Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why Tacoma Instead of Full Size

Old 05-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
slidellkid is on a distinguished road
slidellkid's Tacoma Gallery
Why Tacoma Instead of Full Size

I am in the market for a new truck. With the Full size trucks getting as good or better mpg as the Tacoma what is the value in getting a Tacoma?

I think lower decpreciation of the Tacoma may be its best selling point these days but I can't find any stats or numbers that prove that it has a higher resale value after five years or so. Does anyone have a link to that type of information?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The Tacoma is reliable, fun to drive, and holds it's value. I've more than doubled my trucks mileage in the time that I've had it (went from 27K to 78K), and was recently offered on trade in only $3K less than what I paid for the truck. I bought it in 2007.

The Tacoma is also a perfect fit for me being 230lbs and 6"3. I love the cabin of my truck.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I didn't and still don't need a full size. I also didn't want the full size MPG. Lastly I offroad sometimes and a full size is no good for that.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
67gtonut has a spectacular aura about67gtonut has a spectacular aura about

Name: Troy
67gtonut's Tacoma Gallery
I just got rid of my 2000 Silverado 4x4.... it had 166K miles on it.... I loved that truck. But the cost of a new Full-Size is just out of my reach at this time, and I dont need to tow anything big for now. So I went back to a Tacoma ( had a 95 Taco before the Chevy)....

I forgot how much fun it is to drive a small truck....

added bonus... went from 13mpg to 18+mpg.....
Old 05-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Im kinda a big deal
JHAirForce05 is a glorious beacon of lightJHAirForce05 is a glorious beacon of lightJHAirForce05 is a glorious beacon of lightJHAirForce05 is a glorious beacon of lightJHAirForce05 is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: 2T251*Air Transportation*437th APS
Name: Justin
JHAirForce05's Tacoma Gallery
I couldnt afford the extra 15 grand for tundra. Def glad i got the tacoma now anyways. I think its a lot more fun
Old 05-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Size for off-road trail use.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert 2016
BBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura aboutBBY2KS2K has a spectacular aura about

Navy: ET2/SS (Submarine Electronics Tech) 1996-2005
Name: Jason
BBY2KS2K's Tacoma Gallery
Full size trucks are clumsy. The Tacoma, as far as trucks go, is easy to drive. I must admit, I'm not a truck guy. I'd rather have an STi Impreza, IS350 or a TL, but they aren't much good for towing trailers or trips to Lowe's.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
All depends on what you're using the truck for. The Tacoma fits my needs well. Pulls my 18' boat and it dominates in the snow. Didn't have a real need for a full size. Next truck may be. But when I got the Taco all the full sizers I wanted would have been around 6k more and I couldn't really swing that at the time. This truck has done everything I've needed it to.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Same as what others have said... I just didnt have a need for a full size. Take a look at what you'll be using the truck for, and see what fits your needs best. Purchasing a vehicle based on resale is never a good idea imo anyway.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I traded from a Hemi Ram and so far have gained about 5 mpgs. I know the new F150's get as good mpg's or so claimed but never made it to look at them. Mostly for me wanted something smaller, better mpg's and a 4x4. The reliability and value of the Tacoma was a big factor also. Plus I have wanted one of these trucks for a long time. I know a lot of the full size you can get for the price of the Tacoma pending what you are looking for, but with the newer full size getting better mpg's than in the past, it seemed to me that they were not coming off the price like they had/did in the past. Hell, I paid quite a bit less for my Ram when new than the Taco but I know the Taco will hold it's value way better and I didn't need the big truck, couldn't park in the garage was another reason, and dont tow much. IMO it depends on what you want. If you need the bigger truck then so be it. I didn't and it is much easier to park. I do miss the big truck sometimes and others I'm glad I have the Yota.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone here have real-world city gas milage for the new full-size trucks? Highway milage can be grossly inflated by a simple tall 6th gear.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
bcb97 is on a distinguished road
bcb97's Tacoma Gallery
Don't be misled by the MPG's stated by the new full size trucks. I just traded my 08 Silverado for a Tacoma and in my silverado, I never got better than 16 MPG's and that was barely pushing down on the pedal. The only way they can show 20 MPG's is with low profile tires and absolutely no weight in the truck. Try going offroad with low profile tires. But like others stated, its all about what you need a truck for. I didn't need a full size and the double cab Tacoma fits my lifestyle perfectly.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Does anyone here have real-world city gas milage for the new full-size trucks? Highway milage can be grossly inflated by a simple tall 6th gear.
Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb97 View Post
Don't be misled by the MPG's stated by the new full size trucks. I just traded my 08 Silverado for a Tacoma and in my silverado, I never got better than 16 MPG's and that was barely pushing down on the pedal. The only way they can show 20 MPG's is with low profile tires and absolutely no weight in the truck. Try going offroad with low profile tires. But like others stated, its all about what you need a truck for. I didn't need a full size and the double cab Tacoma fits my lifestyle perfectly.
This ^^ Most of the Full size trucks focus on the Hwy mpg. Though they may claim 15 or whatever in the city, the folks I know get around 10 to 12 city, driving like grandmas. Driving normally, I get between 17, and 19 in the city, and have seen 23 to 24 hwy on my Ultra Gauge.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
TheGreekIndian is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
TheGreekIndian's Tacoma Gallery
I'm actually going to go from a Silverado to a Tacoma. Silverado is nice and roomy, but with the 5.3L boring as shit to drive. It is very bulky and a pain the ass in traffic/parking. I get a solid 15 mpg city and 18 mpg hwy going 70 mph. EPA estimates 21 MPG but thats for a extended cab, no bells and whistles 5.3L with 3.08 gears. My silverado is smooth driving and looks awesome, but still have yet to use it for its purpose. BTW, the sticker on it is 39,170 - I paid 30k brand new. So with rebates, yes they are like the same price as a tacoma. Silverado has a shit load more "luxury" options than a Tacoma can even get installed.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i have no need for a full size truck, i dont use it for work. just to haul little things like wood, mulch, dirt, my 3 wheeler and to occasionally go to the dump or tow a trailer. the DCSB is a ton more versatile that an SUV so it was a no brainer. i wanted to be able to fit 4 people and have something for when i had kids. but nothing too big, and the resale values are great. i have had mine almost 3 years and if i sold it i would prob only lose like 3k .most trucks and suvs lose 5k+ leaving the lot
Old 05-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
bronkin is on a distinguished road

Army: 3rd Battalion, 34th Armor
bronkin's Tacoma Gallery
I like both the easy parking and maneuverability of the Tacoma plus the mileage. I just had a buddy tow a 5x8 utility trailer with his Ultra Classic on it and he only got about 10 mpg from Miami to North Carolina. While I get less mpg while towing than when not towing, I'm still far above his real world mileage.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
because.....it just feels right
Old 05-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #18
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
i dont need to compensate.
X2 , I have no need or want for a full-size truck. And there is a huge difference in mpg's being that I opted for a reg cab 4x2 4 cyl!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #19
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
  1. Even an F150 with similar features (DC, 4x4, etc.) was $5,000 more at least. Tundras with similar features are $$$ more.
  2. I don't like driving big trucks. I came from a Mustang I could tuck in anywhere, and I barely park the Tacoma well. I put the backup camera to good use.
  3. The Tacoma just barely fits in the garage. An F150 would not have. As it is, my wife and I can both park in the garage and are able to avoid summer head, winter freeze, hail, snow, ice, etc.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #20
LARGE Member
BLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bryce
BLUVVV's Tacoma Gallery
I went from this:

To this:

Back to one of these!

Full-size was nice a roomy, but so boring to drive! No balls, drove like a boat, couldn't touch dirt because of clearance + it was about $95 a week in gas for me in the 5.3L! now its about $65
Attached Thumbnails
Why Tacoma Instead of Full Size-dscn0254.jpg   Why Tacoma Instead of Full Size-dscn0173.jpg   Why Tacoma Instead of Full Size-dscn0190.jpg