Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Diff Breather Mod for Dummies (Pics)

Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #21
txusa03 is on a distinguished road
txusa03's Tacoma Gallery
dumb ?, but does a 2x4 have a diff breather? I guess I could crawl under the truck and investigate (but I rather take my chances asking online).
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #22
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
dumb ?, but does a 2x4 have a diff breather? I guess I could crawl under the truck and investigate (but I rather take my chances asking online).
yes.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #23
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post

I decided to do this on my PreRunner due to the excessive flooding we get in SA. While I had my last pickup I was in the process of rounding up some equipment on the job site when we suddenly had a massive downpour of rain. Before i knew it the only route i had back to high ground was covered with 4+ feet of still water that had collected in a rock basin cut by the milling machine. water was over half way up the doors, but i made it through.... with some water in the rear axle as an end result.

Seems to me like its well worth the very cheap insurance if you could possibly be in situations where your axle will be submerged.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #24
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
Quick Questions:
1. How high off the ground is the rear diff breather located? Or, what depth of water would it take to reach the diff breather?
2. Isn't this mod only solving half the problem? Where is the front diff breather located?

Take some time to watch the video on page 1, post #13 by Peircedtiger. This will give you some incite into different ways this mod can be achieved (re-location of breathers). The write up is only depicting the re-location of the rear diff. breather, but the same can be done for the front. I would imagine you would want to keep tubing to a minimum and place the re-located breather under the hood somewhere.

Take a look under your truck and you will see exactly where the diff breather is located. When viewed from the rear of the truck, it is on to top of the axle housing, directly to the left of the pumpkin. You cant miss it. As for the height of the breather, this is relative to your tire size.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #25
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. I tend to stay away from deep water due to where the alternator is located in this truck. That would be an expensive fix!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #26
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
Quick Questions:
1. How high off the ground is the rear diff breather located? Or, what depth of water would it take to reach the diff breather?
2. Isn't this mod only solving half the problem? Where is the front diff breather located?
I believe the front ones were relocated at the factory. Somewhere around the battery there are 2 tubes with breathers in them. Which only begs the question of why Toyota would extend the front, but not the rear?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #27
Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.
Neubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Neubs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I believe the front ones were relocated at the factory. Somewhere around the battery there are 2 tubes with breathers in them. Which only begs the question of why Toyota would extend the front, but not the rear?
Yes I think you are right: Here is a picture of a trans breather that has been extended to just behind the block.

Here is another picture of two front breather I found on the driver's side fender.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #28
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Would it matter much if I relocated to the large cubby hole in the drivers side of the bed? Just seems like an easier place to get to. How does the little cubby pop out? is that 3m type tape i see in neubs OP?
Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #30
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Would it matter much if I relocated to the large cubby hole in the drivers side of the bed? Just seems like an easier place to get to. How does the little cubby pop out? is that 3m type tape i see in neubs OP?
I would want the breather relocated somewhere that's weather resistant (i.e. under the hood or otherwise not directly exposed to precipitation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
So keep in mind I am new to this stuff. What is the purpose of doing this mod??
Watch the video on the first page of the thread. Air in diffs heats up with use. Air expands. Diff breather pops open to keep pressure from building up in the diff and keep anything from overheating. If you drive directly into water that submerges the axle with a hot diff and open breather, there's a high possibility of getting water into the diff where it does what water does to metal. This mod drastically reduces the chances of that.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #31
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Air in diffs heats up with use. Air expands. Diff breather pops open to keep pressure from building up in the diff and keep anything from overheating.
Actually it doesn't stop over heating, it stops pressure building up and blowing oil past your seals.

I know this because I had a 63 International that had leaking seals replaced 3 times when finally a smart mechanic pulled the diff breather and discovered that it was plugged
Old 06-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #32
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
Actually it doesn't stop over heating, it stops pressure building up and blowing oil past your seals.

Quote:
Watch the video on the first page of the thread. Air in diffs heats up with use. Air expands. Diff breather pops open to keep pressure from building up in the diff and keep anything from overheating. If you drive directly into water that submerges the axle with a hot diff and open breather, there's a high possibility of getting water into the diff where it does what water does to metal. This mod drastically reduces the chances of that.

*cough*
Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #33
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would want the breather relocated somewhere that's weather resistant (i.e. under the hood or otherwise not directly exposed to precipitation).
umm yea.....thats what the large cubby on the driver side with the door covering it is.......

And also, "not directly exposed to weather" is not the purpose of this mod. I believe the purpose is that when you dip your hot diff. under water, things dont contract from the sudden temp change and suck in water. If it needed to be out of the weather why the hell would they just stick it on the side of the diff. in the first place
Old 06-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
umm yea.....thats what the large cubby on the driver side with the door covering it is.......
I think I was confused about whether you meant one of the cubbies with a closure cover or just one of the open boxes.

Quote:
And also, "not directly exposed to weather" is not the purpose of this mod. I believe the purpose is that when you dip your hot diff. under water, things dont contract from the sudden temp change and suck in water. If it needed to be out of the weather why the hell would they just stick it on the side of the diff. in the first place
Maybe I'm having trouble thinking clearly, but under the vehicle and on top of the axle is rarely exposed to direct rain/snow/etcfall. Potentially some moisture could get thrown its way, but this is rarely an issue in the middle of the undercarriage...more the lateral regions closer to the tires.

My point is, yes, the idea is to keep water out of the diff, so I wouldn't put it anywhere that it might be rained/snowed directly *on*. Paranoia/overkill? Probably, but if you're going to bother doing it, why not do it super right?

Anyway, if you're mounting in one of the covered cubbies, go for it.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #35
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
*cough*
http://www.ricola.com/
Old 06-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Mines in the open cubbie on the drivers side. It doesn't hardly get wet when it rains, probably less than the bottom of your truck while driving in the rain.

The point of moving the breather is to keep it from opening up and sucking in water when the temp inside your diff changes drastically. In the cubbie it won't suck in water unless you are in some REALLY deep water... and then you will have other issues.
Like you-better-have-a-snorkel issues, yeah.

Quick question for anyone here who may know: I plan to relocate the rear diff, transfer case, and tranny breathers soon as my truck gets back from having the TSB done.

Does anyone happen to know if the transfer case and tranny use the same size fittings as the diffs (i.e. the Camry union fitting part #90404-51026)? If not, does anyone have the part #/beta for the fittings that will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post

Ha! Laughed out loud at that one. Touche sir!

This is why I love this place - people seem to have a sense of humor here.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Not sure, I do know that getting to those fittings is a ROYAL PITA! My hands are too big.. its up pretty high on the back of the transmission. I could hardly even see them. I was going to do it but said screw it... if the water is that high I'm probably in too deep.
Which is a distinct possibility for me. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons. I have the advantage of having small girly-man hands, but the disadvantage of being lazy.

Nice ass truck by the way - read through your build today. YGPM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #38
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I have been meaning to do this since I put my truck under water up to the inspection stickers on the windshield
Old 06-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #39
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
Question: as for the breathers in the front...couldnt you get away with just extending the hose and keeping those breathers rather than buying more? i understand why for the rear diff jsut not for the ones in the engine compartment.

Also i seen the pics of the trans and the 2 others that were next to eachother. i assume one is the front diff and the other is the...transfer case??(spoken in Ron Burgandy style)

And are those the only other 3 we have to worry about.

thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #40

I have to look over my truck, but as I understand it, the front diff breather is already relocated to the engine bay. The rear diff and transfer case are not. The tranny...might be?

I also believe you can keep the breathers that are installed and just extend them as long as you have the appropriate amount of line and fittings to take their place in the diffs themselves.