1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NO power then full power - ???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MountainEarth, May 5, 2011.

1. May 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Well my beautiful, 14-month old, problem free baby is not longer problem free.

Got in this morning, turned the key and zero - zip - nada. No Power. Nothing even lit up. No dash lights. No immobilizer light. No stereo or Ultra-Gauge. Nothing. It was like the battery was totally dead. I got a blip out of the starter .. like there was a little residual energy .. but that's it.

Pulled the key out, put it back in ... same thing. So frustrated and wondering how I was going to make my appointment, I sat there for a few seconds with the key in accessory position and all of a sudden, full power returned. Stereo turned on, immobilizer blinked, Ultra-Gauge turned on (and indicated I had a fully charged battery).

But the clock indicates that ALL power had been cut to the vehicle for some time, because it's off by hours, and all stereo controls are reset.

So WTF TW? What would make it seem like the battery was totally dead, and then all of a sudden on it's own accord restore full power?

2. May 5, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm no mechanic but first thing I would check would be that the batter cables are connected tight to the battery posts. Other then that, I have no clue.

3. May 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    This and then check fuse boxes to make sure they are all tight. And plugs under the glove box and wires that go into the fuse box.

4. May 5, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Well I mentioned the starter because I thought I heard something. I might not have. It was very quick. The bigger issue is it acted like the battery was totally dead. And then all of a sudden, just sitting there with the key in the ignition at ACC, all of a sudden full power restored and the Ultra-Gauge indicated a full battery.
    • It definitely wasn't the immobilizer .. it was dead too.
    • It definitely wasn't the ignition .. there was zero power to everything at all key positions.
    • Battery cables are tight.
    And it only happened once this morning (hadn't driven the truck for 36 hours if that helps). Been fine the next 5 starts.

I called the dealer, and they couldn't tell me a thing other than "bring it in and we'll try to recreate the problem". Of course, since the truck appeared totally without power for hours (again the clock is way off and the stereo reset) there are no trouble codes stored either. I have this feeling Toyota will have no idea what to do. So I reach out to the community.

5. May 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Clean the battery terminals/cables.

sounds like a corrosion problem

6. May 5, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Just dealt with the exact same symptom on my daughter's Camry. The battery cables and connections were nice and shiny. My volt meter showed 12.6 volts which is 90% charged. I grabbed the positive cable and it just lifted right off the battery post. I don't know why it worked itself off but I just loosened the clamp and put it on tight again. The car started and the charging voltage was 14.1. Perfect.

Why are battery post tapered up instead of down? Down would help prevent the cable from coming off.

7. May 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    After you have tried all of this stuff. Take it to the dealer.

8. May 5, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    UPDATE - I'm an idiot. I had checked under the hood and all seemed fine with the battery. Needed to check my cabin air filter, so I pulled the glovebox and passenger kick panel and checked all harnesses for tightness.

Opened the hood back up to check the fuse box, only this time I actually grabbed the negative battery cable and sure enough, as knayrb found with his daughter's Camry, it slipped right off. Turns out I had the truck in at the dealer, and they took the negative cable off and then only hand tightened the nut when they put it back on. But that was a month ago! Didn't cause a problem until today. Though the cable was seated, because it was such a loose connection, there must have been a thin veneer of corrosion forming.

9. May 5, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Sounds about right. Had a similar problem with my Matrix about a year ago. Out of the blue leaving work one day, car wouldn't start. No turnover, no dash lights, no nothing. Battery cables were fine. Opened the fuse box and gave 'em all some good pressure...a couple of them seated themselves a bit when I did...car started right up, no problem since.

Normally, something like this out of nowhere is a loose something-or-other. Electrical components taking a shit tend to show spotty operation first (weak starts, flickering lights, low voltage, sensitivity to vibration, etc.) before going out.

10. May 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    vtek kicked it yo!

Products Discussed in