Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4X4 Problem...

Old 05-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
BuellRyder is on a distinguished road

BuellRyder's Tacoma Gallery
4X4 Problem...

Hello everyone. I have a 2007 TRD Sport Tacoma (Access Cab) and I am having problems with my 4X4. First, the 4x4 indicator light is flashing on the dash. Second, it will not go on 4x4 unless I turn the switch and then restart the truck with the switch on the position I want it to go to (4Hi or 4Lo). Then, when it does go to 4, the 4Hi still leaves the light indicator flashing. Then, when I switch to 4Low, it beeps but the truck is still on 4Hi. It also doesn't disengage the 4x4 very easy. I have 70,000 miles on the truck and the only thing I had to do on it was the clutch. I do wheel it a lot and often have to use the 4x4. Does anyone know what might be going on? The best part is when I took it to the Toyota dealership, nobody could figure it out and I basically paid $150 of diagnostic fees for nothing. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and have a great day. God bless...
Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Bad front ADD actuator or bad transfercase selector motor. I would say the ADD actuator. The light flashing means it is trying to shift in but it hasn't locked. Select 4wd hi and see if the front drive shaft moves.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

I have never messed with an ADD before. Is it something that I can replace myself? Do I need to get a whole new transfer case? Also, what did you mean by watching the front drive shaft? Will I see it jerk or something?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuellRyder View Post
Hello everyone. I have a 2007 TRD Sport Tacoma (Access Cab) and I am having problems with my 4X4. First, the 4x4 indicator light is flashing on the dash. Second, it will not go on 4x4 unless I turn the switch and then restart the truck with the switch on the position I want it to go to (4Hi or 4Lo). Then, when it does go to 4, the 4Hi still leaves the light indicator flashing. Then, when I switch to 4Low, it beeps but the truck is still on 4Hi. It also doesn't disengage the 4x4 very easy. I have 70,000 miles on the truck and the only thing I had to do on it was the clutch. I do wheel it a lot and often have to use the 4x4. Does anyone know what might be going on? The best part is when I took it to the Toyota dealership, nobody could figure it out and I basically paid $150 of diagnostic fees for nothing. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and have a great day. God bless...
Do you know if there is any oil in transfer case or front diff ?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

There was last time I checked it which was right when it happened. It switches to it but I have to turn the truck off first and then on but it only goes 4Hi even with 4Lo annoyingly beeps.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
My brand new one was doing the same thing one day it refused to come out of 4 low blinking lights buzzer the whole 9 yards. I jacked it up wheels off the ground still would not come out finally disconnected the battery hooked it back up turn on the key and it came right out never moved it never started the engine. Took it to the dealer they called Toyota they gave me a list of things Toyota had them check bottom line they could not get it to lock up. I drove it around in their parking lot tried to get it to screw up and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I have no ideal if it will work for you but try disconnecting the battery and see what happens.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
My brand new one was doing the same thing one day it refused to come out of 4 low blinking lights buzzer the whole 9 yards. I jacked it up wheels off the ground still would not come out finally disconnected the battery hooked it back up turn on the key and it came right out never moved it never started the engine. Took it to the dealer they called Toyota they gave me a list of things Toyota had them check bottom line they could not get it to lock up. I drove it around in their parking lot tried to get it to screw up and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I have no ideal if it will work for you but try disconnecting the battery and see what happens.
Beeping means you missed a step.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuellRyder View Post
There was last time I checked it which was right when it happened. It switches to it but I have to turn the truck off first and then on but it only goes 4Hi even with 4Lo annoyingly beeps.
The instruction card in your sun visor must be followed exactly, and the one key thing that is sub-conciously missed is: to get into L4 you must STOP and then put the tranny into NEUTRAL (NOT PARK!)... The same goes for getting out of L4.

If yours isn't automatic, the clutch must be depressed all the way in.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
I have a spectacular aura
Bryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud of

Bryan139's Tacoma Gallery
He's been managing for 4 years without a problem
Old 05-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I am capable of reading and I understand how the transfer case works, despite all of Toyota's instructions both the manual and the sun visor it still would not go into 4 low I'm 6'1" and have pretty long legs so it's not from lack pushing in the clutch and once I did get it to go in it would not come out. Yeah it beeped all right no matter what position the switch was in I changed nothing as far as my operation and now it works perfectly I don't know why but suspect it needed to be exercised as it was pretty much brand new why it came out when I disconnected the battery is also any ones guess but there is more to it then just shifting the transfer case it's tied into the traction control also.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
Banned
You also have to be on the brake. But who knows. It could have been a minor hiccup. If it happens again take video.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Not with the 6 spd you actually can be moving all be it very slowly like 2 mph least that's what Toyota says.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Not with the 6 spd you actually can be moving all be it very slowly like 2 mph least that's what Toyota says.
Yes but you might as well stop instead of trying to maintain 2mph. It always works for me when I stop because I select 4wd high when moving then stop for low.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Me too but that is what they say so you don't need to use the brake with a 6 spd other wise you would be stopped.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #16
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
2MPH and stopped are the same thing
I love Canadian logic!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #17
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
try telling a cop that when you're "stopped" rolling thru a stop sign
Old 05-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #18
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessler89 View Post
try telling a cop that when you're "stopped" rolling thru a stop sign
Sorry Dr. Serious
Old 05-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good point good thing I wasn't in a hurry.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
YOTACO
lynnchpin is on a distinguished road

lynnchpin's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mine...I have a fluctuating grinding sound from the front passenger wheel when NOT in 4WD (regardless if in 4L or 4H). As soon as I engage 4WD...no grind. It's a fluctuating grind increasing with speed that seems like a single roller inside a bearing is gouging the race as it rotates, but it disappears after 4WD is engaged. So I doubt its a bearing issue..unless 4WD forces the wheel to line up in such a way that it relieves any excess pressure on the bearing...if that's even possible. Important to note, a few times a very loud bang was noticed when I disengaged 4WD. Another point (which may not apply but...), I notice it is very hard to make turns with 4WD engaged. I have to gas it more to keep the RPMs up to keep moving forward and not kill the engine unless I press the clutch in time, but then the truck locks up as if I hit the brakes. Its as if something is creating excess resistence. This may be a normal occurance with 4WD, but being this is my first 4WD ever... So, either way, its going into the shop soon. But any input I can get on this matter will help me explain my situation better to the dealership