Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

CNG Fuel System Installed [pics]

Old 05-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #21
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawwwg View Post
...yes, it is very expensive to install ,about 2 years to recover cost at $3.50 a gallon...
Willing to share with us how much 'very expensive' was for you? First decision point is if this even worth further investigating: next would be how much it will cost in PA.

From the website provided, it looks like there are a number of places to get CNG in PA; one really close by my home too! But there are huge swaths of the east that are blank (entire states...suggesting nanny stateism at it's worst). So it has to be worth it as I'll still be using gas.

I also have to debate losing access to the forward wall of my bed is worth it. Kinda defeats the purpose of getting the gas hog in the first place as carrying large items is safe only by strapping them to the forward wall.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #22
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
8 to 16 thousand dollars to have CNG installed! Uh, no thanks.

Steve
Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #23
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
I also have to debate losing access to the forward wall of my bed is worth it. Kinda defeats the purpose of getting the gas hog in the first place as carrying large items is safe only by strapping them to the forward wall.
You could always put the tank into a toolbox, maybe even relocate the forward tie down rail to the back of the tool box. Still lose the space but keep the wall at least.

The ideal situation would be to mount the tank under the truck but I don't know if there's a decent way to make that happen.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Do they add the rotten egg smell in the CNG for automotive use like they do with propane? Here I see quite a few propane-powered taxis; they all stink in the cab, and not from the driver...
Old 05-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #25
LIVE TO FLY
Kdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken
Kdawwwg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tano View Post
op, did they tell you to run the car on regular gas a least 3 times a week?
Change spark plugs more often and keep your air filter clean.
Natural gas is very popular were I grew up, I had a couple of car on CNG, until I could afford a diesel and I can tell you that CNG dries everything in your manifold, o rings, houses, etc, that's why it's important to run it on regular gas to lubricate.
I don't think Toyota prepares the engines for CNG.
its a hybrid system,it starts on gas tell it warms up,then switchs to cng ,an then switchs back when you are less then 1000 rpm ,so the motor is getting enough gas to be happy
ford,chevy.honda,toyota,a motor is a motor
spark plugs do need to be change sooner is all.
an the oil change can go 15000[if i wanted to] an will be as clean as it went in
Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #26
LIVE TO FLY
Kdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kdawwwg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
Willing to share with us how much 'very expensive' was for you? First decision point is if this even worth further investigating: next would be how much it will cost in PA.

From the website provided, it looks like there are a number of places to get CNG in PA; one really close by my home too! But there are huge swaths of the east that are blank (entire states...suggesting nanny stateism at it's worst). So it has to be worth it as I'll still be using gas.

kit runs between $5000/6000 installed,depending on tank size[not $16000,you would have to be on crack to pay that]
Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #27
LIVE TO FLY

Kdawwwg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Why CNG, versus, say propane?
cng stations available all over utah ,navada,cali,[that my areas]
half the price of propane
Old 05-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #28
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Why CNG, versus, say propane?
Searching this out I also found out propane, or LPG, is heavier than air and CNG, or compressed natural gas, is lighter than air! So CNG is the preferred for vehicular use from a safety stand point.

I'm thinking the conversions I remember from the 80's were LPG.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #29
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

taconinja's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to taconinja
Payback calculator located here:
http://www.altecheco.com/pages/calculator.htm
Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #30
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
interesting....
Old 07-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #32
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Really shitty pics, but that is really cool!!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #34
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Very interesting...
Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #35
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
Is this doable in canada???
This was going to be the latest and greatest about 10 years ago in my area (BC) but it never really caught on and filling stations are few and far between. That and the fact that you have to sacrifice alot of real estate for the large tanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #36
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Well done. LPG has been used for as long as I can remember (10-12 years) in India on taxis and tuk-tuks. I imagine CNG is but a better and more modern version.

What MPG are you getting with CNG?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
... LPG has been used for as long as I can remember (10-12 years) in India on taxis and tuk-tuks...
It's also used by a lot of fleet vehicles in the US... busses and municipal fleets especially.

Installed at manufacture makes a lot more sense though 'cause it'll be a lot cheaper.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #38
KinGriz is on a distinguished road
KinGriz's Tacoma Gallery
Now that you have had your system for a while what do you think about it. I am considering doing the same thing. Not sure if I want to buy a new truck or used and have it installed. Have you had any problems with the installed system or any thing else?
I really like the idea of going for a drive and not think about how much gas is going to cost. I know that I will keep the truck for a long time I'm currently driving a 93 with 240k and running strong.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #39
Will Radford is on a distinguished road
Name: Will Radford
Will Radford's Tacoma Gallery
Kdawwwg: Do post better pics if you have them. I picked up a CNG conversion kit for my 2004 Tacoma for about $550 and my tanks (6 gallon, used, expire in 2016) were about $250. I'm midway through the installation, doing it myself, and would be interested in seeing your setup in better detail. Thanks.