1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEED CV BOOT ADVICE!!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tictoc, May 3, 2011.

1. May 3, 2011 at 3:02 AM
    tictoc

tictoc [OP] Active Member

Member:
    HAWAII
    Vehicle:
    FABTECH
    fabtech 6 in,33 procomp x terrain/micky thompson 17" beadlocks,steering stabilizer kit,k&n 77 series intake with throttle body spacer,ravin exauhst
    i just noticed i tore my outter cv on the passenger side..so heres the deal is it easy enough for me to do myself?? and if i should change the inner as well while at it?? change all four?? ive read in here that u can buy the whole axle but being unemployed i need the cheapest way possible!! ur advice will b greatly appreciated!!

2. May 3, 2011 at 6:05 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You will need a new boot, some grease, two new clamps, and a clamp tool. Don't get a split boot, they suck.
    Since you have the time... Thouroughly clean the joint and inspect for damage, then regrease, and reassemble. Just hope you have the tools;)

3. May 3, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    You can get a complete axle with CVs for around $70 from RockAuto.com. It's easy, cheap, fast, and clean.

In terms of the installation, you'll need to pick up a 35mm socket to get the axle nut off, but other than that it's just basic tools.

4. May 3, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    tictoc

tictoc [OP] Active Member

Member:
    HAWAII
    Vehicle:
    FABTECH
    fabtech 6 in,33 procomp x terrain/micky thompson 17" beadlocks,steering stabilizer kit,k&n 77 series intake with throttle body spacer,ravin exauhst
    ya id buy a pair of axles man but im super low on cash plus i have the time n dont mind getting dirty at all. i have plenty of ol rags too. although i have sum things to ad because i purchased a kit from toyota they came with 4 pouches of grease 2 small n 2 bigger pouches.two are black and two are brownish color.. wut goes where????? do u mix them??

Products Discussed in

To Top