Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

manual clutch skipping

Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
h2o's taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Kurtis
h2o's taco's Tacoma Gallery
manual clutch skipping

I have been having problems with my clutch not engaging at times. I have a steep driveway and it seems to happen more often when I park in my driveway. When I pull out the clutch after rolling out of my driveway the engine almost stalls and the whole vehicle shakes. I don't know if the fuel isn't getting to the injectors or if it is just a simple clutch adjustment that is needed. Has anyone else had this problem? I only have 19,000 miles on the truck. I had a 1994 Toyota before with a five speed. It had 50,000 before I sold it and I never adjusted the clutch nor did I have this issue with the vehicle shaking unless I stalled the vehicle.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My 08 Pre runner has been doing this since new. I have taken it to the dealer who told me everything is fine & it is because they can't use asbestos in the clutch linings anymore. They said once warmed up the shudder goes away. Mine seems to be worse on cold mornings, then goes away when warmed up. It's a real PITA when you are in a hurry & trying to shoot a gap from a stop sign.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
That's interesting. I've had a similar experience with my first gen (2001). Every vehicle I've ever had was manual, and I bought this truck used with 100k.

I have the same symptoms on level ground when cold. After it warms up, no problem. I was puzzled. It sucks trying to get across a busy street one block from my house in the morning.

So when did they stop putting asbestos in?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I was told environmental & health regulations stopped the use of asbestos in clutch & brake lining several years ago.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
vierzwanzig is on a distinguished road
vierzwanzig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
You may not be describing what is happening well enough, but by the sounds of that, it isn't an engagement problem, its a you-need-to-add-a-bit-more-gas and release the clutch more gently problem.
That was the first thing that came to my mind. I have had no slippage issues that were not driver related. (only 2500mi on my 5 speed.)
Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #6

I don't "think" it is operator error. I think charles08tacoma summed it up for me. It seems to only happen when the vehicle engine is cold. Primarily it happens in the morning or when I let it sit for a day or two.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
what kinda temps are you guys talking about? I live in so cal and took delivery of the truck in mild weather.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #8

Mine happens in the morning time when I first start it up. It doesn't matter what the temp is. I live in norcal so our temps are almost as nice as yours.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
hmm... maybe I need to put more miles through it?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The problem I usually have is from the drive by wire lag. Having a cable throttle on a manual trans eliminates this problem.
Try using the parking brake to hold you while working the clutch and skinny pedal.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
david55838 is on a distinguished road
david55838's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o's taco View Post
Mine happens in the morning time when I first start it up. It doesn't matter what the temp is. I live in norcal so our temps are almost as nice as yours.
My 1st Gen does the same thing - and I'm in Sacto too.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Brakes work fine with no asbestos in them why would a clutch be any different.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Ya that doesn't sound at all like your clutch is slipping. If it is dragging the motor down and almost stalling it, it sounds like you need a bit more gas. That or the tranny isn't going into the right gear somehow. Thats just how the enigne behaves if you try starting in 2nd (The ratio for second is a bit long in this truck for stats). You are putting it up and left to start right?