1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Differential Breather Mod for Dummies (Pics)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Neubs, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I was told this once but kinda forgot. how i remeber it was they(infamous they) said the transfer and trans was routed up behind th eengine by the firewall but it was low and a pita to get to. the front dif was routed near the battery i believe they said..i'm going to take a look at my posts and see if i can track this down.

as for keeping the breather by fittings you meant the ones that will link the extension hose right? because if they are already there like in those pics here, then all i should have to do is extend the hose...all i would need is some hose and hoseclamps in my hand i would think? the rear diff however is just sticking out of the houseing so you would obviously need the breather and union.

edit: found it
    so those 2 are the front diff and ADD. i wonder if the tranny and trans breathers are set up like the rear diff? or are they actually extended a bit.
    i take it now that there is 4 in the front.
    1.front diff
    2.ADD
    3.Tranny
    4.Transfer Case
    Am I wrong? someone teach me
    what the hell is this 3rd one then? he has an 06.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  2. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Diffs that are already relocated should just need additional line if you want to move them further....anything that is still on the diff/case itself is going to need a new union to go in-situ.

3. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    roger did you look at my edit? weigh in on that please

4. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:29 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Yeah I noted those breathers on inspection when taking delivery of my '09. I knew one was the front diff, haven't had a chance to look into the others yet (had the truck for a couple busy days before heading right back to the dealer to get the rear leaf TSB out of the way early) and see what they connect to.

Supposed to get the truck back tomorrow or Sat at the latest, going to spend some time this weekend eyeballing breathers that can/need to be relocated. Will report back when I have some answers.

Edit: And my name's not Roger :)

5. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    cool maybe i'll do the same this weekend.
    its funny how verbal habits will happen even when youre typing:D

6. Jun 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    Neubs

Neubs [OP] Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    I saw somewhere where a Tacoma owner ran the diff breather line to the rear driver's side storage box in the bed of the truck and bolted the breather fitting near the top of the box to keep the water out. I think you have lots of options in doing this. The bed cubby comes out by pulling the box up and then out. Yes, It is held in place by 3M tape but sits in a groove so the 3M tape is not the only mechanism keeping the pocket from falling out. Hope this helps. :)

7. Jun 26, 2009 at 3:57 AM
    is it windy yet?

is it windy yet? Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston On
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Speedway blue
    extang trifecta tonneau, tinted windows, side step bars, sill plates, bug deflector, TRD exhaust, K&N filter, carbon fiber CD surround, tow kit, it's a Canadian truck so the TSB 4 leaf springs and bilstiens were done at the factory, vent visors, ipod adapter, and weather tech mats.

Are those wires coming from the front of your differential for an e-locker? Can you tell I don't have one if I don't even know what it looks like?

Thanks

8. Jun 26, 2009 at 5:07 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    yep thats what I was looking for. Thanks neubs

9. Jun 26, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    Neubs

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    Yes sir! That is my E-Locker. :)

Anytime! :cheers:

10. Aug 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    Ese Loco

Ese Loco Taco Man Sam

Member:
    Vero Beach, FL / Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4 V6 6-speed
    Legal Florida Tint all-around, 1.5" add-a-leaf, bilstein 5100 rear shocks, Light Racing Coilovers, Removed secondary air filter, K&N airfilter, Amsoil 100% synthetic motor oil, Amsoil synthetic severe gear in rear differential, Differential breather mod, Painted rims and logo's black, amsoil oil filter
    if you have an e-locker, do you also need to extend its breather? does it have one?

11. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

As I understand it, the e-locker is an electronic locking pin that takes the rear diff from "open" to "closed"...the equipment is electronic, and the pin itself is in the diff. No add'l breather req'd.

12. Oct 10, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    thread revival! dumb ?, are the unioin and braether part #'s the same for a first gen? also did anyone order them from toyotaparts4u.com?

13. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    Neubs

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    A little late but I think the part is the same. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Here is another link:

http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/jackson_breather/breather.htm

Yup it looks like the same part work for 1st generations too. Here is a link:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8227

Post number 9 on the referenced thread notes:

Parts/Materials Needed:
    1 Toyota part number 90404-51026 Listed as a "Union" at a cost of $4.19 in January of 2002.
    8 feet of 1/4" rubber fuel line
    2 small hose clamps
    A few nylon wire (zip) ties

14. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    Ronin

Ronin iTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Rockwall, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    low range leveling kit
    This will be my next mod...hopefully will complete this weekend.

15. Nov 3, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    great job,i wished i would have seen this before i did mine...........i mounted mine in the cowl of my evinrude.

16. Nov 6, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    Ronin

Ronin iTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Rockwall, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    low range leveling kit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just did the mod.

Also changed the dif while I was at it.

17. Nov 13, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    akwagon

akwagon Alaska Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    alaska
    Vehicle:
    08 Access 5spd 4x4
    5100, kazktin leather, truxedo

Do you have any slack on the line? It looks pulled tight. First time off road its going to pull apart or break something

18. Nov 15, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Was thinking the exact same thing....you want some bend, flex in that line.

Doesn't have to be a ton, because the pumpkin is pretty much the axis of side <--> side articulation, but you'd want to allow for at least six inches of travel for the diff.

It's hard to see in this photo, but off to the left there's a fair amount of slack hose to allow axle travel:

[​IMG]

19. Nov 15, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Did you photoshop the tube to make it yellow and stand out or can you buy it like that anywhere ?

[

20. Nov 15, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    It's 3/8" ID 5/8" OD high pressure hosing. You can get it at your local hardware/home improvement store. Lowes happened to have stock only in yellow.

The big advantage is it's almost impossible to kink or collapse, so you can route it through a cutout in the frame like I did to keep the routing clean without having to worry about whether or not it will get shifted and kinked closed during enthusiastic driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top