1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Deluxe Winch Bar Bumper questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by puttdog, May 13, 2011.

1. May 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    puttdog

puttdog [OP] Member

Member:
    hi folks,

I hope this is an appropriate place to post my question. Somebody scraped up my front bumper and their insurance is ready to just cut me a check. Instead of using the money to replace it OEM, I was thinking of getting an ARB Deluxe Winch Bar Bumper. Few questions:

1) ARB looks like a solid choice, should I consider any other vendors?
    2) Can I reuse my current OEM fog lights on the ARB?
    3) Can I add the winch later without taking the bumper back off? What sized winch should I get, 8000lbs or bigger?

Any other considerations I should be aware of? I've got a stock 2006 double cab with Snugtop shell, this would be my first real mod.

thanks much!
    alex

2. May 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Welcome ,

you might wanna get this moved to 2nd Gens

The ARB bumper is heavy and most running it upgrade their front suspension , have you considered this ?

3. May 13, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    relentless and allpro are my favorites. I think they are lighter than the arb as well. I'm pretty sure all of them require you to remove it to install a winch.

4. May 14, 2011 at 12:53 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    1. Maybe. There are many options out there (only a few are mentions often here), they all cost similarly.
    2. Not to my knowledge.
    3. Yes, you will only need to drop the skid plate and muscle it into place. 8000 - 9500 should be perfect. Non integrated solenoid.

The ARB with a winch is a heavy combo you should consider upgrading the front coils if you want to maintain your current ride height.

ARB
    Relentless
    CBI
    Demello
    Allpro
    Shrockworks
    Road Armor
    Elite Off Road
    I'm pretty sure there are more I can't think of but...
    Find the ones with the lines you like best and go for it.

I really like my ARB...

5. May 14, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    TacoIII

TacoIII Mr. Boombastic

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albuqerque
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4 off road package
    3" OME 886 coils, ARB bumper warn M8000, Lightforce 240's and 255/85 16 KM2, Redline hood struts,arb twin air compressor, 4.88's, Tepui kukenam, Pelfreybilt bed rack and rear high clearance with swing out, and custom offroad bodywork
    Arb is a great choice. i love mine. im sure there are some other good bumpers out there to but i have no experience with them. I run a Warn M8000 in my arb in it is perfect for me. Your oem fogs willnot work but you have the option to add some lights to make up for what you lost. I bolted on a pair of Lightforce 240 blitz, and they are awesome. Like it was stated earlier i would recomend a suspension upgrade because you aare going to sag 1+ inch. I got the OME 886 kit and it gave me around 2 inches lift

6. May 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I installed my winch with the bumper on as well.

You have to remove the skid plate thing under the bumper to get at the bottom (This will be obvious, but careful not to lose the captive nut things since they tend to fall off)

[​IMG]

It would have been maybe 100000x easier with 2 guys haha. Also oddly enough the winch rope hole is not in the proper place so you may have to trim it down a bit (I haven't done this yet). Then I'm going to attach the fairlead on the bottom winch bolts.

Good luck!

7. May 14, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    ARBs aren't designed to run hawse fairleads.

8. May 14, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    swissrallyman

swissrallyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    yes you can run the factory fog lights, you just need the ARB foglight kit, and the bumper with the foglight options.

Taking the bumper off to mount is easy, only 8 or so bolts.

9. May 14, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    #2. Nope, but you'll be one step ahead since you can utilize the your current fog light switch/wiring. You need to use the ARB fogs, specific to that bumper.

[​IMG]

10. May 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I have a roller fairlead. It doesn't fit either. The only way to make one work is to drill 2 new holes lower on the fairlead to center it over the hole.

I'm just going to take the plasma cutter and cut the square hole in the bumper lower and just bolt the hawse fairlead to the lower bolts. As far as I can tell it will still wrap fine.

11. May 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    qnyla

qnyla Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    #1 I liked the ARB best, but as others have mentioned there are other options. You really need to consider upgrading your front suspension before putting any of these heavy bumpers on.

#2 You can use your stock fog light switch and wiring, but the ARB requires a $70 foglight kit, but the ARB fogs are better than the stock Toyota fog lights.

#3 Not sure. I was told I would have to remove bumper to install winch.

JBAC6707-TO.jpg

12. May 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    jeepmor

jeepmor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stumptown
    ARB's are solid and have been the standard bolt on for a couple decades. And they are Roo tested. I particularly like the bars over the headlights should a deer or bigger jump in front of my vehicle at speed. The hoops will protect the lights better than other designs.

jeepmor

13. May 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    puttdog

puttdog [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks folks, I am new here and your detailed and thoughtful responses were incredibly helpful. very much appreciated!

based upon the responses, it sounds like:

* ARB is a good choice, but I should check out some of the other reputable/recommended brands (researching that now).
    * I likely won't be able to reuse my stock fog lamps but the switch and wiring harness may make it a bit easier.
    * I may be able to add the winch after bumper installation, but don't count on it.

moreover, if I want a heavy duty bumper like ARB or alike, I should think about upgrading my coils unless I like the idea of losing 1+" of ride in the front.

two follow up questions:

* OME 886s were suggested. I have a 2006 Double Cab 4x4 TRD, stock except for Snugtop camper. Will this work well?
    * Do I need to do anything to the back if I upgrade the front coils?

thanks!

best,
    alex

14. May 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    It personally did it to mine. Removed the skid plate thing under it and slid the winch right in. The winch needs to be clocked for ARB bumpers, but it will bolt in. I can attest first hand that it works.

15. May 15, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Just did the same thing... I put an AAL on the rear with my TSB 4 leaf springs and I am sitting almost level.

16. May 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    1. Correct
    2. Correct (sell the fogs to help offset cost of new lights)
    3. I slid my winch up under with the help of a buddy.

4. 886s are only to be used with OME struts or possibly 5100s (though not recommended). This will still give you lift over stock height. To maintain stock height with the ARB I might suggest 884s or 885s? I'm not certain.

5.If you do get lift in the front you will likely want to raise the rear. Might try a 1" block or an AAL.

17. Jun 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    tim allan

tim allan Well-Known Member

Member:
    apex, nc
    Vehicle:
    2017 double cab trd offroad
    are the 886s 3" lift springs?

18. Jun 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    one word of advise when installing the bumper. the specifications states between 15mm to 20mm gap between the bumper and fender lines, make sure it's the appropriate gap. i only did a 10mm gap on mine, and now when i go over rail road track or rough surfaces i hear a "bang" noise from the bumper. Now when i get some time i'll have to drill some new holes to "lock the bumper" into place again. and the fog light kit from ARB is 6821201

Products Discussed in

To Top