Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch pedal sideways movement

Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
ruseter08 is on a distinguished road
ruseter08's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch pedal sideways movement

Hi all. I have a 2010 4cyl with the 5 speed and noticed substantial side to side movement when I first step on the clutch. After it goes down a bit and engages with the metal rod that goes into the master cylinder it straightens out. I have tried searching for similar issues, but couldn't find anything exactly like my issue.

My question is, does this side to side movement on the metal rod cause unnecessary stress onto the master cylinder that could cause leaking or breakage? Has anyone else experienced something similar to what I am experiencing?

I have owned multiple stick shift vehicles in my lifetime and never noticed any side ways movement in the clutch pedal. I just want to be sure this isn't going to cause any issues later on down the road on a new truck.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
OMG I was just about to make this same post. WTF is this? Mine is the same and it pisses me off like crazy. My truck is only a month old too
Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It's just the POS plastic clutch pedal assembly. My 2008 has done it since new. Dealer says it's normal, even though they replaced the entire clutch pedal assembly last December. It's even more fun when it creaks when you depress the pedal. The clevis & rod assembly broke on mine a couple weeks ago, dealer replaced that, starting to creak again. No noticeable improvement on the side to side movement though. Just a crap design by Toyota.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not familiar withthe cluch-pedal design on Tacos, but is there anywhere you could shim it with washers?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
Thanks for all the feedback. I am glad I am not the only person experiencing this. I will have to take a closer look at it and see if I can tighten it up with some washers or something.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't call my side to side movement "substantial", but it is noticable, and it certainly is not something I've ever felt on any of a long string of manual vehicles I've driven in the last 50+ years. If anyone finds the right place to add a washer or spacer and a good material (brass, nylon, ...) a post and a picture would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

When my clutch pedal was replaced last December, the service advisor showed me the new pedal assembly they were installing. He said there are nylon bushings that Toyota says should be installed with no lubrication. He felt there should be some kind of silicone lubricant paste put in to keep them working smoothly, but Toyota doesn't authorize using any & it would void the part warranty. They are just thin nylon & look like they would wear fairly quickly.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #9

Yup, thats it!! Mine moves like that. Dealer says not worse than any new one on the lot they compared mine too.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Mskwared is on a distinguished road
Mskwared's Tacoma Gallery
I heard on here somewhere that the rod in the pedal assembly loosens itself in its seat and thats what creaks. He also said that if you twist the rod itself like a quarter turn or whatever that it stops creaking for a while but it will loosen itself again. Loc-tite or something maybe?

I have the same problem in my 08. Really annoying in bumper to bumper traffic. Even more so when theres a car full of cute girls next to you.... -_-
Old 05-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Why did they go all cheesy on the 2nd gen clutch assy? The 1st gens weren't like this.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
Shifting Member
TeXian will become famous soon enough

Name: Christian
TeXian's Tacoma Gallery
I first noticed the sideways movement almost on day 1. Then the creaking sound and it drives me crazy! I've driven manuals all my life and have never seen anything like this before. My friend is a Toyo Tech and I'm taking it in and see what he says. He'll replace the entire assembly if he has to, but like previous posts, I'm not optimistic it will permenatly correct the problem. I'll post again once I get it replaced and give any details provided.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Yes my movement is very similar to the video posted. If other people are experiencing this then I guess it is normal for our trucks. I was just concerned because I have never experienced this with any of my other manual transmission vehicles.

Thank you all who replied.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2005 and I've had it ever since i bought it. I've gotten used to it
Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXian View Post
I first noticed the sideways movement almost on day 1. Then the creaking sound and it drives me crazy! I've driven manuals all my life and have never seen anything like this before. My friend is a Toyo Tech and I'm taking it in and see what he says. He'll replace the entire assembly if he has to, but like previous posts, I'm not optimistic it will permenatly correct the problem. I'll post again once I get it replaced and give any details provided.
my old civic SI was 100 times worse. It was so bad the vibration made it feel like the throw out bearing was gone