1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM style switch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Zombie Runner, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Aug 25, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    Steig

Steig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    Is this switch a direct replacement for the factory fog light switch ? My current fog light switch illuminates with the head lights, but i would like to have some sort of indication that the fog lights are on. Will the factory wiring work with this switch ? Also, I have no blank openings, I would have to remove factory switch and replace with this one !
    Thank You:D

2. Aug 26, 2010 at 5:17 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Is your truck 1st or 2nd Gen? I believe this switch is offered by Toyota as a direct replacement for gen-1's. However, the gen-2's have a 4 pin switch to illuminate the backlight and are a push-button, not a rocker switch. These can be seen in post 56 of this thread...they are expensive (~$40) which is why others are using cheaper solutions. However, you can always cut the 4-pin connector and connect the appropriate wires to the gen-1 switch, but I wouldn't recommend that!

3. Aug 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner [OP] Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    your right, they are not OEM switches...but they will fit in the stock location and you CAN get one that has a light on it.

and I dont know what 4 pin's you are talking about. the illuminated one has 3 pins and the non lighted has 2 pins

4. Aug 26, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    Biff

Biff What could go wrong?

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Doublecab
    Bilstein 5100's all around, fronts set to 1.75, 18" Method Race Wheels, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ
  5. Aug 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner [OP] Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    they look cool but i wouldnt spend that much on a switch

6. Aug 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Sorry for the confusion...I'm referring to the gen-2 stock switch. It is a 4-pin connector. But the gen-1 replacements, oznium, and the ones I got from digikey are 3-pin.

7. Aug 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    Steig

Steig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    Gen 2, would like a switch that illuminates when fog lights are on.

8. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I didn't want to spend the money on the oznium switches, so I took the specs from the oznium website and looked on digikey for rockers that fit the hole. There are various switch types and backlight options, but they are typically $4-$7 each, instead of the $12 that oznium and the dealer wants.

Go to www.digikey.com and search for "rocker switch 36.6 21.2" then click "view page". www.mouser.com also has options, but digikey was cheaper.

I planned to replace the 3 top blanks
    [​IMG]

I always see quetions about how to remove them...just insert an Xacto knife (or other thin device) to unclip the blank. Take your time so you don't scar the dashboard, you'll just have to wiggle it out of there, but it will come out.
    [​IMG]

Once the first one is out, just push the other two out from the back. Unclip any unused connectors.
    [​IMG]

Just like all the other switches in this thread, you'll have to trim away some of the material in the mounting hole to get the switch to fit. Don't trim too much to ensure a tight fit, and to ensure the blanks fit again if you ever decide to remove the switches.

Here they are installed. I did all three so they look uniform.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what they would look like in the bottom holes. The bezel looks nicer down there, but I didn't want to move the stock switches to the top area.
    [​IMG]

9. Sep 13, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Nice! Thanks for showing how they pop out.

10. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM
    Tbird

Tbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    Holy Bullshit!!!

Just got back from the dealer to look into getting an OEM foglight switch for a set of additional lights behind my satoshi.

THEY want $73.00 for it!!! For a freakin little switch! At that rate these trucks should cost us 3/4 a $ million off the lot.
    I called a second dealer, 40 mi. away. They want $55 for the same switch. Shouldn't they be a lot closer?

Fu*k me! :mad:

As it is they still screwed me by charging me $17+ for the other switch that Dark Night gave us the p/n for.

Bastages!!!

11. Oct 18, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Note: the socket housing and wires are nice, but not entirely necessary. If you are strapped for cash, you can solder the wires right onto the switch posts. Just be careful not to heat it too much or else you melt the plastic and/or the internal components in the switch

You can also try what I did: I have a 4 cyl so I don't have all the bells and whistles...therefore, I had an unused 4-pin connector (see the third pic down in post #68, it's the unused socket in the top row middle). After verifying it isn't powered or wired to anything, I snipped off the connector and left enough wire for pigtails, then soldered them into my aftermarket wiring harness. All I had to do was use some snips to slightly modify the part of the connector that prevents it from plugging into the wrong switch.

12. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Anyone know where to get some similar switches as the OE 00550-35976 for the center switch blanks next the the radio aux imput and cig lighter? they are a little smaller than the ones next to the door.

13. Oct 21, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    Di Trut

Di Trut Well-Known Member

Member:
  14. Oct 22, 2010 at 5:18 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    $55 :eek: Anyone else with something cheaper like $10

15. Oct 22, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    If you can find out the dimensions of the switch, there's probably a cheaper switch available from digikey or mouser (similar to the ones I found using the oznium dimensions).

16. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Where did you find the stock switches?, and do they light up with the 'on' position, or constant on?

17. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I'm looking specifically to keep a 100% stock look of the truck, first and foremost. I did see your post about the wiring, thanks.

18. Oct 25, 2010 at 4:44 AM
    Tbird

Tbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    I've got the accessory lights all wired in now I need to power the switch. Which wire under the dash should I splice into for the switch??? (Gen 2)

I'm not slaving the lights to anything. Just turn them on/off w/ the switch.

I'd like to get this done today...if anybody can help me.

Thanks!

19. Oct 25, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
  20. Jan 9, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    I did this and it works great but is there a way to wire it so that the light symbol (like the factory fog switch) lights up when the dash lights are on? Wiring it as above, only the amber circle lights up when the aux lights are switched on. Does that light symbol even light up on these switches? The switch I used is the OEM rocker switch p/n:00550-35976.

One other question - I moved my bed outlet switch from the upper row to the lower row so that I only have light switches in the upper row now. Question is: is that outlet switch supposed to light up with the dash lights like the other switches? It doesn't now that I moved it but can't remember if it did before. Wonder if I accidentally disconnected or loosen a wire.

First pic shows where I have the new switches and where I moved the bed outlet switch to. Second pic is dark but you can see only three switches light up with the dash lights (the factory fogs, RSCA, and LSD off). Last pic shows one of the new rocker switches switched on (amber circle lights up).

Photo0025.jpg
    Photo0027.jpg
    Photo0028.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top