Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4X4 Problem...

Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnchpin View Post
Here's mine...I have a fluctuating grinding sound from the front passenger wheel when NOT in 4WD (regardless if in 4L or 4H). As soon as I engage 4WD...no grind. It's a fluctuating grind increasing with speed that seems like a single roller inside a bearing is gouging the race as it rotates, but it disappears after 4WD is engaged. So I doubt its a bearing issue..unless 4WD forces the wheel to line up in such a way that it relieves any excess pressure on the bearing...if that's even possible. Important to note, a few times a very loud bang was noticed when I disengaged 4WD. Another point (which may not apply but...), I notice it is very hard to make turns with 4WD engaged. I have to gas it more to keep the RPMs up to keep moving forward and not kill the engine unless I press the clutch in time, but then the truck locks up as if I hit the brakes. Its as if something is creating excess resistence. This may be a normal occurance with 4WD, but being this is my first 4WD ever... So, either way, its going into the shop soon. But any input I can get on this matter will help me explain my situation better to the dealership
Do not use 4 wheel drive on surfaces you have grip. No pavement. You will damage it if you haven't already.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnchpin View Post
Here's mine...I have a fluctuating grinding sound from the front passenger wheel when NOT in 4WD (regardless if in 4L or 4H). As soon as I engage 4WD...no grind. It's a fluctuating grind increasing with speed that seems like a single roller inside a bearing is gouging the race as it rotates, but it disappears after 4WD is engaged. So I doubt its a bearing issue..unless 4WD forces the wheel to line up in such a way that it relieves any excess pressure on the bearing...if that's even possible. Important to note, a few times a very loud bang was noticed when I disengaged 4WD. Another point (which may not apply but...), I notice it is very hard to make turns with 4WD engaged. I have to gas it more to keep the RPMs up to keep moving forward and not kill the engine unless I press the clutch in time, but then the truck locks up as if I hit the brakes. Its as if something is creating excess resistence. This may be a normal occurance with 4WD, but being this is my first 4WD ever... So, either way, its going into the shop soon. But any input I can get on this matter will help me explain my situation better to the dealership
The grinding sound is possibly a joint failure or brake pad wear indicator. Take it to mechanic for that issue.

The loud bang is normal, but I call it a 'thunk' sound. Let off on the gas rather than accelerate when going in or out of H4.

4WD is for low traction (slippery) conditions, do not use on DRY PAVEMENT. Turning on hard/ dry surfaces is not easy in 4WD because the front tires must rotate more than the back tires in a turn... and 4WD locks the front and back together, so steering would be hard if you were in 4WD and not on a surface that allows the tires to slip a bit in a turn.

Low Range (L4) is for slow crawling up grades when you need max. power to the tires to climb... or push through deep mud.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #23
YOTACO
lynnchpin is on a distinguished road

lynnchpin's Tacoma Gallery
Its been multiple surfaces, but usually wet or slightly muddy...with the exception of trying to figure out why I was getting that noise. Thanks for the input, Drew and Dave
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #24
YOTACO
lynnchpin is on a distinguished road

lynnchpin's Tacoma Gallery
FINALLY AN ANSWER

After several months and multiple trips to the dealer, come to find out there was a problem with the front differential. They claim to have found shavings inside. Other than that I couldn't get any other information. Most likely the result of the previous owner's abuse. For the record, I had never driven on dry pavement, only off road or gravel roads. I had never specified that, although it seemed like it was assumed.