Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

convince the old man to lift...

Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
xwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
xwillx93's Tacoma Gallery
convince the old man to lift...

Im looking into the bilstein adjustable lift on toytec. http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
all i need is about 3" to comfortably fit 33" tires without having trim. my only problem: my dad. He's so against lifting trucks for God knows what reason, but i could use some help in convincing him! so what are some benefits? gas is high and itll make it worse, but im sick of my 4x4 looking like a 2wd status i'm paying for it so thats not the issue
Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Is he paying for the truck??

There aren't really any pros to tell him if he is against lifting- It will be more gas to spin bigger tires, potential for more drivetrain wear, be more inclined to take it off road...non of which is good if he doesn't see the reason to lift.
You'll fit the bigger tires, get a little better articulation with the right lift parts, better ground clearance due to the larger tires, etc...but there are negatives to each of those.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Does he own or pay insurance on the truck? Tell him the lift will get you laid more, and that can make your old man proud!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
xwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Is he paying for the truck??

There aren't really any pros to tell him if he is against lifting- It will be more gas to spin bigger tires, potential for more drivetrain wear, be more inclined to take it off road...non of which is good if he doesn't see the reason to lift.
You'll fit the bigger tires, get a little better articulation with the right lift parts, better ground clearance due to the larger tires, etc...but there are negatives to each of those.
Ya he payed for it. It was his company truck until he got laid off and purchased it from them for me to drive. But I can understand a lot of that for like 6" lifts and bigger but, is 3" really going to affect gas milage and my drivetrain very dramatically? I've done tons of research so I'm very familiar with lifts
Old 05-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwillx93 View Post
Ya he payed for it. It was his company truck until he got laid off and purchased it from them for me to drive. But I can understand a lot of that for like 6" lifts and bigger but, is 3" really going to affect gas milage and my drivetrain very dramatically? I've done tons of research so I'm very familiar with lifts
Between the wind resistance and bigger tires a 1-1.5mpg drop isn't unheard of. It may not *** your driveline right off the bat...but it certainly can do damage (there is a thread about CV angles bouncing around the top page right now and there are several other known issues that pop up from time to time.

I totally think it's worth it to drive a lifted truck....but you have a huge uphill battle if he thinks it's not worth it.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
just be happy you have a nice truck! (not to say that you aren't.)

if you really wanna lift it, do it, he'll get over it eventually.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #9

Alright. The lift replaces the shocks with 5100s all around, new coils, front spacers, and 2" leafs for the back so I can throw down the improvement of ride quality and better looks. As for insurance I'm paying half and i pay for gas. But Any other pros I can show him? I live in Florida so there's no extreme terrain, and it's a new truck so I'm not gonna sink it. But any other input would be helpful thanks guys
Old 05-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Son, if he is paying for the truck then it's his truck... Why don't you buy the truck from him and then put a 3" lift on yourself.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #11

Believe me im more than thankful for the yota! but yeah 04lttacoma... i can understand where you're coming from, its still his property and ill have to respect that its still his. oh well, maybe itll happen one day! thanks guys
Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
yeah just wait a little. when the truck gets older he'll care less about you modifying it.

or hell, show him some pictures, tell him its something you really wanna do, maybe he'll understand.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
i lifted my 03 ranger, superlift... broke end links and cv leaked, torsion bars creaked and popped on every bump. i'll never lift a truck again.

about the only + is it looks really good, but if it doesnt see the trail very often, id say no to a lift, if you want it to raise up some, try 5100 and an aal, heard that is safe and effective...
Old 05-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #14

sure, me and my friends go trail riding and stuff but, its nothing extreme where i need a better suspension. my main goal is for some bigger aggressive tires. So if i get billys all around and about a 2" leaf, could i get around 2-2.5"?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
search for that, cause im not sure of actual lift specs
Old 05-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
Banned
TacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMatt02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
Son, if he is paying for the truck then it's his truck... Why don't you buy the truck from him and then put a 3" lift on yourself.
I don't think a 21 year old is in any situation to call him son lmao
Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #17
JeenyusSB is a name known to allJeenyusSB is a name known to allJeenyusSB is a name known to allJeenyusSB is a name known to allJeenyusSB is a name known to allJeenyusSB is a name known to all

JeenyusSB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sure, me and my friends go trail riding and stuff but, its nothing extreme where i need a better suspension. my main goal is for some bigger aggressive tires. So if i get billys all around and about a 2" leaf, could i get around 2-2.5"?
I have billys set at 2.5 and a 2" aal. That gave me about 2.5" lift. I have 285/75/16 waiting to be put on. Thats about 32.8" tires. I will have to do some trimming but even with 3" i heard you may have to also.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Get coil overs or 5100s and air bags in the back, then every couple months lift it half or 3/4 of an inch, he'll never notice
Old 05-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeenyusSB View Post
I have billys set at 2.5 and a 2" aal. That gave me about 2.5" lift. I have 285/75/16 waiting to be put on. Thats about 32.8" tires. I will have to do some trimming but even with 3" i heard you may have to also.
you have a build page goin where i can see how she stands? or pictures?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvtalon View Post
Get coil overs or 5100s and air bags in the back, then every couple months lift it half or 3/4 of an inch, he'll never notice

Great idea! but i think im just gonna go with some billys all around, and not mention im setting them at 2.5" and get an aal.