Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tool box for truck bed

Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Tool box for truck bed

Hello Folks,

I am currently saving money to purchase a Tacoma (double cab, V6). I have never owned a truck before. I would like to know if there is a tool box available for this truck that does not sit over the edge of the bed, in otherwords one that is flush with the height of the bed.

I may decide to use a Tonneau cover later on & would not want the box to hinder the cover. BTW, can the box be secured to the bed & is rust an issue? Any good brands I should know of? Any recommendations or suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
most of the toolboxes will come out a little on each side and rest on the top of the bed but ive seen some guys get smaller ones that sit inside but i think the ones that come out are pretty cool looking rather than ones inside the bed just my opinion
Old 05-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
most of the toolboxes will come out a little on each side and rest on the top of the bed but ive seen some guys get smaller ones that sit inside but i think the ones that come out are pretty cool looking rather than ones inside the bed just my opinion
The OP wants to get a tonneau cover
Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The OP wants to get a tonneau cover
OHH! sorry i didnt read the whole thing, my bad welcome to TW OP!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery

Do you mean something like this? They sell these at Joes for about $200, my neighbor has one in his ranger and its about the same height as the bed rails.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
mine sits on the bed sides, but they also make tool chests. UWS is the company. uwsta.com
Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
DizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant future
Navy:
Name: Dennis
DizzyZ's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought this box

http://www.uwsta.com/products/produc...5326.0.0?pp=12&

I got it for $250, and it fits perfectly between the wheel wells and a couple inches below the side rails. I will try to get a picture for you tomorrow. It almost looks like it was made for a tacoma, but I actually think it was made for a stepside ranger... I too plan on getting a tonneau cover and wanted a box that would fit under it.

Edit: I found another poster who has the same (I think) box as me... Here is the link to his thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...rfect-fit.html

Edit Again: Here are the pictures of the box so you don't have to click on the link above... Not my truck, but the same box. I hope HAYNSTYLE808 doesn't mind me posting a picture of his truck...

Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
Here is one from Tractor Supply Store. It was $99. Just bolted it thru the bed. I like it alot and plenty of room in it.
NICE. Exactly what I've been looking for.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
VERY NICE! All of you have been very helpful. I especially like the link that DizzyZ posted. Thats what I am looking for.
I do have 4 questions though.

Does it sit all the way towards the back or did you have to leave a gap large enough for the lid to open & not touch the back window when its opened 90 degrees?

What are the dimensions of the box?

Do you happen to have a part # for it?

Does it keep water out?

Thanks to ALL OF YOU for your help.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Here's another option for you. Some surplus boxes should fit pretty well and you can still use the length of the bed.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
DizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant futureDizzyZ has a brilliant future
Navy:
DizzyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
Does it sit all the way towards the back or did you have to leave a gap large enough for the lid to open & not touch the back window when its opened 90 degrees?
You will probably have to set it forward an inch or so... I know I have to, but I modified mine so it doesn't sit all the way down on the bed. I rigged mine up on a track system so I can pull it to the back of the bed to load and unload tools... I plan on posting a write up on this after this weekend.

Quote:
What are the dimensions of the box?

Quote:
Do you happen to have a part # for it?
UWS box #TBS-54-SPLA

Quote:
Does it keep water out?
I just mounted mine, so I don't know for sure, but I doubt water will be an issue. It is a very well built box.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #13
haynstyle808 is on a distinguished road
haynstyle808's Tacoma Gallery
as you can see from the pic how i did it
. it keeps water out well. i love this box. keeps the sporty look of the truck. you wont be dissappointed
Old 05-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #14
Navy:
DizzyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by haynstyle808 View Post
. it keeps water out well. i love this box. keeps the sporty look of the truck. you wont be dissappointed
I'm glad to see you in this thread. I hope you didn't mind me using your pictures
Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
jcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud of
jcayce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by haynstyle808 View Post
Thank you for doing the homework on this then having the balls to order it. I would also like to purchase this box BUT I want the gullwing version. Is there enough room on the sides of the box for me to get to the latches (moved to the side for the gw version)?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
JWCWV is on a distinguished road
JWCWV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyZ View Post
You will probably have to set it forward an inch or so... I know I have to, but I modified mine so it doesn't sit all the way down on the bed. I rigged mine up on a track system so I can pull it to the back of the bed to load and unload tools... I plan on posting a write up on this after this weekend.

UWS box #TBS-54-SPLA

I just mounted mine, so I don't know for sure, but I doubt water will be an issue. It is a very well built box.
Did you by any change get around to mounting your tool box on a track system? I am considering a similar set up!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #18
docjake has a spectacular aura aboutdocjake has a spectacular aura aboutdocjake has a spectacular aura about

docjake's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious about the actual dimensions of this box, Toyota says that between the fenders they are 41.5 inches wide
http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html

UWS says this box is 42 inches wide, it is a great looking box and I will probably get this one I am just trying to figure out who can't use a ruler.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #19
Navy:
DizzyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCWV View Post
Did you by any change get around to mounting your tool box on a track system? I am considering a similar set up!

I did mount it on a track system, and it was GREAT! Any time I needed to get in the box, I just pulled a dog leash I had attached to it, and it came to the back of the bed. This made it EASY to get stuff in and out of it. I made it so it could be locked into position at the front or back of the bed also.

However, I ended up taking it down because I have it loaded up with a lot of stuff, and need to modify my design a little... I will try to take some pictures and start a thread about it later this week (I am working these next few, and don't get home until after dark). I will try to take a lot of pictures and let you know what did and did not work... I will send you a PM when I post the thread.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #20
Navy:
DizzyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjake View Post
Just curious about the actual dimensions of this box, Toyota says that between the fenders they are 41.5 inches wide
http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html

UWS says this box is 42 inches wide, it is a great looking box and I will probably get this one I am just trying to figure out who can't use a ruler.

I don't have my truck or the box, so I can't tell you for sure, but I remember when I was ordering it I ordered it based on the dimentions of the box on the website, and then I measured my bed with a tape measure, and determined it would fit... The bed measures 42" between wheel wells at the bottom if I remember correctly.