Engine Start Problems

Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
ivansal is on a distinguished road
Marines: 2nd LT
Name: Ivan
ivansal's Tacoma Gallery
Engine Start Problems

I have a 2005 Taco.....

So for the past couple of days i have been having problems starting my taco, i tried jump starting it, and it turned on but as soon i shut if off same problem. Took it to AutoZone and had battery, starter, and Alternator tested, and all 3 where working properly, battery holding a 100% charge. Any ideas what the problem could be? read some threads that it might be full related, but that seems unlikely since it has been starting with a jump.

Any ideas gentleman
Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Basics: check terminals/connections for being clean and tight.
Make sure your trans is fully locked into park if it's automatic.

Do the light/stereo etc. work when this happens or is you rig just completely dead? Does it even try to turn over?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansal View Post
I have a 2005 Taco.....

So for the past couple of days i have been having problems starting my taco, i tried jump starting it, and it turned on but as soon i shut if off same problem. Took it to AutoZone and had battery, starter, and Alternator tested, and all 3 where working properly, battery holding a 100% charge. Any ideas what the problem could be? read some threads that it might be full related, but that seems unlikely since it has been starting with a jump.

Any ideas gentleman
Yes, we need more details to diagnose this correctly.

1) Next time it won't start I want you to turn on your headlights and hop out of the truck and see if they appear to be on and bright.

2) Is there any evidence of corrosion around the battery terminals?

3) Do you hear any noises when trying to start the truck, does the engine turn over, or is there a clicking sound, or an electric motor sound.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
ivansal is on a distinguished road
Marines: 2nd LT
Name: Ivan
ivansal's Tacoma Gallery
Yes stereo and all lights seem to work fine. From what I can hear the engine turns over. I tried jumping the truck and it will start. But once I shut it off I have to rejump. Took it to autozone and they tested the battery alternator and starter. All working fine. Once it's on it runs as normal.

Thanks for the help gentleman
Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a no start and the battery checks out fine and only starts when you jump it I would check your battery cables and connections.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
How old is the battery? Cold cranking amps ok? I would try another battery if it starts with a jump.

Steve