Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Truck To Dos - Advice please

Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
New Truck To Dos - Advice please

I'm buying a 2009 DC LB 4x4 w/ Sport Package in a couple days. I'll post some pics and properly intoduce myself at that time. This is my first ever new vechicle, so excited!!!

What does everyone think are the most important things to do for a brand new Tacoma? I know mods, but I'm talking preventive maintance items that will help me keep the truck looking and running good 200,000+++

Here's some things I'm going to do so far:

Oil change at 1k-2k to clean out metal particles (I'll switch to Mobile 1)
Good wash and wax, problably use Klasse AIO & Klasse Sealant Glaze
Spray some sort of fabric protector. Any ideas?
Maybe underspray, but I've heard bad stories. Thoughts, advice?
New floor mats. Weathertech or Huskys. Thoughts?

Please throw in any mods that you think will add to the life of the truck.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Maintenance sounds good. Although, I rarely did much of anything to my corolla and I just realized my next oil change will be at 198,000 miles.

Just do what you have listed above, and have fun with it!

If you offroad, then body armor mods would make it last longer in that you're preventing damage. More lights could be used the same way too I suppose if you use them to avoid obstacles better at night.

Other wise, just read the thread in my sig.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
Agree with everything posted, especially lighting. Had mine a number of years before getting mod crazy.
I would go also with some sort of bed matt, the beds mar easy, this way you are covered if you carry items.
+1! Forgot about the mat! Protects the bed from scratches, and keeps things from sliding around or out of the bed!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats, Sounds like a good start. If keeping 200K, in snow country, I would undercoat at some time in the future if you low on dough right now (just look at my pics, though its worse here). If you decide to do it now, forget the overpriced dealer, local shops do it much cheaper if you dont want to do it yourself. Enjoy
Old 10-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
hashemg has a spectacular aura abouthashemg has a spectacular aura about

hashemg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
+1! Forgot about the mat! Protects the bed from scratches, and keeps things from sliding around or out of the bed!

Are you Kidding me......Its a Truck........Let him use it like one.

a bed mat is a good idea cuz stuff slides around like its on an ice rink.......but not to prevent scratches...please
Old 10-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
geerts016
geerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nice

geerts016's Tacoma Gallery
clear bra, that will save you from so many rock chips it isn't even funny. i would never drive a brand new car with out one.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Speaking of "out of the bed" was hauling a gritter I took while hunting up a hill on the farm. Got to the top and onto the lane about two miles. Stopped to close the gate and decided to admire what I had taken. It was gone , slid right out of the bed. Needless to say the tail gate was down, so I head down to the house, and got my hunting buddy to help. I was not about to lift that up again myself.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Thanks Everyone,

What bed mats do you recommend?
Fabric Protector?

Demoncleaner - Is your truck undercoated? If so, details would help.

thanks,
Ed
Old 10-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
Thanks Everyone,

What bed mats do you recommend?
Fabric Protector?

Demoncleaner - Is your truck undercoated? If so, details would help.

thanks,
Ed
Undercoating is my fall project before winter hits. Will do myself on father-in-law's lift and probably use Eastwood's rust encaplusator.

Most guys like the Toyota mat. I just used an old horse stall mat that somebody had and wanted to get rid of, cut to fit the truck bed. Much stronger than other mats and very heavy rubber. Most Agway, Tractor supply places sell themfor around $45.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #11

Update - Got the truck undercoated at dealership w/ rust preventer for $300. Didn't think it was to bad of a deal.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
Preventive Maintenance

All of the above, but certainly SeatCovers & FloorMats.