Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Diff Breather Mod for Dummies (Pics)

Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #401
mountain bike haulin' & off camping
kbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant future

Name: Kevin
kbraunphoto's Tacoma Gallery
Went ahead and bought these parts, cost me $21.02!!!!
thats a joke!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #402
custom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to all

Army: 5/19 SFG(A)
custom90gt's Tacoma Gallery
The only problem I see with this is that beer is optional. Come on now.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #403
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
I am thinkin about mounting mine to the top of my spare tire mount...i'm a prerunner and honestly if i'm over the tire mount, I probably have more issues than just my rear diff breathing...ie. stuck....is this an okay location?...
Your choice, but I wouldn't. You don't need to be 4 wheeling to run through lots of water.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #404
Stockmonester is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Stockmonester's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stockmonester
Im changing out my rear diff fluid so i figured do this mod while im under the truck. Instead of getting 1/4 fuel line i got 1/4 clear plastic line, looks bout half as thick. My question will that be take the heat and pressure coming out of the rear or is it just going to melt?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #405
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmonester View Post
Im changing out my rear diff fluid so i figured do this mod while im under the truck. Instead of getting 1/4 fuel line i got 1/4 clear plastic line, looks bout half as thick. My question will that be take the heat and pressure coming out of the rear or is it just going to melt?
I'd go get some fuel line. It's not that $$ and I wouldn't want to take the chance of it melting or getting torn up...
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #406
sounds good didnt think about that till after i bought it, got it from lowes so ill just return it
Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #407
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmonester View Post

I've been running some clear/white line from HD for 7 years now. No problems.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #408
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks wise one.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #409
Easiest mod yet ran the line up the brake line, back on top of the frame then up to the back of the front corner of the drivers side cubby. I tighten the union on the axle bout three fingers tight then another quarter turn, is that tight enough?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #411
FlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Joe
FlashCulprit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by custom90gt View Post
The only problem I see with this is that beer is optional. Come on now.
Glad to see someone feels the same way I do. How else am I gonna keep cool on these hot summer days!?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #412
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question. I went wheeling a week ago, and stopped in some fairly deep muddy water (getting close to my door sills) to try and practice getting out if I get stuck in deep water/mud.

Is my diff now flooded and full of mud? Did I royally f*ck up and now need to flush my diff, or can I just add the breather mod for the future?

Edit: Crawled around under my truck, I don't think it got that deep. I did get an underbody wash, but judging by the mud splatters on the diff, that didn't do anything, and the area around the breather is clean.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #413
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I assume you haven't done this mod?....I would recommend cleaning it.. just cause you don't know.. there will always be that what if.. even if it didn't look like it..
Old 07-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #414
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I assume you haven't done this mod?
No, not yet.

Quote:
I would recommend cleaning it
Cleaning what? Is it even possible to clean diff fluid?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #415
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2mki View Post
No, not yet.

Cleaning what? Is it even possible to clean diff fluid?
Remove and Replace. Not worth taking a chance.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #416
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Quick question. I went wheeling a week ago, and stopped in some fairly deep muddy water (getting close to my door sills) to try and practice getting out if I get stuck in deep water/mud.

Is my diff now flooded and full of mud? Did I royally f*ck up and now need to flush my diff, or can I just add the breather mod for the future?

Edit: Crawled around under my truck, I don't think it got that deep. I did get an underbody wash, but judging by the mud splatters on the diff, that didn't do anything, and the area around the breather is clean.

Doesn't matter if your breather was clean or not. The whole point of this mod is because the stock breather snaps closed when the diff cools quickly, and causes water to get sucked in through the oil seals. So if ANY part of the diff got wet you're at risk.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #417
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Doesn't matter if your breather was clean or not. The whole point of this mod is because the stock breather snaps closed when the diff cools quickly, and causes water to get sucked in through the oil seals. So if ANY part of the diff got wet you're at risk.
Eh? So how does relocating the breather fix the oil seals problem?
Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #418
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
you put a real breather out of the water and when it cools down fast, it sucks in air instead of water
Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #419
Devout Atheist

Quote:
You replaced the breather that shuts with one that doesn't, and move it higher so the diff can still breath while it cools to equalize pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mXzRPUUPjg
Old 07-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #420
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, I see! So Toyota probably used a breather that shuts on purpose, thinking "Ah, if the diff is submerged water won't get in!". But the oil seals then become the weak link, and water gets in anyway.

Well, I already flushed the fluid. Didn't see anything that looked like mud or water, but it was murky and full of first-break-in shavings anyway, given the truck is still new. I'll be avoiding deep puddles until the parts needed for this mod arrive.

It's a good thing I bought extra fluid, btw- my diff sucked up a good 3.5 quarts.