1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone used Eastwood rust converter/rust encapsulator?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hamNswiss on rye, May 10, 2011.

1. Aug 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Not sure about others, but I have red coilovers, and they were black as of a few days ago. Had covered them before the winter with fluid film, I got under there with a bucket of simple green to clean them up.

2. Aug 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It areas that did not see direct road spray, I agree with Chadderkdawg, it collects road grime. I sprayed some spots on the inside of my tailgate and they are black and if you touch them, you'll need to wash your hands because it comes off and is oily to the touch. The areas I sprayed under the truck, in the line of road spray, all got washed off. Completely gone, not a trace of the stuff left. Unbothered, the stuff seems to do well and last a long time. I sprayed a piece of black iron propane line that protrudes from my house and connects to the bottle outside and it's still oily, just like I applied it and it's been well over a year now. I think the annual application might be a little under-exaggerated. If you apply it once right before winter, it might last through winter.

3. Aug 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights

I wouldn't recommend Eastwood's HD Anti-Rust. It is paraffin wax dissolved in a solvent carrier, and in reading the can it is for concealed areas like inside of rocker panels or fenders.

I got about a third of the truck done with it, from the rear bumper to beginning of the bed. Like spray paint, it dries to a film, and if the surface you are spraying isn't clean, it will flake off.

I've decided for the other two thirds to scrape any scale (mostly done now), clean with Purple Power and a pressure washer and any rust areas will be treated with Rust Bullet. Since that is gray, I'll top it off with Rustoleum black and just treat the entire frame with Fluid Film. I don't really care about it collecting dust. I'll reapply every year mid Autumn, and I'll inspect every April.

I already rinse with hose pressure all of the frame and underside, and especially those front cab mounts. That design is terrible, everything kicked up by the front wheels finds its' way in there.

4. Aug 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Thanks for the heads up on the HD Anti-Rust.

I did some reading on the Rust Bullet. Seems like a pretty good product. Now I'm thinking of doing something similar to what you have planned. Wire brush, clean, apply rust bullet 2 coats, some sort of black top coat and finally Fluid Film.

You can use any top coat with Rust Bullet. They say topcoat is not needed however, as Rust Bullet is UV resistant, but since it is silver, I want something to cover it. The Black Shell topcoat they also sell is gloss, so I will look into something else. (satin or flat)

Which size can would you get to do the frame (the parts you can get to, under cab and bed), hitch and a skid plate on our trucks?

5. Aug 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
  6. Aug 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    I ordered the quart of Rust Bullet automotive. I plan on hitting the frame mostly, since that is a non replaceable part (I can replace the trailer hitch and skids if needed by removing bolts) After 8 years, my skid plates are still pretty rust free. I will however, Fluid Film the daylights out of the frame, skids, trailer hitch though.

I did see that Eastwood Internal Frame stuff, and that looks great for a resto. I'm just planning on getting the extension wand and Fluid Filming in the boxed section. I'm sure you noticed, all these specialty coatings are pretty expensive. I'm trying to keep a reasonable limit on this, although I'm pretty disappointed that I even have to do this at all because some a-hole at Dana (frame manufacturer) wanted to save on either VOC's or mil thickness on the factory frame paint.

7. Aug 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Pugga, Chadderkdawg and Agent Smith for all the help.

I hear you about this not being a regular maintenance, but what can you do if you want to keep your truck for years to come. I'm planning to have this truck for 10+ years, and while my frame is not too bad at all compared to you guys in NE states, I feel I should do something now before it gets out of hand. :eek:

This project will cost me up to $300, so that kind of sucks, but once again IF it proves effective and extends the life of the truck significantly, than I'm ok with that. I'll do this once only though. (touch up as needed and fluid film application is fine) If I need to spend a whole weekend under the truck in a few years AGAIN, I'll just trade it in at that point for something else. Mine is not too bad yet, some surface rust here and there, but still appears worse than most other trucks of the same age in my area.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  8. Jun 29, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    volcomstone1223

volcomstone1223 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Lake Havasu City
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco LSupreme
    Solo DMZ
    so anyone finally do their frame yet? looking to order some rust encapsulator and possibly the chassis black paint but want to see how its holding up on some tacomas

9. Oct 7, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    seabear31

seabear31 Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    none yet
    I have used a similar product called Corroseal, available online from Home Depot and others. I've seen it used on steel pontoons in salt water.

10. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    PoweredBySoy

PoweredBySoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    I just ordered a spraycan of the Eastwood Encapsulator. My 2013 is just starting to show signs of surface rust - nothing too advanced at all - and from all the reading I've done this product seemed like the best fit, and has a fair number of good reviews.

I considered the Blackstar rust converter, but that seems more for advanced cases, and it doesn't work on painted areas. Plus it's expensive as hell.

Rust Bullet sounds like it would work great too, but they didn't offer it in a spraycan. I wanted something I could spray into grooves and such.

I'll put it on in the next few weeks, and then maybe in a year or two I'll stop back with a review.

11. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    I did Rust Bullet, but yes, had to brush it on. Make sure to apply Fluid Film or similar product annually after you are done.

12. Mar 21, 2018 at 11:29 AM
    Arrowshot

Arrowshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4X4
    A Crap Load
    Go with Eastwood. It is the best. Have used it for years to restore trucks and on my Tacoma.

PoweredBySoy and Pugga[QUOTED] like this.
  13. May 14, 2018 at 8:22 AM
    PoweredBySoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    Well, I finally sprayed my frame and sliders last week. I washed the areas with Simple Green and a wire brush, then hosed it off and let dry.

The sliders had a failing powdercoat job where it had completely rusted off in a few spots, and then surface rust starting to show on 60% of them.

The frame wasn't terrible yet. Just sprayed some areas where surface rust was showing. Mainly the areas where we had welded the sliders on, and then the shackle and shock mounts. Also the front of the diff, which was 80% light surface rust.

I've used a variety of spray paints in my day, and I will say this Eastwood stuff seems semi-professional. It sprayed on very even and smooth. Really nice stuff. But I would recommend a face mask. I didn't wear one the first time and my sinuses burned for a few hours after.

We'll see how well it holds up though. I'll report back later this year.

14. Mar 31, 2019 at 8:54 PM
    PoweredBySoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5

Products Discussed in

To Top