Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Diff Breather Mod for Dummies (Pics)

Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #381
samiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
samiam's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Diff Breather in Tail Light Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by matjeka View Post
I did it this weekend as well, but placed the breather inside the left tail light cavity...no drilling required. I ran the breather hose from the differential over the top of the spare tire mount then up into the tail light housing by following the wire harness. Be sure to leave some slack for movement. Then zip tied the hose to one of the bolts. Secured the hose at various point along the way.

The hose going up into the tail light housing through the hole for the wiring harness
(looking up toward the corner of the rear bumper)

The new breather location

Zip tied to a bolt for security

Wasp nest...I should have left it

Updated with larger pictures
Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #382
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matjeka View Post
Updated with larger pictures
My only concern would be, that if you didn't need to drill any holes, it means the area is open and if you splash through puddles, if you splash when it's open, that you'll suck water in Looks to me like water spots in that area
Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #383
samiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
samiam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
My only concern would be, that if you didn't need to drill any holes, it means the area is open and if you splash through puddles, if you splash when it's open, that you'll suck water in Looks to me like water spots in that area
I'm not sure if they are water spots or not, but seems to be more secure than the engine bay for the front and overflowing gasoline could contaminate the gas cap position. I don't know of any absolutely secure place except for inside the cab.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #384
NuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NuTacoma18's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone determined why there are two different type of breathers on the from differential. One is spring loaded like the rear and the other one is a two way breather like the rear mod mounted together. From all of the online part illustrations it shows the two way breather going to the housing of the frnt differential but every illustration I look at does not show where then spring loaded breather line goes. It does not show it going to the diff. It's the thin line. Does anyone ave a pick to where this line is attaching?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #385
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
I also placed mine inside the space behind the tail light and up underneath the top rail of the bed. I'm fairly certain no water can get in that location. I moved it from the gas cap compartment because water was getting in there.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #386
NuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNuTacoma18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well I finally did it. Put it in rear bed storage compartment....
Attached Thumbnails
Diff Breather Mod for Dummies (Pics)-image.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #387
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
This is where I mounted mine.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #388
Alloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to behold

Alloutdrs1's Tacoma Gallery
When i did my rear breather mod i duplicated the front breather setup and ordered the bracket,clip, bolt and then i mounted this inside my bed compartment. It makes it a little bit more secure then just sticking it through the side and hanging there.
Attached Thumbnails
Diff Breather Mod for Dummies (Pics)-phone-8-20-525.jpg   Diff Breather Mod for Dummies (Pics)-phone-8-20-584.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTacoma18 View Post
Has anyone determined why there are two different type of breathers on the from differential. One is spring loaded like the rear and the other one is a two way breather like the rear mod mounted together. From all of the online part illustrations it shows the two way breather going to the housing of the frnt differential but every illustration I look at does not show where then spring loaded breather line goes. It does not show it going to the diff. It's the thin line. Does anyone ave a pick to where this line is attaching?
Never mind I was able to track the small one goes to the actuator for the diff and the large one to a port in the diff.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #390
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Completed this mod today. Was going to run it up to the rear light but went with the storage compartment. If water makes it up to that point there are bigger concerns then the diff breather IMO.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #391
Chris b.
western88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
western88's Tacoma Gallery
done this mod today.. ran the hose behind the rear light frame. pretty much like the other had done this fashion...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #392
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
So is everyone ordering
90404-51319 (This Thread )
or
90404-51026 (OP said this)

with 90930-03136

What the hell?! I ordered what the OP said to use.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #393
Yoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to all

Air Force: Space Professional
Name: Scott
Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
So is everyone ordering
or

with 90930-03136

+1, I ordered the OP's version of parts... does it matter? It looks like the 51026 is plastic and the 51319 is metal?

EDIT: so one of them is painted black and the other is not? Sounds like it doesn't really matter which setup you run...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #394
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So is everyone ordering
or

with 90930-03136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshio View Post
+1, I ordered the OP's version of parts... does it matter? It looks like the 51026 is plastic and the 51319 is metal?

EDIT: so one of them is painted black and the other is not? Sounds like it doesn't really matter which setup you run...
Here's a picture of the parts with #'s
I used 51026 & 03136

Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #395
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post
Here's a picture of the parts with #'s
I used 51026 & 03136

Thank you!!! Finely someone clarifies the difference.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #396
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you!!! Finely someone clarifies the difference.
yep, 51319 and 03136 with 5/16" ID hose is the best way to go imo

but i actually used 03136 and 51026 with 5/16" ID. 5/16 is a little to large for 51206 and 1/4" is a little to small for 03136 but i wasn't going to pay for new parts and it is a good enough fit
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #397
Kick A$$ Member

Just completed this today! Thanks for the write up!

Old 04-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #398
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine today

Did my mod today only my location is the storage box in the rear on drivers side if you open the little door you will see it. One other thing besides having enough hose for axle travel is keep it off the brake hoses you dont want any rubbing there. I put a space of a good 3 inches away from them. Worst part for me is removing spare tire. You can do it with it on but I wanted to check my spare and clean up around it.
Finding that spot the hook goes in in a bit of a pain but a flashlight helps.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #399
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I am thinkin about mounting mine to the top of my spare tire mount...i'm a prerunner and honestly if i'm over the tire mount, I probably have more issues than just my rear diff breathing...ie. stuck....is this an okay location?...
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #400
I'm undefeated in the UFC.
PerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pepe Silvia
PerfectTekniq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
I am thinkin about mounting mine to the top of my spare tire mount...i'm a prerunner and honestly if i'm over the tire mount, I probably have more issues than just my rear diff breathing...ie. stuck....is this an okay location?...
If you do it just do it right and go as high as you can. People don't like the gas door because sometimes when pumping gas it wont let the nozzle properly seal. The cubby will be easy and do good for your needs.