1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need HID equipment advise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by east, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    east

east [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.E. N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Stock 4x4
    I have been searching on the internet for a few months looking for HID options for my truck and was wondering if this forum had any advise ? I am looking for the best quality for the money and I know that there is some of the stuff to stay away from. Some kits require mods to the existing headlights where you have to take the fitxture apart and install projectors. I have heard Sylvania and some other brands are good.

What about the lo / hi beam vs. just the low beam ? I understand when you go up in K temp you loose luminosity so I am thinking about getting either the 4300 k 0r 5000 k .

I am sure that people on here have tried all the different options and will have some answers to my concerns. I am open to trying to mod my headlights but would get a spare set so if anything went wrong my truck would not be down.

My initial thoughts are to avoid the cheaper ones since I have heard that a lot of people have had problems with them.

Has anyone had issues with their headlights fogging up or getting water in them after they were modified ?

I like to research every project I consider and get all the info before committing myself. I think the HID mod would greatly improve the functionality of my truck. I have the 2006 Access cab, 4x4, with the SR5 pkg 2.

Thank you,

Eric

2. May 6, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gr...buy-round-22-ends-05-17-11-a.html#post3124871
    Here's a good deal on a great HID kit. They're plug and play so no modification to your existing wiring is required. You'll get mixed feelings on throwing an HID kit into the stock housing since our stock reflectors aren't made for HID lights.
    As far as color, 4300k supposedly has the best light output. I have a 5000k kit in my bike and it is just a little blue, not bad though. If I had to buy it again, I think I may have gone 4300k.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/84308-lighting-faq-please-read-before-posting.html
    Read this, it's got some good info about lighting because it sounds like you have more questions than just what HID kit is good.
    People have had issues with their lights fogging or leaking after modifying them however, if they're done correctly you will not have any problems. "Modification" is a very open ended term, what do you want to do with your lights? The HID kit above is a quick swap, just mount the ballasts, plug everything in and you're good to go. You can also do a full retrofit which requires you to rip apart your headlights and mount projectors in them. This is probably the best upgrade you can make but it is fairly expensive.

3. May 6, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    happyb

happyb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    on a beach in hawaii
    Vehicle:
    to my taste
    making a list
    i just pulled trigger on an HID retrofit kit from theretrofitsource for my headlights and HIDs from slimcubby for my fogs. hopefully the come in next week so i can have a project to work on. i also going to get an extra set of headlights just in case.

4. May 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    east

east [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.E. N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Stock 4x4
    Thank you for all the input. Please let me know how your install goes, I am still trying to decide what I want to do and which ones I want to go with, I will probably go with the 4300 k or 6000 k.

Eric

5. Jul 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    TTWayno

TTWayno Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Central Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access TRD
    Hey guys, I noticed,on this thread, that happy purchased the kit from Sharphid.com. Curious to how it worked out. Seems pretty inexpensive at around $49.00.

6. Jul 31, 2011 at 12:36 AM
    Bozack

Bozack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rube
    Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC
    I went with the white 5000k Raptors from DDM Tuning. Shipping was fast, the install was simple, and they worked great!
    DSC_3700_4283dd3f7779837a25ca0dcc96e2ce247128a5d3.jpg

DSC_3700.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top