Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why Tacoma Instead of Full Size

Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #21
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason why I went with a Tacoma was because of the availability of a 6 speed manual transmission. If there was a Tundra with a manual tranny, I would have gone with that in a hearbeat.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #22
I don't want a large farva!
chiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nice

chiefridr's Tacoma Gallery
I don't own a construction or landscaping company, so why the hell would I want a big truck like a Tundra for? I rent a townhouse, live by myself, and bust bad guys for a living.

Besides, they're a pain in the ass to park!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #23
Tarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Deputy Sheriff
Name: Jon
Tarheelz2350's Tacoma Gallery
I had an 06 D-Cab Tundra and it was too big. Bought a Mustang GT to get something smaller and a whole lot more fun to drive. Got over my early mid-life crisis and bought my Tacoma. The full size are just too big and like previous posts have said. They're not great performers off road and I don't run a landscaping or construction business. The size is perfect for me and when my wife and I have kids I've got the room for them to grow.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #24
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Like others have said reliability. I have been driving these trucks since 1989 and really have had no major problems. If anything minor cosmetic things and normal wear and tear. That 1st little 4 banger 5 speed I bought in 1989 for $7000.00 out the door was one tough little tuck. That pretty much sold me on the Toyota brand.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #25
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
As a home owner I occasionally need to bring home a big box from the big box store so an El Camino would have probably served me as well. I did need something that can stand up to a daily commute and my 4 cylinder Tacoma does that very well (at 25 MPG).
Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #26
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
That silverado is going to be a piece of junk and will start falling apart at 90k miles.

Tacoma owners call 90k "broken in"
Old 05-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #27
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidellkid View Post
I am in the market for a new truck. With the Full size trucks getting as good or better mpg as the Tacoma what is the value in getting a Tacoma?

I think lower decpreciation of the Tacoma may be its best selling point these days but I can't find any stats or numbers that prove that it has a higher resale value after five years or so. Does anyone have a link to that type of information?

Thanks!
For me:
1. Tundra is the only full size truck I would consider. I don't buy Ford, GM, etc. until they improve their quality more.
2. Tundra is too big (I want to keep my truck in my garage) and too expensive.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #28
radioactivemint is on a distinguished road
Name: John
radioactivemint's Tacoma Gallery
Since I plan on keeping my truck for as long as it will last, resale value wasn't a very big deciding factor for me. I bought the Tacoma because of it's track record of reliability and the fact that it is small and highly capable and perfect for exploring the back roads in the mountains around me. It was also the only compact/midsize truck that would let me get a 4x4 without having to move up to an access cab or V6 (Chevy was out of the picture, based on past experiences with other GM vehicles). I must say, looks played a part in my decision too
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't need a full size truck. I like the tacoma's size. it's a good all around vehicle. I use mine as my daily driver. I'm getting around 18mpg and my truck hardly ever see's the highway. I use it to haul my quad and anything from lowes to grocery's! It is awesome offroad and in inclement weather. After 5 years of owning it. There still isn't another truck i would trade it for!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #30
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, the only reason why one should have a full size truck is if they NEED a full size truck. I.e., regularly towing or hauling super heavy loads, have a need for a ton of bed space, etc. Other than those reasons, my question for you would be "Why full size instread of Tacoma?"

Tacomas park way more easily, are more maneuverable in tight places, are more fun to drive, have better visibility/fewer blind spots, and allow the driver to have better road awareness than most full size trucks. Full size trucks are significantly more cumbersome.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #31
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This ^^ Most of the Full size trucks focus on the Hwy mpg. Though they may claim 15 or whatever in the city, the folks I know get around 10 to 12 city, driving like grandmas. Driving normally, I get between 17, and 19 in the city, and have seen 23 to 24 hwy on my Ultra Gauge.
This. I rented a full size dodge V8 truck when mine was getting some body work done. I got about 16-17 with my manual and the dodge was about 12 mpg for the same commute (30% more gas).

A full sized diesel would probably be about the same MPG but the price difference between a Tacoma and a full size diesel is going to be much greater. If I needed a larger truck, I would buy a diesel. I wouldn't buy full sized unless I needed it for work or heavy towing.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #32
trufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the rough

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 2 Tundras(00 & 07). I love the Tacoma ('11 DCSB) feels right to me. Right amount of space- interior, and bed. I don't 4x4 just the occasional trip down to the TX coast for fishing!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #33
Tacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant future
Name: Terry
Tacozoid's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO. Because they drive like a car and work like a truck.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #34
cartage1 will become famous soon enoughcartage1 will become famous soon enough
cartage1's Tacoma Gallery
Put your foot to the floor with the 4 liter and it has a decent punch for a sled..
Keep your foot out of it, and MPGs are good.
Off road prowess very good.
Fits in the garage.
Resale / value position is excellent.
Nimble and easy enough for the wifey to drive
Cheaper than the Tundra

I like the Tundras, did NOT like the F150 I had, but after an 06 TRD OR AC, now have an 11 TRD OR AC, and am glad to have it...

Have fun, and enjoy the process of figuring out what is best for you.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #35
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
When I tow my camper I get better mileage then a full size empty. I looked at used Tacoma's and they were only slightly cheaper then a new one try that with a full size they take a $10,000 hit the first year.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #36
NamBam has a spectacular aura aboutNamBam has a spectacular aura about

NamBam's Tacoma Gallery
What do you need for you truck? Hauling a bigger boats, trailers, atvs, lumber regularly. or do you just need occasionally haul smaller things and have a bed to throw stuff in. All depends on your needs or what you would rather drive daily.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #37
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Does anyone here have real-world city gas milage for the new full-size trucks? Highway milage can be grossly inflated by a simple tall 6th gear.
Try this.

http://fueleconomy.gov/
Old 05-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #38
TheGreekIndian is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
TheGreekIndian's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you that had a full-size and now own a Tacoma, do you find it easier to park it? My new Silveado Crew Cab short box is a pain in the ass to park, but I see the Tacoma DC SB is the same length as my current Silverado. So would parking continue to be a PITA?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #39
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreekIndian View Post
For those of you that had a full-size and now own a Tacoma, do you find it easier to park it? My new Silveado Crew Cab short box is a pain in the ass to park, but I see the Tacoma DC SB is the same length as my current Silverado. So would parking continue to be a PITA?
I came from a Dodge Ram quad cab sb to a Dc and went with the sb since the lb was just as long as my Ram. And yes, it is definitely easier to park. I have made it into spaces I would have never even considered trying in the Ram. I don't why a sb dc Taco is as long as a Silverado though?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #40
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a 1992 toyota pickup to full size dodge ram 2500 cummins turbo diesel, but didnt really need the diesel and his maintenance expense, so i went back with a tacoma. If i were to have another full-size, it would only be a diesel, no gas full-size IMO. The diesel was a blast to drive, extremely fast, and tons of room. averaged around 18 mpg in the city, and averaged 22-23 MPG on the HWY multiple times.
1992 Toyota Pickup

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins turbo diesel

2005 tacoma Access Cab