Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Window Tint Options??

Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
Window Tint Options??

Has anyone ever used Solar Gard HP Smoke on their windows??
I've go a place by me that's been in business for 26 years that will do both front windows in this film for $60.
Supposedly this film is a metallic hybrid with a lifetime warranty.

I'm also looking at doing it myself by purchasing either the 3m or Llumar precut kits (both approximately $45 on e-bay).

There's also another option - it's from Filmvantage. It's called Ultimacool Duo - The Black Box Tint. It's specs state that it completely matches the 3m and Llumar films in every aspect, but it only costs $25 for the precut kit.

Anyone have any input about any of these brands - especially the Filmvantage and Solar Gard film??
Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
210thumper is on a distinguished road

Name: sam
210thumper's Tacoma Gallery
never really heard nething about the other ones u were talkin about but....ive always used 3m and i have never had ne problems what so ever.... im mean i would guess that its ur decision
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cverneau View Post
Has anyone ever used Solar Gard HP Smoke on their windows??
I've go a place by me that's been in business for 26 years that will do both front windows in this film for $60.
Supposedly this film is a metallic hybrid with a lifetime warranty.

I'm also looking at doing it myself by purchasing either the 3m or Llumar precut kits (both approximately $45 on e-bay).

There's also another option - it's from Filmvantage. It's called Ultimacool Duo - The Black Box Tint. It's specs state that it completely matches the 3m and Llumar films in every aspect, but it only costs $25 for the precut kit.

Anyone have any input about any of these brands - especially the Filmvantage and Solar Gard film??
I had a tint with a metallic film put on my '95 Taco back in 99. When I traded it in a few months ago it was still like the day I got it. It didnt turn purple or come off or anything.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
The tint guy I went to http://finelinetintshop.com/faq.html use Suntek's Carbon series.

He seems to know what he is doing, tint film is nice.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
cu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant futurecu52 has a brilliant future
cu52's Tacoma Gallery
unless you have tinted before and are confident you can do it as good as the pro's, the $45 kit will still need a few misc tools bringin you to at least $60. The solar Gard is good film, pay $60 and have it done, they will warranty it for issues down the road.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
magnum922 is on a distinguished road

magnum922's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdpowell View Post
The tint guy I went to http://finelinetintshop.com/faq.html use Suntek's Carbon series.

He seems to know what he is doing, tint film is nice.

I got Sunteks carbon series on mine. The guy cut the back window too short and would not fix it so i got it replaced at another shop that used Formula one carbon tint. Formula one is crystal clear. Suntek is milky looking.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #8

LMAO...I forgot I started this thread till you guys bumped it.
I ended up having the place do it for $60.
I had both door panels off as I was putting in new 6x9's in the doors and figured it would be easier for them to do with the panels off, so I took it in to have them do it.
They literally did it in under 5 minutes!!
Went with 35% tint - it looks awesome and there's no bubbles or imperfections in it. Perfectly clear to see through and not too dark at night (I'm over 40, so the eyes start going...).
Can't beat $60 for a metalized film that has a lifetime guarantee...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cverneau View Post
I ended up having the place do it for $60.

They literally did it in under 5 minutes!!
Went with 35% tint - it looks awesome and there's no bubbles or imperfections in it. Perfectly clear to see through and not too dark at night (I'm over 40, so the eyes start going...).
Can't beat $60 for a metalized film that has a lifetime guarantee...
35% matches up pretty well on my AC ..... at times it is much easier to pay someone ... as you said ... 5 minutes ... leave it to the professionals.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
hey cvern....can we possibly get a pic of the tint? im thinkin bout havin mine done and her ein nc 35 is as dark as theyll allow.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #11

I'll try to take photo's in the next couple of days.
I need to post some with my horns of fire as well.
The 35% does not match the rear factory as they are at 20%.
It is however close enough that it looks fantastic.
35% over the stock tint on the front windows (IIRC it's 7% from the factory) is just over the line of what's legal in CT.
With the metallized film, you get somewhat of a reflective mirrored surface on the window. You CAN see in, but you really have to look close.
Like I said, night driving is perfect for the side mirrors and seeing what's going on around you. IMHO the 20% would be too dark at night to see what's around you.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, in my opinion 20% is the way to go. Yes I know you said you think it would be too dark but it's really not that bad. I have a small car (Geo Metro Hatch) with 20% all the way around and it's really not bad at all.