Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to use the 110v bed outlet

Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
How to use the 110v bed outlet

I have never used this and wondering how do I go about using this.
How can I know what things will work there?
do I need to have my engine running inorder to use this outlet?
and would that drain my battery power?

I am on a camping trip tomorrow and want to use this outlet for air compressor and electric fryer.

thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Higher draw appliances won't work .

It's all in the manual .
Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
You need the ignition in the on position or engine running. Push the button on the dash to turn it on. Plug in what ever you need to use and if it works you did everything right. If it doesn't work, it means you did something wrong or the inverter isn't powerful enough. You can't power much with the outlet, I've had luck with a small radio, but no hair dryer, circular saw, vacuum
Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Push the button with the engine running for 400 watts. It also works when driving but only give 150 watts. There are complete instructions in the owners manual. Also I doubt it with power the fryer or the compressor.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
yeah it's rated for small stuff.....like less than 4 amp's i believe
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Thanks guys. I sure will give a try actually today to see if both of those appliances work before taking them.

how long can I run the outlet power without draining out the truck battery?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
All appliances will have a UL sticker which lists the voltage requirement and amperage draw of that appliance. Multiply the voltage times the amperage and you'll get the wattage required to run the appliance. As long as you don't exceed the 400W supplied by the truck's inverter you should be okay. Keep in mind that most appliances with electric motors require a heavy draw in the instant that they're started, so even if the wattage rating is below 400W for that appliance, the instantaneous startup may trip the inverter's fuse (assuming it has one).

I was thinking of getting a 1000W from Harbor Freight for my truck. They're relatively cheap if you need something with a little more capacity.

Oh, and draining the battery depends on what you're powering with the inverter. Higher amperage will drain it much faster. The air compressor you want to use is, I assume, for an air mattress? If it's one of the cheapo ones that comes with the air mattress, then you''re not likely to drain the battery even with a few hours of continuous running. The electric fryer is a different story though. I doubt that the inverter will even handle that with the truck running.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
ya I dont think I would be able to run the fryer on it. anyways, its good to know what it can do and what it cannot.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
it's there so you can run a small line of LED Christmas lights. other than that, i have never seen anyone run anything the darn cig lighter in the cabin cant run..(i.e.charge cell phones)
Old 05-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
it's there so you can run a small line of LED Christmas lights. other than that, i have never seen anyone run anything the darn cig lighter in the cabin cant run..(i.e.charge cell phones)
Lol , I ran Christmas lights this last year .
Old 05-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
No idea why Toyo would waste cost on such a useless component. If they are going to put it there then it should be able to handle a small appliance.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
I've run a 27" TV off of it when my power went out.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSport View Post
No idea why Toyo would waste cost on such a useless component. If they are going to put it there then it should be able to handle a small appliance.
There is a simple explanation, it was for marketing reasons. The small unit is good enough for the majority of people out there.

I use it to power an AC air pump to handle air mattresses while camping. My pump draws ~ 324 watts. I think it works well for our needs.

FYI, At max draw (400W) the inverter is pulling ~33 Amps from the battery / generator.

EDIT: I added some outlets in the interior so I can use the inverter while driving. Also there is a mod to make the inverter 400W all the time.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I tried an 8 amp electric mini chainsaw yesterday and it worked
Old 05-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
If you guys can run air compressors and vacuums then I must be doing something wrong. I have tried a hair dryer to remove dealer stickers and then a small vacuum and the power switch/light just shuts off. Motor running or just ignition on makes no difference.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
yarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Yuri
yarik83's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 5 gallon bucket of water with a water pump running off that outlet. It is able to power 21gph (although I usually run pump at 5gph) and it seems to work fine. I just don't like experience itself. You need to leave keys in ignition while you yourself are behind the truck. Someone can jump in and drive off with the truck. Lately I have been using a 2nd set of keys and just lock the truck while washing off my gear.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
ive ran several different electrical lawn tools with it. weedeater, hedge trimmer, etc.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
My air compressor works great with the bed outlet. Very pleased with that
Old 05-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #19
ds46000 is on a distinguished road
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
i think it's pretty handy myself. the biggest thing i've used it for was to cut a lock off a gate w/ a heavy duty reciprocating saw. The truck was running, and I used it in the 400W mode. It did trip the fuse a couple times when i put too much load on the saw...but if i didn't bear down too hard and let the saw do the work, it kept going. Got the lock off in no time.

If you do trip the fuse, just push the button again and it will reset.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #20
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSport View Post
If you guys can run air compressors and vacuums then I must be doing something wrong. I have tried a hair dryer to remove dealer stickers and then a small vacuum and the power switch/light just shuts off. Motor running or just ignition on makes no difference.
The average hair dryer is going to draw well in advance of 1000 watts, probably around 1500-1900 watts. It's simply beyond the ability of the factory 400 watt inverter unit. Compressors have large motors that draw lots of amps so unless they're really small motors drawing very little power, they're not going to work either.

My household vacuum cleaner draws ~1680 Watts (14 amps AC).

To run those kinds of appliances I would need an inverter capable of putting out 2000+ watts. They sell them too.

An inverter that is capable of putting out 2000 watts is going to draw 166 DC amps! That's an enormous power drain. People who use that kind of power with DC usually have multiple batteries to support the load and protect their starting battery with some kind of isolator.