interfere with the undercover....anybody know..
Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
BertDM is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: District Captain - Auxiliary
BertDM's Tacoma Gallery
BakFlip

I have and like the BakFlip inspite of the fact that the side rails on the panels became unglued and I put rivets in to keep them in place. I like the ability to fold open what I want when transporting large items.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobhc View Post
Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinion on something. I just got a 2008 Indigo Blue Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Shortbed. I really want to get a Tonneau cover for it for better fuel efficiency and because it will start raining soon and I want the trunk dry. Which one should I get?
I have the Bakflip G2. It won't help fuel efficiency (no Tonnaeu cover will). The truck is most fuel efficient with no cover. I haven't paid much attention to whether it leaks or not.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #16
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A2056A0A0.aspx

Extang Trifecta. No leaks, and folds up out of the way. I liked this one best, after having a backflip on my old truck
Old 06-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #17
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought the Trifecta this past weekend and so far am quite pleased. Only decent cover that was actually in stock (didn't want to order one). I got it for under $500 cdn. It was very easy to install. Looks great, very easy to open and close, easy to take off when wanting to haul my atv and no wind noise at all. Not 100% water proof though. I noticed a few water spots in the back. Not much at all considering the heavy rain we had for 2 days. It's a decent cover at a great price
Old 06-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #18
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
If you live in Southern Cal...

I ended up at the BAK factory in San Fernando after delivering some packages there.

They said they would allow customers to pick up products from their factory save you shipping charges. They said they would give me a 10% discount too. Not sure if that goes for everyone.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #19
Strev will become famous soon enough
Strev's Tacoma Gallery
Good for tools?

Anyone hauling tools with this cap on? Just wondering. I live in an apt. complex and cant have a trailer so I must get a cover for the S. Fl rains. Sucks to drive down 95 with 3k worth of tools in the back and the sky opens up..
Old 10-16-2009, 04:29 AM   #20
Toomacho is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
Toomacho's Tacoma Gallery
Went with the Undercover on my 09. Very pleased with it. Keeps my stuff dry and secure plus is easy to remove when needed. The interrior light really comes in handy too.

Products Discussed in this Thread