1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4X4 Problem...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BuellRyder, May 13, 2011.

1. May 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    BuellRyder

BuellRyder [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TacomaTRD Sport
    Hello everyone. I have a 2007 TRD Sport Tacoma (Access Cab) and I am having problems with my 4X4. First, the 4x4 indicator light is flashing on the dash. Second, it will not go on 4x4 unless I turn the switch and then restart the truck with the switch on the position I want it to go to (4Hi or 4Lo). Then, when it does go to 4, the 4Hi still leaves the light indicator flashing. Then, when I switch to 4Low, it beeps but the truck is still on 4Hi. It also doesn't disengage the 4x4 very easy. I have 70,000 miles on the truck and the only thing I had to do on it was the clutch. I do wheel it a lot and often have to use the 4x4. Does anyone know what might be going on? The best part is when I took it to the Toyota dealership, nobody could figure it out and I basically paid $150 of diagnostic fees for nothing. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and have a great day. God bless...

2. May 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    BuellRyder

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TacomaTRD Sport
    I have never messed with an ADD before. Is it something that I can replace myself? Do I need to get a whole new transfer case? Also, what did you mean by watching the front drive shaft? Will I see it jerk or something?

3. May 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Do you know if there is any oil in transfer case or front diff ?

4. May 23, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    BuellRyder

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TacomaTRD Sport
    There was last time I checked it which was right when it happened. It switches to it but I have to turn the truck off first and then on but it only goes 4Hi even with 4Lo annoyingly beeps.

5. May 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    My brand new one was doing the same thing one day it refused to come out of 4 low blinking lights buzzer the whole 9 yards. I jacked it up wheels off the ground still would not come out finally disconnected the battery hooked it back up turn on the key and it came right out never moved it never started the engine. Took it to the dealer they called Toyota they gave me a list of things Toyota had them check bottom line they could not get it to lock up. I drove it around in their parking lot tried to get it to screw up and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I have no ideal if it will work for you but try disconnecting the battery and see what happens.

6. May 23, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The instruction card in your sun visor must be followed exactly, and the one key thing that is sub-conciously missed is: to get into L4 you must STOP and then put the tranny into NEUTRAL (NOT PARK!)... The same goes for getting out of L4.

If yours isn't automatic, the clutch must be depressed all the way in.

7. May 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    Bryan139

Bryan139 I have a spectacular aura

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport
    I cut some wires here. Added some wires there.
    He's been managing for 4 years without a problem

8. May 24, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I am capable of reading and I understand how the transfer case works, despite all of Toyota's instructions both the manual and the sun visor it still would not go into 4 low I'm 6'1" and have pretty long legs so it's not from lack pushing in the clutch and once I did get it to go in it would not come out. Yeah it beeped all right no matter what position the switch was in I changed nothing as far as my operation and now it works perfectly I don't know why but suspect it needed to be exercised as it was pretty much brand new why it came out when I disconnected the battery is also any ones guess but there is more to it then just shifting the transfer case it's tied into the traction control also.

9. May 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Not with the 6 spd you actually can be moving all be it very slowly like 2 mph least that's what Toyota says.

10. May 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Me too but that is what they say so you don't need to use the brake with a 6 spd other wise you would be stopped.

11. May 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    2MPH and stopped are the same thing

12. May 25, 2011 at 11:49 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I love Canadian logic! :D

13. May 26, 2011 at 12:07 AM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    try telling a cop that when you're "stopped" rolling thru a stop sign

14. May 26, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Sorry Dr. Serious

15. May 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Good point good thing I wasn't in a hurry.

16. Sep 1, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    lynnchpin

lynnchpin YOTACO

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4WD TRD Debadged
    ...later
    Here's mine...I have a fluctuating grinding sound from the front passenger wheel when NOT in 4WD (regardless if in 4L or 4H). As soon as I engage 4WD...no grind. It's a fluctuating grind increasing with speed that seems like a single roller inside a bearing is gouging the race as it rotates, but it disappears after 4WD is engaged. So I doubt its a bearing issue..unless 4WD forces the wheel to line up in such a way that it relieves any excess pressure on the bearing...if that's even possible. Important to note, a few times a very loud bang was noticed when I disengaged 4WD. Another point (which may not apply but...), I notice it is very hard to make turns with 4WD engaged. I have to gas it more to keep the RPMs up to keep moving forward and not kill the engine unless I press the clutch in time, but then the truck locks up as if I hit the brakes. Its as if something is creating excess resistence. This may be a normal occurance with 4WD, but being this is my first 4WD ever... So, either way, its going into the shop soon. But any input I can get on this matter will help me explain my situation better to the dealership

17. Sep 1, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do not use 4 wheel drive on surfaces you have grip. No pavement. You will damage it if you haven't already.

18. Sep 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    The grinding sound is possibly a joint failure or brake pad wear indicator. Take it to mechanic for that issue.

The loud bang is normal, but I call it a 'thunk' sound. Let off on the gas rather than accelerate when going in or out of H4.

4WD is for low traction (slippery) conditions, do not use on DRY PAVEMENT. Turning on hard/ dry surfaces is not easy in 4WD because the front tires must rotate more than the back tires in a turn... and 4WD locks the front and back together, so steering would be hard if you were in 4WD and not on a surface that allows the tires to slip a bit in a turn.

Low Range (L4) is for slow crawling up grades when you need max. power to the tires to climb... or push through deep mud.

19. Sep 2, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    lynnchpin

lynnchpin YOTACO

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4WD TRD Debadged
    ...later
    Its been multiple surfaces, but usually wet or slightly muddy...with the exception of trying to figure out why I was getting that noise. Thanks for the input, Drew and Dave

20. Mar 2, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    lynnchpin

lynnchpin YOTACO

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4WD TRD Debadged
    ...later
    After several months and multiple trips to the dealer, come to find out there was a problem with the front differential. They claim to have found shavings inside. Other than that I couldn't get any other information. Most likely the result of the previous owner's abuse. For the record, I had never driven on dry pavement, only off road or gravel roads. I had never specified that, although it seemed like it was assumed.

Products Discussed in

To Top