Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

If i get this, what do i need

Old 05-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Senior MoFo'ing Member
07SpeedwaySport will become famous soon enough
07SpeedwaySport's Tacoma Gallery
If i get this, what do i need

I know, never know til I get an professional opinion in person...

But just for shits and giggles, assuming no significant frame work....what do I need to get this rolling...

http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/vie...?itemid=857095

1. Entire bed
2. Leaf Springs
3. brakes lines
4. rear axle(s)
5. rear bumper
Old 05-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Wow that looks really shady. I would be worried about the frame the most.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
you need: everything thats behind the cab......hahaha looks like it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
X2. looks like the hood isn't shut all the way either. might have jarred the whole thing.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
X2. looks like the hood isn't shut all the way either. might have jarred the whole thing.
I was looking at the hood as well, could be just popped open and sitting on the latch but you can't tell until you see it in person. I'd be willing to bet the frame is tweaked.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Put Dakars on it and a Rebco box .
Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Rad Red Prerunner
eccracer104 has a spectacular aura abouteccracer104 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Mike
eccracer104's Tacoma Gallery
Long travel and a 4-Link with a Tundra axle
Old 05-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Not only is the frame twisted, there is damage to the cab also...unless you want to put this on a new frame, avoid...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Not only is the frame twisted, there is damage to the cab also...unless you want to put this on a new frame, avoid...
this MIGHT be true, but you cant make assumptions like that based only on a few crappy pictures
Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
put this on it and yer good to go

Old 05-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Located in Shady Springs WV

I would stay far from that. Hidden damage is inevitable.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Located in Shady Springs WV
very punny!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
this MIGHT be true, but you cant make assumptions like that based only on a few crappy pictures
I have been through this exact repair on a earlier Toyota pickup...we spend months trying to get the frame to realign properly in the rear. If you look at the rear 3/4 view you will see damage to the rear left corner of the cab. Even AFTER pulling the left frame rail straight, there was a bend under the cab causing a vertical misalignment of 3" at the back bumper, and to solve that, we would had to strip the cab and front off the frame, probably the engine also, since the cross members were also tweaked.

Now, let's slice this a different way...what intact body panels can we get off the truck and what is the value of those panels?

There is a reason the commercial rebuilders haven't bought the truck already.

So, assume the frame is toast and a good frame would have to be obtained and all parts switched over, that were good.

I could do it on a Jeep CJ on a weekend, but those are MUCH simplier vehicles.

Then you would still have a salvage title...
Old 05-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
I have been through this exact repair on a earlier Toyota pickup...
im just saying, looks can be deceiving. im not saying, buy this right now, the frame is fine. im just saying it MIGHT not have any frame damage because, again, looks can be deceiving
Old 05-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
I don't think that's as bad as it looks, from a frame and body perspective.

You need ONE PANEL, driver side rear quarter. The passenger side is just pushed over (because its connected to the bed), easy to fix.

There *may* be *some* damage to the frame around the suspension mounts on the driver side, fixable, probably not expensive if you don't mind a little bit of welding.

I doubt that there is a major bend in the frame, it looks like the impact picked the truck up from under the frame and hit the wheel... it didn't crush the frame from the back -- you can see that the bumper is mostly intact with just a minor dent. My best guess is that the frame is fine.

Now the stuff that would scare me is mechanical... looks like the driveshaft is hanging. That's not a good sign, could be some damage to the transfer case or transmission... maybe motor mounts, stuff like that. Definitely the spring is shot, and the shock.

Huh, even the tailgate still looks good....

Edit: I would go to 10k on it, and figure it being good for personal use only, no resale value.
x2 he's got a point. Im sure the frame isnt way messed up. I mean yeah the bed is f'ed but the tailgate looks completely fine. Which to me seems like the bed took the most of the blow. IF the frame got really messed up, wouldn't it have moved the tailgate mounts and bed mounts? But i'm just spittin' whats in my head. Could be completely wrong.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
Senior MoFo'ing Member
3 hours left in the auction....decision time boys.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #17
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Less than 2000 miles. That makes me sad. Poor little truck didn't even get a chance to stretch it's legs. Now it'll probably serve as an organ donor.

As for damage ... consider this: It had to be bad enough that State Farm totaled this brand new vehicle out.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Senior MoFo'ing Member
i chickened out. Final sale price:11100 plus probably 700 auction fees. screw that.