Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sell me on a rear bumper!!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #21
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
Hey!!!

you're on the west...sshhhh
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Eric
85yote09taco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice I appreciate the comments, how hard is the cutting of the bedsides? Is there a method? I'm torn between a few of these bumpers.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #23
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85yote09taco View Post
Nice I appreciate the comments, how hard is the cutting of the bedsides?
A grinder and patience, with emphasis on patience. I didn't trust myself enough, so I let Mr. ATO make the final cut. You do have a little room for error (like 1/8th inch) due to the application of door-edge moulding to the cut section.

Also, if you need the pro-tip on installing the edge moulding, let me know. I finally got it figured out last weekend.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #25
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

How handy are you? Depending upon how you feel with tools, it could either be self explanatory or Jesus-Take-The-Grinder.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #26
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

You know there is a saying for a guy like me it goes....."jack of all trades, master at none" I do get nervous when it comes down to doing crazy amounts of damage. But I believe if i studied a thread and took my time I would be fine.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #27

It helps to have three people.

Basic process:

- Remove stock bumper/hitch assembly. Heavy.
- Measure twice, tape once.
- Rough cut with grinder ~1" below final cut level.
- Clamp new bumper in place to check rough cut.
- Final cut. Take your time. Be less nervous than I was.
- Debur, Prime, Edge Mould.
- Install panel braces.
- Bolt on new bumper. Heavy.

There's a little detail to the cut under the taillight section. You'd wanna check with Mr. ATO on that.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #28

The only part I dont understand is the edge mould. Is that something that is supplied with the purchase, I believe I know what youa refering to but would like a better idea.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #29

I found a picture where it's fairly visible. This picture also happens to have Larry's ass crack in it.

Bear with me.

See the black edging running along the bottom of the cut quarter panel from the taillight to the fender flare? It's standard door-edge moulding from your local auto parts store, pretty cheap. You slap it over the cut section after priming to give it additional weather resistance and a nice factory look.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #30

nice, thanks i figured thats what it was. I guess the only part that I'm slightly uneasy about would be the cutting. But maybe I'll get more input from the guys at ATO.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #31
pat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pat's taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I found a picture where it's fairly visible. This picture also happens to have Larry's ass crack in it.

Bear with me.

See the black edging running along the bottom of the cut quarter panel from the taillight to the fender flare? It's standard door-edge moulding from your local auto parts store, pretty cheap. You slap it over the cut section after priming to give it additional weather resistance and a nice factory look.
thats a pretty sweet tree stump jack you got there and as for the ass crack
Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #33
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
the OP said high clearance, which that is not. also have to laugh at the train rearending it comment. those bumpers buckled in the middle from jacking it up before they had to rethink their design and actually use some bracing back there.

"All-Pro Off Road's 2005+ Tacoma Steel Plate Rear Bumper is made out of 10 gauge cold-rolled steel plate for the outer structure, and has 3/8" thick steel plate mounting brackets with integrated shackle mounts plus a sturday 1/4" thick reinforcement backing plate"

10 gauge steel=weak. that's only 1/8". there are better and sturdier options out there.
Sure there are better and sturdier, but also usually heavier and more expensive. Not everyone can afford the "best", or like the looks of what may be considered the "best". It's a matter of compromise between looks and function. Most anything else aftermarket is better than the 1/10000 of an inch thick stock bumper IMO
Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #34
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
Sure there are better and sturdier, but also usually heavier and more expensive. Not everyone can afford the "best", or like the looks of what may be considered the "best". It's a matter of compromise between looks and function. Most anything else aftermarket is better than the 1/10000 of an inch thick stock bumper IMO
I agree but as far as the heavier part goes, I like the extra weight over the rear tires. The rear end of our trucks are pretty light as I'm sure you know and having some more is nice in the rain.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #35
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i agree with them being heavier and anything being better than stock, but the price concerns arent there. the AP rear bolt on + wraps is $800. My ATO HC (minus the tire carrier) w/ hi lift jack points, hitch, and shackle mounts would have been $830.

EDIT: and from looking at their site, the weights are pretty damn close as well...

Bumper—72.0 lbs.
Side Pieces— 36.0 lbs.
Receiver Hitch—32.0 lbs.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #36

anyone know off hand how much the stock rear bumper would cost at dealership price? I'm taking it to get appraised for my insurance company and was wondering how much of a difference there would be on price, so I can use the money to get the bumper i really want.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85yote09taco View Post
anyone know off hand how much the stock rear bumper would cost at dealership price? I'm taking it to get appraised for my insurance company and was wondering how much of a difference there would be on price, so I can use the money to get the bumper i really want.

I've heard lol numbers, over ~$1000...Get the check for it, get a plate bumper, and pocket a few hundred bucks...
Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #38
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i agree with them being heavier and anything being better than stock, but the price concerns arent there. the AP rear bolt on + wraps is $800. My ATO HC (minus the tire carrier) w/ hi lift jack points, hitch, and shackle mounts would have been $830.

EDIT: and from looking at their site, the weights are pretty damn close as well...

Bumper—72.0 lbs.
Side Pieces— 36.0 lbs.
Receiver Hitch—32.0 lbs.
I saw the wraps on another Taco and didn't care for them at all. I decided to go without. The group buy saved me some good coin, too AP definitely isn't the highest clearance bumper by far, but I'm glad they reinforced it.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #39
allpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

allpro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I saw the wraps on another Taco and didn't care for them at all. I decided to go without. The group buy saved me some good coin, too AP definitely isn't the highest clearance bumper by far, but I'm glad they reinforced it.
I'm glad you're happy with your AP bumper, as are hundreds of others, nearing a thousand by now. Not everyone wants to cut their bedsides for more clearance, and IMO it just doesn't look good. We have the most trail tested products out there, and due to the popularity of our rear bumper, we can now buy material in larger quantity and pass that savings on to our customers, making the new low price only $499 (unpainted)!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #40
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
I like the wrap arounds for the AP rear bumper.