Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Garrett Turbo thoughts.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Garrett Turbo thoughts.

Ok I havn't really seen much evidence of that many gearheads around here thus far. Maybe they are all hiding?
Ok so I'm probably really just talking but....I was thinking about turbocharging my Tacoma. I have a lot of experience with turbocharged vehicles and if I do this I would be selling my turbocharged car to pay for it.
Here is the plot. I have a 2007 Regular Cab 4x4 4 cylinder. Ok is this same basic engine used in any of toyota's cars? Does anyone know how tough these engines are?
Then we move on to the drivetrain issues...Does anyone know how much power the tranny, axles and rear can take?
I don't have a problem pulling 300-350hp out of a 2.7 liter engine. My car is a 1.6 and I'm getting around 250 out of it I could actually get more if I moved to a bigger compressor wheel.
So Basics...I'd probably have to either have a manifold made or make one myself, am I right? Not too difficult
Looks like plenty of room under the hood if I top mount it. Lots of room for an intercooler up front.
Injectors...Anybody know how many cc's the stockers flow? That stock fuel rail looks awfully skinny! I'm guessing i'd have to upgrade the injectors and the fuel pump, and obviously some type of stand alone fuel management system.
Turbo...i'm thinking maybe a disco potato...might be a bit small though. GT35?
I plan on keeping my gas mileage. (so long as my foot doesn't stay glued to the floor)
Ok so i'm really serious about doing this if the drivetrain can hold it. With 300 wheel hp *notice I said WHEEL HP* at 4000lbs with me and a tank of gas. So long as traction isn't too much of an issue I should be good for high 13's. That pretty quick for a 4x4 truck.

.....Maybe I should just keep my car haha.

Ok if I do this...It will be probably two years down the road when its paid off. I just bought it less than a month ago. But that leaves plenty of time for research in the meantime.

Oh yeah nobody makes a turbo kit for these do they? I did a quick google and didn't find one. So i'm guessing I'll just have to do all custom. Thats fine then it'll be how I want it anyways.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Look up STS turbos, they make one for the taco.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i seriously think you should have kept your car. if you were dead set on souping up a truck i probably would have gone with something else all together. but to each his own. good luck
Old 05-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #4

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
i seriously think you should have kept your car. if you were dead set on souping up a truck i probably would have gone with something else all together. but to each his own. good luck
I STILL HAVE my car. Though I am thinking about selling it, and if I do go ahead with something like this its not going to be until the truck is paid for.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
Name: Mark
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen wierder shit with a turbo strapped on it. I say go for it, enough time and $ anything is possible
Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
I've seen wierder shit with a turbo strapped on it. I say go for it, enough time and $ anything is possible
True, but if i had any intentions of souping anything up for speed i would have gone with the X-runner. it's already got a strong motor to start with. If this guy gets as much power out of engines as he says he could get a dangerous amount of power out of the V6 in the X-runner. I bet that would be one hell of a ride...
Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #7

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
True, but if i had any intentions of souping anything up for speed i would have gone with the X-runner. it's already got a strong motor to start with. If this guy gets as much power out of engines as he says he could get a dangerous amount of power out of the V6 in the X-runner. I bet that would be one hell of a ride...
The problem with doing anything to the V6 motor is it already has a crazy high compression ratio. If you mix turbo boost with that compression ratio you are going to have detonation issues unless you run race gas all the time. Not premium, RACE gas.

It's not about having the fastest car out there. It's about a good median. It's still a 4x4 I can still get in the mud with it. If I keep my foot out of the pedal it will still get good gas mileage. Oh and did I mention nobody will ever suspect it?

I'm just worried about the drivetrain not being able to take it. I can rebuild the bottom end with forged internals if I have to. If your drivetrain can't take it though you have bigger issues and in my opinion too much work for what its worth.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I don't know if there is any difference in the driveline after the transmission between the 2.7L and the 4.0L...

I would think that they are the same except for the final drive ratio, but that is just my thoughts - no evidence to support it.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:51 AM   #9
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
URD sells a turbo for our Tacos: http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...s_id=126019804
Old 05-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #10

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
That is for the V6 it won't work on a 4 banger....and I don't like that setup either. It has a seventh injector to add fuel. That's a half ass way to do it. If your paying someone all that money to have the setup pre-fabbed they should do it right.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
That is for the V6 it won't work on a 4 banger....and I don't like that setup either. It has a seventh injector to add fuel. That's a half ass way to do it. If your paying someone all that money to have the setup pre-fabbed they should do it right.
Just out of curiosity, what is it you dont like about the 7th injector setup? I have the URD Supercharger and i think it's a great setup...
Old 05-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #12

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder327 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is it you dont like about the 7th injector setup? I have the URD Supercharger and i think it's a great setup...
In my experience it lets certain cylinders run lean. That seventh injector mixes it while its still in the intake and then the fuel mixture doesn't stay even as it goes into the seperate intake runners. You end up with certain cylinders running lean and detonation in certain cylinders. I suppose its possible that if the intake manifold was designed perfectly this wouldn't happen, but every car i've worked with so far has had this problem with 5th or 7th or 9th injector setups.
Its just much better in my opinion to get a stand alone fuel management system and get some bigger injectors for all the cylinders.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
In my experience it lets certain cylinders run lean. That seventh injector mixes it while its still in the intake and then the fuel mixture doesn't stay even as it goes into the seperate intake runners. You end up with certain cylinders running lean and detonation in certain cylinders. I suppose its possible that if the intake manifold was designed perfectly this wouldn't happen, but every car i've worked with so far has had this problem with 5th or 7th or 9th injector setups.
Its just much better in my opinion to get a stand alone fuel management system and get some bigger injectors for all the cylinders.
Interesting....

So far so good with my setup thus far though
Old 05-25-2007, 06:40 PM   #14

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Well I hope you don't have any trouble. I've just seen too many motors blow up like that...however my guess is your not running that much boost with that setup am I right? I've seen lots of motors blow up like that because of skewed air fuel ratio's but then again they were all running either very large turboes or extremely high boost levels sometimes both.
If you ever try to turn your boost level up with a different pulley or a larger charger you'll definately want to look into a better fuel delivery setup.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Well I hope you don't have any trouble. I've just seen too many motors blow up like that...however my guess is your not running that much boost with that setup am I right? I've seen lots of motors blow up like that because of skewed air fuel ratio's but then again they were all running either very large turboes or extremely high boost levels sometimes both.
If you ever try to turn your boost level up with a different pulley or a larger charger you'll definately want to look into a better fuel delivery setup.
8psi actually...

I may be getting some 440cc injectors soon..