1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Full PIAA 510 fog lights write up and review

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by claw, May 14, 2011.

1. May 14, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    claw

claw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab, 4 Banger
    Tonneau cover, bed lights, fog lights, VHF radio
    I recently acquired a pair of PIAA 510 fog lights and wanted to do a very thorough install write up with a review as soon as inclement weather is available to play in.

And the accompanying wiring harness… With an inline fuse and connectors to simplify running the wire it was pretty good, however I of course had to do things MY way instead

I started by running the harness out with the longest light connector going to the passenger opening. The plastic cover pieces have one tab on the side that depresses and allows the whole thing to pop right out. I then ran the wire to this spot between the bracket and the aluminum posts at the very bottom lip of the bumper. Later I secured the wire to these brackets with zip ties.

This conveniently put the other light plug at the driver’s side fog light location.
    I was then able to run the harness up to the top and then back toward the cabin side of the engine compartment.

At this point the wiring harness no longer suited my needs. I cut the power and inline fuse and attached a spade connector to incorporate my additional fuse block. The two smaller wires coming out of the relay (one black and one white) then go to the switch. I ran these wires along the back wall and along a preexisting harness back to the passenger side.

I then dropped the two wires down to the air conditioner condensation drain and passed through the firewall alongside of the rubber tube.

The wires were then passed back to the drivers side to the intended switch location. Wires from the switch were passed down through the opening and to the bottom of the dash trim below the wheel. The blanks can be worked out with two very small screwdrivers; one on top and one on bottom. Once one is out, a finger can reach in and pop the next in line out if the room is necessary.

A power source was needed for the switch and I wanted to have one that was only active with the ignition on. I removed the kick plate on the lower outside of the driver’s foot well and rooted around. I eventually found a plug that was taped up and unused. Supposedly some people have a plug behind the blanks in the switch panel, but unfortunately not me. I used a multimeter to check voltages and found, for my particular plug, that the pink wire was hot when the ignition was on. I cut enough tape off and spliced the power wire from the connector that passed through the firewall. Sufficient use of shrink tube and electrical tape put it back to almost new. The connector from the switch was plugged into the connector to the relay .

I quickly plugged a fog light into a connector and checked that everything worked. The wires inside the cab were then zip tied together and tucked behind the carpet, trim pieces, and dash to be 100% concealed. From an electrical perspective, installation was complete. Mounting the lights was all that remained.

The location for the fog lights has molding in the plastic that obviously is used for the stock fog lights, which supposedly mount by clicking into the bumper. I pulled the wires from the harness through the hole to check that I had sufficient working room. The PIAA lights have a mount with an adjustable base and a bolt which would be perfect to mount to something directly below or behind the light.

Luckily, a small hole existed in the molded bumper that would work well to hold the bolt of the fog light. While this seems sturdy and has held well over some rough terrain and ~200 miles, a firm metal bracket would be ideal, but this may suffice quite well for a long time. A longer M10x1.50 bolt 80mm long was inserted into the bracket. A bolt and locktite was used to tightly hold the bracket. A second nut was then placed on the bolt with a washer and inserted into the molded fog light opening. I was able to adjust the depth that the fog light sat, the angle to aim it, and test it all before finally installed. When everything was aligned I applied locktite to every nut, and used a nylon-inserted nut for the very back nut.

Without the PIAA cage, the molded bumper is visible around the edges and looks unfinished. However, if the cage was left on (and used to align and aim the light) the final look is very tidy. Even though the plastic mounting point is not extremely sturdy, the lights are snug with little wiggle and seem to hold well.

Let me know what you think and a review will come as soon as the opportune time to test them arises.

Fog 1.jpg
    Fog 2.jpg
    3.jpg
    Fog 4.jpg
    Fog 5.jpg
    Fog 6.jpg
    Fog 7.jpg
    Fog 8.jpg
    Fog 9.jpg
    Fog 10.jpg
    Fog 11.jpg
    Fog 12.jpg
    Fog 13.jpg
    Fog 14.jpg
    Fog 15.jpg
    Fog 16.jpg
    Fog 17.jpg
    Fog 18.jpg
    Fog 19.jpg
    Fog 20.jpg
    Fog 21.jpg
    Fog 22.jpg
    Fog 23.jpg
    Fog 24.jpg
    Fog 25.jpg
    Fog 26.jpg
    Fog 27.jpg
    Fog 28.jpg

Tex-Tac likes this.
  2. May 14, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    claw

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    Finishing touches on the controller should happen in the next week or two and review will come as soon as an opportunity arises!!

3. May 14, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    claw

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    Also just realized this may be better suited to the lighting section...if so would a moderator move it please?

4. May 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Great write up OP

5. May 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    claw

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I know that several people have done this before but figured it wouldn't hurt to have another...

6. May 15, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    IndianTaco

IndianTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    great write up claw looks great!!!

7. May 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    claw

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks David! I finally have at least one thing to help identify me around Bozeman now ;-)

8. Jul 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    claw

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    Finally bought a $40 OEM fog switch and wired it myself. I had just been using the PIAA switch until now. The switch is wired with 1 and 3 connected and getting power, 2 is grounded, and 4 is to relay according to the diagram here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/at...ay-fog-light-kits-08-09-10-tacomas-switch.jpg

The light is not like OEM, where the illumination is related to interior lighting and nothing else. Instead this is set where the illumination is on when the fogs are on. I prefer this to see when my lights are on or not.

This project is pretty much complete, now I just need to do the driving lights :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Oct 20, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    great hints. One thing. do you know where you got the 80m m10 1.50 bolt? I can only find ones that long with thread 1/2 way up.

Edit: Went with carriage bolt.

10. Oct 23, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    claw

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    Glad you found something to work! My hardware all came from the local Ace hardware store.

11. Oct 24, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Thank you. Your writeup gave me the confidence to do the install.

12. Feb 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    bootboiler

bootboiler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Santa Cruz
    Camberg UCA's, locking tailgate, hid driving lights, B 5100's, OME HD Leafs, bud built plates, Relentless rear bumper, sliders with kick, breathers on pumpkins, satochi grill, bed lights, JVC 730BT Head Unit, Finch Four Wheel Camper FWC, 1Up bike rack, 265/75 16 tires
  13. Feb 13, 2012 at 4:56 AM
    cverneau

cverneau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    I got my hands on PIAA 510 super white lights and plan on putting them in the standard fog locations same as the OP. Has anyone ever put in the yellow fog bulb into one of the super white housings?? I know the only difference is the lens and bulb when you purchase the PIAA fog lights, but I'm curious what the yellow bulb would look like with the super white lens.

14. Feb 13, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    speedydave

speedydave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hickory, Nc
    Vehicle:
    Mustang GT
    Good write up, I have been contemplating something similar!

15. May 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM

10.21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    BHLM, Satoshi, Remove Mud Flaps, Debadge.
    Good write up Claw, this is definitely going into my Bookmarks. As far as wiring the lights to the OEM switch, I'm still a little confused (not too good with wiring). Can you elaborate a little or just break it down Barney-style.

16. Nov 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    lemons

lemons LOCO 4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC Offroad 4X4
    Icon coil overs W/King 14 inch 700lb springs and super bump bump stops, Allpro Expo leaf springs, Allpro Ubolt kit W/timbren Bump stops, Dif Drop Kit, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Badges painted Rust-Oleum bed liner, Color Matched TRD Sport Grill W/Grille Craft Insert, TRD seat covers, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Flyzeye's , fog light anytime mod, ABS Off mod, ATO skid plates, ATO rear H/C bumper, BAMF sliders w/kick out, CBI front bumper, Engo 10000lb winch, Rigid D2 foglights, Piaa 510 fog lights, cobra CB w/firestix antenna, AFE snorkel
    I know it's a really old post but had to comment. great write up, they are easy to install however these are the worst fog lights I have ever used. I've had mine on for almost a year and only put about 10hrs on them before one of the lights burnt out. On top of that my stock for lights were twice as bright. I would rather pay a couple of extra bucks for some Rigid lights that will work for a very long time and are very bright. Don't waste your money on Piaa.

17. Oct 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Sounds like a problem with the bulbs instead of the actual lights/lenses. I have the 6inch fogs on my truck w/ the ion crystal lens and i found the way they disperse the light much more effective than the factory fogs. Obviously its comparing apples and oranges, but from my experiences, i would try changing the bulbs out with some higher quality ones before ruling out the lenses. I was considering some of these but now i am questioning them. Thanks for your feedback, ill be taking that into consideration now.

Edited to add:i also found that taking the piaa covers off significantly increased the amount of light output from these.

You might try nokya yellow bulbs also, ive run them in my fogs in my ARB bumper for about 6-7months now with nothing but good results. Bear in mind that is running them as driving lights for about 1.5 hrs per day

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top