Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

F_ _ _ _ N TPMS Light?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
MTLTaco is on a distinguished road
MTLTaco's Tacoma Gallery
F_ _ _ _ N TPMS Light?

Light came on this morning when I started the truck. I haven't checked the tire pressure yet but all 4 don't look low at all. I know I don't have a sensor in the spare. Any idea why the light would be on? Thanks guys
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has triggered off the spare but you having an 09 are not suppose to have one in there. Maybe you do in CA? You have to drop the spare to find out. I would check your pressure & reset the system per the owner's manual. If that doesn't lose the light, drop the spare "just in case" you did end up with one there. Next it could be a bad sensor. Here is a helpful link
http://www.toyotatpms.com/
Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks can be deceiving. Check them when you have a chance.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah if you havent checked them then you need too. I know mine would come on even if it was 2-3 pounds off. Make sure after you check and refill them to the proper pressure to hit the reset button under the bottom of the steering wheel under the dash board.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently dealing with a TPMS light that will not go away. All of the tires appeared fine but when checked they were: 38, 33, 35, 35 and the spare was N/A. So, apparently the spare is dead and two of the tires are more than 3 psi different from each other. That's enough to set it off.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by himmie View Post
...two of the tires are more than 3 psi different from each other. That's enough to set it off.
Are you sure about that? it's common to set a front/rear pressure bias to help control over-steer. The bias could be as as much as 5 lbs, but that's pretty rare.

If true, that is just another form of suckage being visited upon the motoring public!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
Are you sure about that? it's common to set a front/rear pressure bias to help control over-steer. The bias could be as as much as 5 lbs, but that's pretty rare.

If true, that is just another form of suckage being visited upon the motoring public!
Thats why 05-07 rocks, dont like TPMS? unplug the stupid thing and be done with it
Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...08#post3031008
Old 05-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Been living with a TPMS light for a year now. Destroyed the valve stem on one of the sensors on a rock. Not worth it to me to buy new ones and paying to have them programmed.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLTaco View Post
Light came on this morning when I started the truck. I haven't checked the tire pressure yet but all 4 don't look low at all. I know I don't have a sensor in the spare. Any idea why the light would be on? Thanks guys
The light's on because you need to check your tire pressure.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
I disabled my TPMS light
Old 05-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Thats why 05-07 rocks, dont like TPMS? unplug the stupid thing and be done with it
IIRC, the 05's didnt have TPMS at all
Old 05-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #13
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
not on 07's up... if you unplug the tpms ecu the light stays on all the time. i think that only works on 06's but if anyone has done it on 07's and KNOWS it works, and how to find the tpms ecu, inquiring minds want to know!

a couple of of my wheel sensors corroded after winter and the other day when checking pressure, a core didn't spring back. it's not worth the 300 dollars for two sensors and reprogram so i took all four off the road wheels and put it them in a pressurized PVC pipe.

but one sensor (at least) is reporting it's defective, the light flashes and won't take a set. only thing left (since I don't believe the ecu unplug trick works) is put tape on the light...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not on 07's up... if you unplug the tpms ecu the light stays on all the time. i think that only works on 06's but if anyone has done it on 07's and KNOWS it works, and how to find the tpms ecu, inquiring minds want to know!

a couple of of my wheel sensors corroded after winter and the other day when checking pressure, a core didn't spring back. it's not worth the 300 dollars for two sensors and reprogram so i took all four off the road wheels and put it them in a pressurized PVC pipe.

but one sensor (at least) is reporting it's defective, the light flashes and won't take a set. only thing left (since I don't believe the ecu unplug trick works) is put tape on the light...
I've disabled the light on two 2008 Tacomas , did a quick right up with a few pics - if you search" Disabled TPMS on my 2008" , you'll see it , Good luck if you choose this route
Old 05-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama trd View Post
I've disabled the light on two 2008 Tacomas , did a quick right up with a few pics - if you search" Disabled TPMS on my 2008" , you'll see it , Good luck if you choose this route
Yah! found it! so pulling the blue wire high turns the light out... I wonder if putting a 1K current limit resistor instead of the fuse link would work still? that way I know there's no chance of burning out the gate that wants only 5 volts.

The current will be limited to just a few mA so its safe if the wire should contact ground... no need for the fuse link!

Don't know which is harder or riskier... this mod or the tape on light trick! Maybe this one's safer since I'm not messing with the instrument cluster... hmmm
Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #16
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yah! found it! so pulling the blue wire high turns the light out... I wonder if putting a 1K current limit resistor instead of the fuse link would work still? that way I know there's no chance of burning out the gate that wants only 5 volts.

The current will be limited to just a few mA so its safe if the wire should contact ground... no need for the fuse link!

Don't know which is harder or riskier... this mod or the tape on light trick! Maybe this one's safer since I'm not messing with the instrument cluster... hmmm
If your sensors are broken I would disconnect the whole thing and forget about it. If you want to put resistor that should work too.

That TPMS is crap anyway, too bad they don't give you choice when you buying truck. I would ask them to remove it and give me $1000 back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
IIRC, the 05's didnt have TPMS at all
I thought 09+ TPMS is tied to VSC so disconnecting it will make VSC Gods angry.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought 09+ TPMS is tied to VSC so disconnecting it will make VSC Gods angry.
not sure, but i dont see why it would be. two different systems for two different uses.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #18
What could go wrong?
Biff is a name known to allBiff is a name known to allBiff is a name known to allBiff is a name known to allBiff is a name known to allBiff is a name known to all

Biff's Tacoma Gallery
Couldn't you just pull the LED bulb out of the dash that lights up the TPMS?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
coolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of light

coolreed's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS Light

1. Be sure all your tires are inflated properly and identically.

2. Reset your TPMS monitoring circuit by pressing the reset button under the dash by the steering wheel. You must hold the button for a few seconds. This will reset the monitoring circuit to the current air pressure.

If that does not solve your problem you may have a bad sensor.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #20
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
What pressure is considered to be low by the TPMS system?