Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Horrible metallic dragging sound from underneath truck

Old 05-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Rad Red Prerunner
eccracer104 has a spectacular aura abouteccracer104 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Mike
eccracer104's Tacoma Gallery
Question Horrible metallic dragging sound from underneath truck

Driving home from school today I had my music turned up pretty high so I didn't hear this sound until just before I got home, so I'm not sure how long or when it started but here's the issue-

-Coming from somewhere underneath the truck there's a sound as if something is being dragged. The sound is identical to what it would be like if the cable that holds the spare tire was dangling and the metal plate was dragging on the ground. That was my first guess, then I saw my spare tire so continued to inspect and saw nothing dragging, nor any obvious issues that would cause this sound.

I know this is difficult to diagnose but any help on what to do or check would be great! I can take pictures if need be and post some shots of underneath of it will help.

Thanks all!
-Mike
Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
something grinding against the brake discs in the front?

Something making contact with the drive shaft that shouldn't?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink junky View Post
something grinding against the brake discs in the front?

Something making contact with the drive shaft that shouldn't?
x2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wheel bearings
Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
ditto from above...brake pad, brake shield, wheel bearings.

may also want to get someone else to drive it slowly while you walk around the vehicle to pinpoint it better.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
ditto from above...brake pad, brake shield, wheel bearings.

may also want to get someone else to drive it slowly while you walk around the vehicle to pinpoint it better.

i was thinking more along the lines of getting your self a harness and dangle yourself under the truck mission impossible style.... but walking works too.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I had a bad grinding sound in my '07, it turned out to be a heat shield that got loose and was rubbing. I agree with jhodge, have someone drive it slow so you can pinpoint the noise.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I had a bad grinding sound in my '07, it turned out to be a heat shield that got loose and was rubbing. I agree with jhodge, have someone drive it slow so you can pinpoint the noise while dangling yourself mission impossible style underneath
fixed.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
fixed.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I had a bad grinding sound in my '07, it turned out to be a heat shield that got loose and was rubbing. I agree with jhodge, have someone drive it slow so you can pinpoint the noise.
i got multiple small rocks between my heat shield and rotor...worst noise ever.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Neighbors mailbox?...
Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Is the tin man alive???
Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
Rad Red Prerunner
eccracer104 has a spectacular aura abouteccracer104 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for no updatesyet, I've been driving my girls bmw x3 which is pretty fun! The tin man is ok, i dumped him off at the ICU, not my problem anymore and I'm already in the process of constructing my hanging device for mission impossible... are you saying having a second person would be easier AND safer?

-Back on track... It is speed related as in the sound changes with my speed. I'm going to put some grease on my driveshaft around the carrier bearing and see if that changes anything at all, also planning on pulling a wheel to check my brake pads. If it is my wheel bearing, any tips to check it?

Later today Ill have someone drive my truck while i walk aside to listen to it.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
bluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluetaco80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
bluetaco80's Tacoma Gallery
I had a bad sound under my truck and firgured out it was a u-joint in the driveshaft needed to be replased, it sounded like metal was dragging.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccracer104 View Post
Sorry for no updatesyet, I've been driving my girls bmw x3 which is pretty fun! The tin man is ok, i dumped him off at the ICU, not my problem anymore and I'm already in the process of constructing my hanging device for mission impossible... are you saying having a second person would be easier AND safer?

-Back on track... It is speed related as in the sound changes with my speed. I'm going to put some grease on my driveshaft around the carrier bearing and see if that changes anything at all, also planning on pulling a wheel to check my brake pads. If it is my wheel bearing, any tips to check it?

Later today Ill have someone drive my truck while i walk aside to listen to it.
jack up truck and try n wiggle tire from top n bottom
Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
Rad Red Prerunner

Jack up, and perform wiggle check. Got it. Thanks for the help so far everyone. I'll letcha guys know what happens when I get a chance to check it over
Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #19
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
jack up truck and try n wiggle tire from top n bottom
X2 you beat me to it!!! Little movement is ok but over 3/16 1/4 no,, barring is shot out
Old 05-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
mxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
mxnborder's Tacoma Gallery
hey mike i had a similar sound that would annoy the shit outta me going hand in hand with my rpm's right around 1500 is when it would be the worst.I found out my gasket was gone so i put a new one on it, same sound. then i took it apart and welded the exhaust and thought i had the last laugh but it still did it! turns out i finally just bought a new flowmaster and put it on and it stopped. must have been a loose screen thing in the muffler, what kind do you have?