1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Truck To Dos - Advice please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spaghettiedy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Oct 2, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    I'm buying a 2009 DC LB 4x4 w/ Sport Package in a couple days. I'll post some pics and properly intoduce myself at that time. This is my first ever new vechicle, so excited!!! :D

What does everyone think are the most important things to do for a brand new Tacoma? I know mods, but I'm talking preventive maintance items that will help me keep the truck looking and running good 200,000+++

Here's some things I'm going to do so far:

Oil change at 1k-2k to clean out metal particles (I'll switch to Mobile 1)
    Good wash and wax, problably use Klasse AIO & Klasse Sealant Glaze
    Spray some sort of fabric protector. Any ideas?
    Maybe underspray, but I've heard bad stories. Thoughts, advice?
    New floor mats. Weathertech or Huskys. Thoughts?

Please throw in any mods that you think will add to the life of the truck.

Thanks,
    Ed

2. Oct 2, 2008 at 12:01 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Maintenance sounds good. Although, I rarely did much of anything to my corolla and I just realized my next oil change will be at 198,000 miles. :D

Just do what you have listed above, and have fun with it!

If you offroad, then body armor mods would make it last longer in that you're preventing damage. More lights could be used the same way too I suppose if you use them to avoid obstacles better at night.

Other wise, just read the thread in my sig. :thumbsup:

3. Oct 2, 2008 at 12:32 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Agree with everything posted, especially lighting. Had mine a number of years before getting mod crazy.
    I would go also with some sort of bed matt, the beds mar easy, this way you are covered if you carry items.

4. Oct 2, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    +1! Forgot about the mat! Protects the bed from scratches, and keeps things from sliding around or out of the bed!

5. Oct 2, 2008 at 12:44 PM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Congrats, Sounds like a good start. If keeping 200K, in snow country, I would undercoat at some time in the future if you low on dough right now (just look at my pics, though its worse here). If you decide to do it now, forget the overpriced dealer, local shops do it much cheaper if you dont want to do it yourself. Enjoy

6. Oct 2, 2008 at 12:47 PM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.

Are you Kidding me......Its a Truck........Let him use it like one.

a bed mat is a good idea cuz stuff slides around like its on an ice rink.......but not to prevent scratches...please

7. Oct 2, 2008 at 12:49 PM
    geerts016

geerts016 geerts016

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SR5 4x4
    alpine 9884 deck, auxilary LED backup lights, alpine 6x9's, alpine 6's, rockford p1000 amp, two rockford p2 10" subs, seat heaters, deezee tool box painted BSP, aero 2525 exhaust, halo projector headlights, LED light strip in hood scoop, black mesh grill, tinted taillights, window visors
    clear bra, that will save you from so many rock chips it isn't even funny. i would never drive a brand new car with out one.

8. Oct 2, 2008 at 12:55 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Speaking of "out of the bed" was hauling a gritter I took while hunting up a hill on the farm. Got to the top and onto the lane about two miles. Stopped to close the gate and decided to admire what I had taken. It was gone :eek:, slid right out of the bed. Needless to say the tail gate was down, so I head down to the house, and got my hunting buddy to help. I was not about to lift that up again myself.:eek:

9. Oct 2, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    spaghettiedy

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Everyone,

What bed mats do you recommend?
    Fabric Protector?

Demoncleaner - Is your truck undercoated? If so, details would help.

thanks,
    Ed

10. Oct 2, 2008 at 2:06 PM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Undercoating is my fall project before winter hits. Will do myself on father-in-law's lift and probably use Eastwood's rust encaplusator.

Most guys like the Toyota mat. I just used an old horse stall mat that somebody had and wanted to get rid of, cut to fit the truck bed. Much stronger than other mats and very heavy rubber. Most Agway, Tractor supply places sell themfor around $45.

11. Oct 7, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    spaghettiedy

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Update - Got the truck undercoated at dealership w/ rust preventer for $300. Didn't think it was to bad of a deal.

12. Oct 8, 2008 at 3:24 PM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    All of the above, but certainly SeatCovers & FloorMats.

Products Discussed in

To Top