Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clicking Sound After Shifting Into D or R

Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
qckslvr2234's Tacoma Gallery
Clicking Sound After Shifting Into D or R

I have an 06 DCSB with 4.0L and automatic trans. I have been noticing that when I shift into drive or reverse as I start rolling I hear a clicking noise coming from under the truck. It is a single loud click sound just as I start to roll. My guess is it is coming from the transmittion but I cant figure it out. It happens mainly when I go from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. I have not noticed it yet when going from park to either gear.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah truck has roughly 81,000 miles on it and all scheduled maintenance has been done to this point. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Oh wow, this sounds A LOT like what my manual tranny was doing (and if so it will get worse over time):
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ual-grind.html

I am not sure yet what actually broke (they said not to even get into it). I will hopefully find out tomorrow or saturday. But they are replacing my entire transmission system.

Does it seem to happen more on bumps or maybe turns?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
OP - does it happen when the truck is cold? Hot? Both?

Perhaps it's not the tranny at all, but slack in the driveline?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Oh wow, this sounds A LOT like what my manual tranny was doing (and if so it will get worse over time):
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ual-grind.html

I am not sure yet what actually broke (they said not to even get into it). I will hopefully find out tomorrow or saturday. But they are replacing my entire transmission system.

Does it seem to happen more on bumps or maybe turns?
It never happens that I know of when I am driving. It is mainly when I am in the driveway and switch from one gear to the next. As an example I pull in the driveway from the main street. The way my driveway is I have a spot that once I pull up I can back into on the side. The sound comes once I come to a stop, shift to reverse and start to move. As I start to move it makes a loud click. Just once and then it is over. The reason I said possibly transmission is that it is a loud click to wear you can hear something changing over and sounds as if it is not engaged all the way until after the click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
OP - does it happen when the truck is cold? Hot? Both?

Perhaps it's not the tranny at all, but slack in the driveline?
Good point. I am not that knowledgable in drivelines though. It happens no matter if it is hot or cold. I come to a stop, shift from one to the other and start to move at that time it makes a loud click.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qckslvr2234 View Post
It never happens that I know of when I am driving. It is mainly when I am in the driveway and switch from one gear to the next. As an example I pull in the driveway from the main street. The way my driveway is I have a spot that once I pull up I can back into on the side. The sound comes once I come to a stop, shift to reverse and start to move. As I start to move it makes a loud click. Just once and then it is over. The reason I said possibly transmission is that it is a loud click to wear you can hear something changing over and sounds as if it is not engaged all the way until after the click.
Hmmm, ok, my issue would happen while you were in gear and driving. Nevermind then.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
But ONLY if you go from D to R or from R to D?

What about when you go from L to 2 or from 2 to 3 or 4 to D?

You said it didn't happen when you went from P to D or P to R, correct?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Floating front rotors shifting front and back? My truck has done it since I had it. I start rolling and when I hit the brakes I get a single loud metal clunk. Put it in D and first time I hit the brakes it is the same thing.

?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
But ONLY if you go from D to R or from R to D?

What about when you go from L to 2 or from 2 to 3 or 4 to D?

You said it didn't happen when you went from P to D or P to R, correct?
I have not tried to go through each gear since I never really deal with that. It only has happened when going from D to R or the other way, never in or out of park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstd View Post
Floating front rotors shifting front and back? My truck has done it since I had it. I start rolling and when I hit the brakes I get a single loud metal clunk. Put it in D and first time I hit the brakes it is the same thing.

?
Sounds similar but it happens as soon as I start to roll not when I hit the brakes. My brother in law has an 09 DCSB and I have never noticed it on his. Is this something easily fixable if it is the same thing?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #10

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Try greasing the drive line zerks to see if it helps.
Might sound stupid but I dont know much about drivelines. Where are they on the driveshaft and about how many?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Might sound stupid but I dont know much about drivelines. Where are they on the driveshaft and about how many?
Drive line/shaft...same thing. If you have 4WD there are 5 zerks total.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #12

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Drive line/shaft...same thing. If you have 4WD there are 5 zerks total.
Ok thanks I will be doing this next time I am off. Do you think the problem could be anything else?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok thanks I will be doing this next time I am off. Do you think the problem could be anything else?
Since adding grease is easy I thought I'd throw that out there to see if it might help.
I had a similar noise whenever I put the truck in reverse and backed out the driveway...a single "click". I then got in the habit of putting the truck in neutral and rolling back a few feet before going into reverse (driveway is at a slight incline) and I never here it anymore. I'm at a loss on what the exact cause was. Might be something with the brakes like viperstd mentioned?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
BayTaco is a name known to allBayTaco is a name known to allBayTaco is a name known to allBayTaco is a name known to allBayTaco is a name known to allBayTaco is a name known to all

BayTaco's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I have the same exact issue and while searching came across your post. Did you have any luck with greasing the driveshafts? I am still under warranty and had the dealer look at it. They said they couldn't duplicate the issue, but greased the driveshafts, but I still notice this! I am thinking of taking it back, anyone else have this issue with resolution? Thank you.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #15

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTaco View Post
OP, I have the same exact issue and while searching came across your post. Did you have any luck with greasing the driveshafts? I am still under warranty and had the dealer look at it. They said they couldn't duplicate the issue, but greased the driveshafts, but I still notice this! I am thinking of taking it back, anyone else have this issue with resolution? Thank you.
I have not done it yet. I picked up some extra shifts so getting ready to finish up 10 days in a row. Anyways, it looks like monday will be my opportunity to do it. Let me know what happens with the dealership. I dont think it is a huge issue just annoying. I hope at least.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
Average JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to behold

Army: 4ID
Name: Matt
Average JOE's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed. I have a 07 DC Prerunner.......... Same prob. One loud click. Only when shifting from D to R or R to D.
Ill be watching this for info.
thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #17
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
I have and '06 and the same noise. I took it to a dealer about 3 years ago and they said it's normal. I asked what the noise was and how it occurs but he couldn't even explain it. Still have the noise 3 years later and no issues.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #18
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i have 07 trd OR 4wd DCSB. and today will be day 6 i have had it. i have NOT noticed this on mine. but maybe i just have not noticed it. i have 25'0**K miles
Old 05-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #19

Law Enforcement:
Sounds like it is more common then I thought. My brother in law has an 09 and his doesn't do it. Hopefully someone figures it out for us.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
someone want to pull the front brakes off and try it out?