1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Base Model Overhead Console Mod ??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacomaBuzz, May 10, 2011.

1. May 14, 2011 at 10:51 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    x3

2. May 14, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    Bajones

Bajones Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. May 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    jackassmcpunk

jackassmcpunk Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Boston
    So it took me a while to get the time to start this project, and I'm not nearly finished, but I figure I'll show my progress. Namely, the removal of the headliner for the Regular cab, and what it looks like without it.

All of these pictures are with the headliner removed. I had put things back together so I can drive it while I work with the console and the headliner inside.

So first, I removed the sun visors. Pretty simple. Just remove the clip by turning it counter-clockwise with a little force, and it it'll come out. Careful not to break it. The visor itself is just held on my two screws. Then it'll pop right off.

[​IMG]

Next I removed the oh-shit handles and the A-pillar trim. Just remove the covers on the handles, unbolt them using a 10mm ratchet, and pull them off.To remove the pillar trim, just pull it slightly up, and then towards the rear of the truck. It should come out very easily.

[​IMG]

Next, there's those weird little squares that say SRS on them. Freaked me out a little, but after looking around the forum, they're no big deal. The cover doesn't come off easily, but unscrew the single screw and they come off no problem.

[​IMG]

The back of the cab was pretty simple too. Since I wasn't exactly sure what needed to come out, I took the back trim panel off. Just give it a good tug, it'll come right off. You don't really need to take this piece off, but it'll make it a little easier. Then on the C pillar, there are two little covers. Take out the two 10mm bolts to loosen up the trim piece.

[​IMG]

Then I pulled out the dome light, disconnected the wire, and then the fun began. The two coat hanger pieces did not want to come off. I figured they would come out like the visor clips. They eventually did come out with a twist, but I ended up breaking both of them. Be careful!

[​IMG]

So after that, the headliner pretty much fell out. Yay. Here's it sitting in the bed.

[​IMG]

And here is our roof! A few things to notice. There is no hardware, holes, or anything to attach the console to the roof. As I expected, there is also no wiring for the console, only for the dome light and auto-dimming mirror. Also, the wires are taped to the roof in the picture. They are actually taped to the headliner, so be careful while you're taking it off.

[​IMG]

So now the console and headliner are sitting in my living room waiting for part II of this adventure.

4. May 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    Out of curiosity what is this box?

[​IMG]

5. May 21, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    what is part two of this adventure?

6. May 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    jackassmcpunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Boston
    Not too sure. It's getting dark out and I only have a crappy camera, so I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow. It does say Denso on it, so I imagine it's a relay of some sort.

Part II is figuring out how I'm going to add the overhead console to my Taco.

Edit: The red box in that picture is apparently the TPMS receiver. I would have never guessed, except it is labeled that!

7. May 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    jackassmcpunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Boston
    I've cut the hole in my headliner, which was terrifying. I don't get to have another if this doesn't work! haha Before I start figuring out how the new console it going to be mounted in the cab, I'd like to get the map lights to work.

The connector for the lights has three tabs. I'm pretty sure the middle tab is power, and the two outside tabs are ground, but opposite of each other. I'm a little past my knowledge of electronics here.

So I'm hoping someone can help me out here with a couple of questions.

1. I'd like to use the power from the dome light to power the map lights. I'd like the map lights to be able to come on whenever I'd like, regardless of the position of the dome light switch. This way, I can have the map lights on, even when the dome light is off, like they operate normally. Is this possible? Can someone explain how to do it?

2. In a perfect world, I'd also like to make it so the map lights come on with the dome light.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1898180&postcount=158

Like the mod from that post.

Is any of this possible? My other option is to run power from somewhere else, but it'd be so convenient to do it like this.

Thanks in advance guys!

8. May 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Nice writeup so far!! If you tap the wires to the dome light , you should be ok. now you need to find a way to fabricate an overhead mount.

9. May 28, 2011 at 10:58 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    have you ever thought about mounting an overhead CB radio??

10. Jun 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    Sideways

Sideways Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD dbl cab
    JA did you ever finish this?

11. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    x2

12. Aug 11, 2011 at 3:31 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Yo, OP did this get anywhere yet? Bringing this back since I just scored the regular overhead console for my regular cab SR5. My plan is to use hi-temp quick steel to attach mounting nuts to the roof for the console. I'm just gonna tap the dome light fuse for power to run map lights off of. I'll try to get some pics of this project going forward from removing the headliner after I actually receive the console and formulate a plan on the mounting & see about scoring the plug and pigtail wiring for it. Gonna search around for any pics of the roof with the mounting bracket to see what that looks like.............

13. Aug 18, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Haven't found any pics of the mounting bracket except this little peek at it.......

[​IMG]

Can anyone shed any light on the bracket itself? Like....can it be removed? Will it have to be chiseled out of a junkyard truck? Is it spot welded to roof? Have the console, can cut headliner but it seems the headliners with consoles have a raised area where the console goes. Not sure if any depth issues will arise from that. Guessing I can epoxy or quick steel bracket to roof and something for the screw to thread into.

14. Oct 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    Wren

Wren Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Williamsburg, Ky
    Vehicle:
    11 White Reg. Cab 4x4
    Are all of the Single Cabs Pre-wired for the Auto-dimming mirror even if they do not have one? Because if they are, that is one of my next mods.

15. Oct 30, 2012 at 4:20 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    OK, no mounting bracket or wiring for doing this in reg cabs. Here is the mounting bracket and console I scored from a partout of an access cab. The mounting bracket would have to be epoxied to the roof and the headliner cut for the console. Wiring would have to be run or tap into dome light power to run maplights. Not sure if spacer would be needed due to any difference in center hump of headliner from reg cab compared to AC or DC headliners.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still have these because I went a different direction with a Gentex 341 auto dimming/maplight/homelink/temp/compass rear view mirror with amber display. This was easier to do and added features I wouldn't have had doing the ovh console. Only thing the console had was a cubby for sunglasses that the mirror did not have. They can ride in the cubby in front of the shifter. Important thing was not having to open center console for garage door opener any more, having an additional maplight up front and the bonus of compass/temp in matching amber.............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone interested in the ovh console and mounting bracket, let me know. I can provide fresh pics if wanting to buy them.

Dude, don't worry about that. Get a mirror that comes with wiring kit and just run wiring accross inside front edge of headliner then down pillar to fuse box. Wire it in using add-a-circuit taps in the fuse box. I used the rr pwr window fuse for switched & pwr door lock fuse for constant since my reg cab is using neither of these features & then used a bolt to ground to the body in the same area. Other than that, there were only the 2 wires to connect temp sensor harness run from the front of the truck. Simple stuff. Simpler if you aren't running a temp sensor. Here is the add-a-circuit pic, no splicing anything. Just run pwr wire to it and crimp it on..........

[​IMG]

16. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    esatonick

esatonick New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    N.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 PRERUNNER
    Is your console and bracket still for sale

17. Aug 7, 2013 at 3:20 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    PM sent..............

18. Aug 7, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    Boilerman

Boilerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas, northwest of the Big Pond
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner SR5 Magnetic Gray 2.7L
    Rear of the cab, my guess would be the factory xm antenna?

19. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    There ya go........

Products Discussed in

To Top