Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Where to get this bushing...

Old 05-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
762x51taco is on a distinguished road
762x51taco's Tacoma Gallery
Where to get this bushing...

I bought this truck with a ULK lift already on it, and today I notice that the (tie rod??) bushing is shot due to an extreme angle. Do I need to replace this, and if so where do I find it?

Can I bust the lock nut and turn the TR to make the angle less extreme without an ill effects? The drive side aint too bad, but the passenger side is pretty messed up. Thanks

Driver

Passenger

Old 05-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
No, you need new tie rod ends and then an alignment, Im in the same boat
Old 05-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Probably better off replacing the whole tie rod end.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Sounds good, ill search for a good brand. Does this need to happen ASAP or can I wait it out a bit?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
The longer you wait the worse it'll get. TRE's aren't to expensive.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762x51taco View Post
Sounds good, ill search for a good brand. Does this need to happen ASAP or can I wait it out a bit?

Jack up the front of the truck enough to get the tires off the ground. Then while facing the tire put your hands at 9 o'clock and 4 o'clock and wiggle the tire left and right. If there is play, moves easily before pushing the other tire, then yes replace them. When you get alot of play the tie-rod can separate from the "cup" it's in and fall out, scary when on the highway. Once they are both replaced get an alignment ASAP.

A good brand is MOOG which is an aftermarket brand sold at many stores.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Will I need just the outer, or will/should I do the inner as well? If its just the outer I assume I just take the thread count, disconnect, reinstall new one to the old thread count and I should be GTG?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
You should be good with just the outer, mark the position on the threads before removing it for reference when installin the new one.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Perfect, thanks for the help, will order tonight.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #11
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762x51taco View Post
The boot's only use is to keep dirt out of the joint and the factory grease in. It has nothing to do with actual functioning of the actual tie rod. So being torn isn't itself a problem.

I've driven thousands of miles with bad tie rod end boots... the TRE never got so loose as to be a problem. If you off road a lot yours will prolly go faster, but you don't have to hop on it until you notice looseness.