Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tough country 3 inch spacer lift or fabtech 3 inch coilover?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
jd17usmc is on a distinguished road
Marines: 2nd squad leader, LS1 platoon, 2nd BTO, 4th CLB, 4th MLG
Name: jansen
jd17usmc's Tacoma Gallery
tough country 3 inch spacer lift or fabtech 3 inch coilover?

i just moved from my 07 black single cab prerunner with 32 mud terrains and a skyjacker leveling kit, to a 2011 black dc 4wd. had the dealership move over the wheels and tires from my old truck to the 2011. but moving the leveling kit was too much of a hassle.

so i may get another leveling kit for the time being, however i want to eventually go to a 3 inch lift new wheels with offset and bigger tires. my local shop suggests the tough country spacer lift they said they could have it installed and balanced for under $600. but i want to do things right for the long haul and i like the fabtech 3 inch lift. they said it would be around 4 grand to install however. looking for help from anyone on application of the lifts quality opinions and possibly whats the biggest i can go with tires.. id love to squeeze something close to 34s under my truck even if i have to do some cutting. i keep seeing clears 33 an i know thats conservative. just dont know how conservative.. any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
bsteinkamp is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
bsteinkamp's Tacoma Gallery
King coilovers 2K.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
TRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to all

TRDSPORTtaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you paid $4g for a 3" lift to be installed I would have to kick you in the nutz!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
I bring the feel goods w/a heavy load of sarcasm
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
x2 haha ^
Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
TRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to all

Oh and I used to have the Tough Country 3" spacer lift on stock struts and coils. WORST DECISION EVER MADE!

I switched to 5100's all around and 885's. That combo was $500. Get a rear AAL for like $100 and install everything in your drive way.

Do not get a spacer lift.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
OME coils and shocks up front. OME shocks or bilstein 5100 shocks and a new leaf pack or AAL in the rear. Try searching to see what setups people are running.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Neither option sounds good.

Look into a set of Bilstein 5100s, if you are on a budget. If not then look into a set of ICON coilvers.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
kingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Spindle lift with some 5100's and use your stock coils. No need for new uca's. Should be around $1200-$1500. That's what I did. Very happy with the ride.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtaco View Post
Spindle lift with some 5100's and use your stock coils. No need for new uca's. Should be around $1200-$1500. That's what I did. Very happy with the ride.
OP is 4x4 so he can't get lift spindles.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
BigGameHuntr is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
BigGameHuntr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDSPORTtaco View Post
Oh and I used to have the Tough Country 3" spacer lift on stock struts and coils. WORST DECISION EVER MADE!

I switched to 5100's all around and 885's. That combo was $500. Get a rear AAL for like $100 and install everything in your drive way.

x2 I did the same thing
Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

GO THIS ROUTE!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Quote:
If you paid $4g for a 3" lift to be installed I would have to kick you in the nutz!
Quote:

see thats the problem i saw with both these kits, the fabtech being ridiculously priced... and ive heard spacers are garbage and as soon as you take them off road you have problems.

what you suggested sounds like the best way to go. and i see guys trucks on here with similar set ups that look like they have a great stance, and love the ride. but im ignorant to all this, was a little apprehensive about piecing together a lift myself. i guess ill do some more research and go with everything you suggested. where will that put me height wise and stance?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
kingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
OP is 4x4 so he can't get lift spindles.
It would help if I knew how to read. Huh?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtaco View Post
It would help if I knew how to read. Huh?
Who reads stuff anyways?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
Quote:
Who reads stuff anyways?
its over rated!

so just with a little research im seeing maybe the way to go is 5100 all around. to level it out and i can add to that with 885s and AAL to eventually get to 3 inches? does the 885s on the 5100s give the 5100s more than 2.5 lift? and with this combo and maybe some cutting could i fit anything close to 34s under it? or is that a pipe dream?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
5100s all round to start out then upgrading as you can is a good idea. With the 885 and the bilstein shocks set at 0 you should be at 2" or so. You should be able to change the settings to get around 3" of lift. You don't want to go over 3" of lift or shit will start breaking and you'll be going through cv axles and boots like crazy. 34s might fit with some major cutting and the right backspaced wheels or wheel spacers.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 AM   #18
Quote:
5100s all round to start out then upgrading as you can is a good idea. With the 885 and the bilstein shocks set at 0 you should be at 2" or so. You should be able to change the settings to get around 3" of lift. You don't want to go over 3" of lift or shit will start breaking and you'll be going through cv axles and boots like crazy. 34s might fit with some major cutting and the right backspaced wheels or wheel spacers.
thank you. thats the most helpful advice ive gotten so far. im hoping with the 5100 and stock springs for now atleast i can get a level ride. and ive also been told that with the 5100s and 885s i shouldnt ever set the 5100s over 0" or ill start having problems. im looking for a good solution and not to F up my new truck if you know what i mean.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #19

From what I have read and seen on here, most people wanting to level out their trucks set the 5100's at 1.75" and had the TSB done in the rear.

I started out with the 5100's, then waited like ohhhhhh 4 days then bought TC upper control arms, then after putting those on I waited like a week before ordering the 885's. So start off with the 5100's and upgrade from there when you can.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
Quote:
From what I have read and seen on here, most people wanting to level out their trucks set the 5100's at 1.75" and had the TSB done in the rear.

I started out with the 5100's, then waited like ohhhhhh 4 days then bought TC upper control arms, then after putting those on I waited like a week before ordering the 885's. So start off with the 5100's and upgrade from there when you can.
thanks, i think thats prolly what im gonna wanna do. what does changing the upper UCA do for you? is it to help with travel or does it affect ride height? and what does the TSB mean, and ive heard people saying that some dealerships will do it for you and some wont.